The Seven Heirs of Ophaesia: Part One (WIP)

I started with a prince who is very shy
The hate of the king is making him an insecure child always seeking for the love of his mother.

I wonder what he will become :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I wasnā€™t going to comment at first but seeing as the poll seemsā€¦skewed that Nethica is supported as a bi character but Jasiphae isnā€™t, wanted to add as a pansexual person myself i was psycheā€™d to see that Jasiphae might also become a bisexual love interest because wooo more ladies for my princess and not only allows me to not have to force myself to make a male character in order to romance her but I also believe in your ability to write a believable non-stereotypical bi character. Like not to say that I canā€™t see where the others are coming from, because I can! In fact I wouldā€™ve been vehemently against this if both characters were gay and then turned bisexual just out of demand (because i view that as decreasing representation as opposed to increasing it, if i make any sense. English isnā€™t my first language so I want to establish that I donā€™t want to argue/heated debate, I just want to provide my perspective)

That said, this is also a fantasy series - there are also people who play these things as escapism just as much as there are people who play it for realism and besides I believe you can do this without compromising your vision of her character so I really hope you will consider her if you also consider Nethica (though I also want to note that I will respect your decision regardless)

8 Likes

I had to scroll back like 60 posts to start replying to you guys. :joy:

Paladins have since the beginning required people who join their ranks renounce their family and any claims they may have (as do those who become priests of Myteus or priestesses of Naphenia). Itā€™s so that the order may have the absolute loyalty of its members. For many people who become Paladins or priests/priestesses, they donā€™t have any family to begin with.

No son of a king becomes a Paladin because of the chaos that would ensue should every other member of the royal family perish and leave the Paladin prince as the sole remainder of Rithalusā€™s line. A direct descendant of Rithalus must sit on the throne of Ophaesia, but a Paladin swears away all his family ties before Tepharon, which would make a Paladin prince sitting on the throne horrible blasphemy.

Absolutely. A Queen Regnant MC can be as brutal as you like.

Olarion is actually already in love with someone. It starts off unrequited but is eventually reciprocated, regardless of your actions. Whether he ends up with that person in the long run, however, depends on your choices, but Olarion is only ever interested in that person.

Very much so. Being in any sort of relationship with Sebriel would cause some to view you as a threat.

Iā€™ve always pictured it as an Eowyn or Song of the Lioness sort of situation, to be honest. Disguise yourself as a boy and hope for the best. But in all seriousnessā€¦

If Terrisen takes you with him, it is a good deal easier as he is going there legally. Heā€™d sneak you in as part of his group and help you stay under the radar of those who would recognize you and send you home (such as Neraven).

You can also enlist the help of Senetha. He will be very, very reluctant to help but can be persuaded. Going with him offers more anonymity than going with Terrisen and fewer consequences for you in the end.

Regardless of how you decide to sneak away to fight, you may be caught early on and sent home. You may make it all the to where the armies camped but be caught before the first battle. You may be caught mid-battle. You may be caught afterwards. Regardless of your choices,
you will, at some point, be found out. It can go a lot of different ways for you. Itā€™s one of the, biggest branches, if not the biggest, in the game.

Incidentally, the war isnā€™t Eravenā€™s fault at all. He actually did everything he could to prevent it. Heā€™s a dick, but he grew up during peacetime and would have liked to keep it that way. He never wanted to see any of his children (except, perhaps, you) have to march off to war ā€“ he takes it as a failure on his part as both a king and a father.

It is possible! You can become very close with Terrisen and Baelira in particular.

She may not approve of them to begin with, but her opinion can change.

You get to meet your maternal grandparents, as well as some of your various other Maeliah relations, in chapter two.

Iā€™m surprised so many picture Adam Driver for Atheron! I was partly inspired by John Stamos while creating him, but Henry Cavill as Theseus isnā€™t a bad pick either. Atheron has a strong jaw, a short beard, and looks older than he really is due to spending so much time at sea, which has also tanned his skin considerably. He starts to go grey at his temples once heā€™s in his early-thirties. I also picture him with dimples. I have a personal preference for older men, and heā€™s like a sort of wish-fulfillment for me lmao.

I think you guys are overestimating Eravenā€™s opinion of Atheron. He likes him in the way one likes a person you mostly know by reputation. If you marry Atheron, he and Eraven butt heads on multiple occasions. Atheron does not like being used as a pawn, and Eraven doesnā€™t like to be questioned. Ysonia dislikes Atheron because you are forced to marry him. She knows what itā€™s like to be in an unhappy marriage, and she would like to spare you from one.

For women, at least past your shoulders. Any shorter would be unfashionable. You get the chance to cut your hair short as a girl in the game. There are a lot of people who would have something to say about this.

ā€œFashionableā€ is a character trait, so I plan for you to be able to have a lot of influence on Ophaesian fashion. This can mean more women cutting their hair shorter.

Well, the blonde color of House Dahlas has its origin in two other houses: House Haelith (Queen Seriahā€™s house) and Verathae (Queen Alapharenā€™s house). The blonde originates more from House Haelith, as their members tend to have fair, ashy blonde hair. The warmth ā€“ the ā€œhoneyā€ qualifier ā€“ comes from House Verathae, members of which have warm brown hair, such as Alapharenā€™s honey brown. So the House Dahlas blonde now looks more like this, while the Maeliah blonde looks more like this. For reference, House Haelith blonde is like this, and House Verathae brown is like this.

Iā€™mā€¦ very particular about colors lol. I have a strong mental image for each character, which a lot of times just doesnā€™t align with anyone who already exists.

Such as completely renounce your Dahlas name and instead be entirely Maeliah? If so, somewhat.

Thatā€™s very much how the Maeliah feel about the MCā€™s marriage to Atheron. Theyā€™re already furious with how mistreated Ysonia is by Eraven, but to do this is an outrage, especially given past history between House Dahlas and House Maeliah.

You can somewhat, but only so much progress can be made with the King. You can be the perfect child, the objective best of your siblings, but he will still resent you because of your mother. He may reluctantly approve of some of your actions, of who you make yourself out to be, but youā€™ll never be secure in his affections. There are some people you can simply never please.

If Jasiphae is bisexual and you pursue her as a woman, there are many who wouldnā€™t even see your relationship with her as potentially romantic ā€“ they would think youā€™re just good friends. It would definitely be taken less seriously by outsiders. Not by Terrisen or Jasiphae though.

The temporary love interests are, for the most part, not big deals and are moreso there for your character to experience heartbreak, to break hearts themselves, and philander.

Iā€™m very shocked as well! I did not think he was so popular, but Iā€™m glad he is. I think heā€™s an interesting character. Thereā€™s certainly some depth to him.

You canā€™t become a priest, but you can believe youā€™re God-touched. Others can believe so as well, sometimes whether you do or not.

@Zoilus I love your fancast of Ysonia! Thatā€™s not too far off from how I picture her. I have a different mental image of Jasiphae and Kaedra personally, but itā€™s honestly so cool to see how you guys imagine them. :blush: Though the more I look at Holland Roden, the more I can see her as Kaedra. Kaedraā€™s hair is darker, though ā€“ so dark, it some light it looks nearly black. Color-wise, something similar to this. For the curious, I picture Jasiphaeā€™s hair color to be this, like a Targaryen blonde.

Iā€™m glad someone asked! Heā€™s been missing out on the love, and I think he was one of the first ROā€™s I came up with. Spoilers ahead!

His full name is Senetha Tephys. Tephys as a surname is given to an orphan boy sent to train with the Order of Tepharon. (Orphan girls who grow up in a temple of Naphenia are given Naphenys, while boys who grew up in a temple of Myteus get Mytys.) When you first meet him, he is training to be a Paladin. Terrisen met him when he went to the Temple of Tepharon for his thirteenth birthday and they struck up a friendship. Terrisen is fascinated with Paladins, and while he cannot become one, he wants to train like one. At the Kingā€™s insistence, a Paladin begins to train Terrisen, and he brings along Senetha so Terrisen has someone his own age to train with. You meet Senetha when he is training with Terrisen.

Heā€™s the same height and age as Terrisen, though he seems older due to his stern personality. Heā€™s disciplined and austere, even by Paladin standards, and quite fastidious as well. Heā€™s a perfectionist and holds himself to impossibly high standards. Paladin training agrees with him, giving him an outlet and a way to control the world around him to a degree. He hates feeling powerless and out of control.

Paladins, priests, and priestesses are strictly forbidden from engaging in any sort of romantic or sexual relationships. Senetha tends to follow rules to the letterā€¦ and were it not for you, he would follow this one as well. He falls for you first, when youā€™re both still young, but he does what he can to ignore his attraction and push you away. He shuts down, making it difficult to get to know him, and heā€™ll even be mean in order to drive you off. He does everything within in his power to stop anything from happening between the two of you, even though, for him, the temptation is nearly unbearable. Under his stoic exterior is a great deal of passion.

If it was discovered that the two of you were carrying on a relationship, both of you would be in danger.

Of the ROā€™s, Senetha is the most skilled fighter due to his training to be a Paladin. When youā€™re young, you can ask Senetha to train you to fight.

Thank you so much. Your confidence in my ability means more than words can describe. :heart::heart::heart:

I didnā€™t feel that way at all! You brought up some very reasonable concerns, and I wanted to make sure you guys knew I heard you. I really appreciate what youā€™ve said, as it made me examine my actions, which is never a bad thing. Criticism and feedback is so critical to being a better writer. I always appreciate it. :heart:

Thank you! I seriously appreciate your faith in me. :blush:

I only have the first chapter of the game available to test, and Iā€™m not at the moment looking for beta testers for unreleased parts of the game. Thank you for your interest though! :slight_smile:

32 Likes

Can a female MC not go through with the arranged marriage or get out of it somehow?

1 Like

Yes, as far as I remember Fawkes already mentioned that MC can avoid it.

8 Likes

Thanks thatā€™s great! I usually hate arranged marriages unless thereā€™s a way to get out of them and sorry Atheron you seem cool, but only way my Princess is marrying you is through her own choice.

3 Likes

[clutches heart]

How did you know my first crush was Uncle Jesse???

Thatā€™s it, I donā€™t think I can legitimately romance anyone else in the cast. Iā€™ll do it to see what happens, but my heart officially belongs to Atheron! :heart_eyes:

The dimples are just icing on the seven-tier cake that is Atheron.

8 Likes

Augh! clutches chest

My knight-in-shining-armor. It hurts.

I hope the relationship isnā€™t a forbidden one for the entire game. :open_mouth:

9 Likes

Eh? My mc already is a boy? :confused: Still disguising as a more minor noble or an officer is likely to be noticed in no time and joining the peasant levies/conscripts is both highly risky and not likely to be a position from which we can do much to influence the overall course of the war.

Only Senetha, no dice with persuading Nethica, or members of his family who might go?

Now thereā€™s a thought, why not simply ask dear old dad, or would that only get male mcā€™s ā€œvolunteeredā€ for the suicide missions?

Iā€™m curious what it might mean for male mcā€™s to be trendsetterā€™s for male fashion. Talk about wish fulfillment. :grin:

If they think thatā€™s bad, Iā€™d like to see them once my mc hopefully gay marries Sebby. :wink:

Any cute noblemen from the great big empire to the South and Verey among them, as that would allow my mc to pick up quite the taste for cute, exotic foreigners even before meeting Sebby.

4 Likes

I have a feeling theyā€™ll give a slightly warmer reception to the MC compared to King Eraven, considering the MC represents Maeliahā€™s stake in the royal house.

Aldrovanda would get a kick out of manipulating the world of fashion for sure, but this makes me want to play a dedicated ā€œfashionistaā€ character, one for each gender.

9 Likes

Are all of the ROā€™s okay with you romancing others or will there be any jealousy? Your list of ROā€™s all sound amazing and I wonā€™t be able to pick just one. And how would a non fighting female MC be able to manipulate the war to her advantage? I like to play sneaky, behind the scenes characters.

8 Likes

Yā€™all know what I think would be perfect? A scene with Senetha carrying the MC on his back! Due to an injury perhaps. Itā€™d really fit the imagery of a knight dutifully serving his lady.

9 Likes

Yeah, I like to play as Ysonia too, lol.
I mean, my F! MC is her motherā€™s daughter except she will have a happily arranged marriage to Adam Driver Henry Cavill John Stamos Atheron.

4 Likes

Will Ysonia be happy that we have a happy marriage with Atheron, @Fawkes?

(presses fingers to lips) Dimples and gray hair. And butting that gray-templed head with Eraven. Oh my.

While weā€™re talking about family, I am so glad we get to meet our maternal grandparents soon. I canā€™t wait to see what kind of family Ysonia came from.

Re: Senetha ā€“ will he fall in love with the MC no matter what, or are there certain personality thresholds they have to meet first? Or are you planning something like the friendship/rivalry mechanism from Dragon Age 2?

Edit: echoing Pandaā€™s sentiment about poly relationships where everyone involved communicates and accepts whatā€™s going on - please. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen that implemented in a game, but I would love to see how it works out.

7 Likes

@Fawkes

Will dear old dad try to force the MC into a vocation that makes them celibate?

Youā€™re just making it sound more temptingā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

A male person? :smirk:

(I mean, if heā€™s gay, it would be wrong for him to have to end up with a womanā€¦ :disappointed_relieved:)

Well, now I just have to have a third character for Senetha, tooā€¦ :roll_eyes: Stop making me like your characters so much! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Or his prince. :blush:

7 Likes

Is this option only going to be available to rebellious MCs, or can we do it for purely aesthetic reasons? And how short is short? Just above the shoulders, like the men? Chin length? Pixie cut?

Finally, a noble cause for which my MC can use the power she plans to amass!

Does the MC need to be skilled at combat to be of use in the battle, or can a MC with high Warfare but little to no fighting skills also succeed?

3 Likes

I hope there is an option to trick the king into letting you go such as, requesting an audience and as he throws the MC out they causally mention how annoyed it would make your mother.

Or just point out how easily you could dieā€¦ :innocent:

4 Likes