The Seven Heirs of Ophaesia: Part One (WIP)

Will it be possible for the MC to think they are godtouched and use that to become like a powerful priest?

2 Likes

Well, I was speaking about all games, and yes, there is a very definite bias in favour of straight romance. Even in Hosted Games, if a game has an imbalance, itā€™s usually in favour of straight romance. A single game favouring non-straight players (and characters) will not change this.

(Also, itā€™s not like straight players will be losing any potential ROs due to thisā€¦ :confused: )

21 Likes

In my opinion making all ROs or even a majority just cheapens the characters and makes being bi just something to be used in games. I think having a healthy selection of gay, straight and bi is best.

11 Likes

Let me elaborate more because this happens often. Of course everyone is entitled to their two cents, so Iā€™m going to include mine.

Including lesbians in a game only to be there for a male gaze or ā€œbecause theyā€™re hotā€ is not representation. Adding lgbt characters in a story or game for an element of tragedy is not representation. Adding a female character to a game only so she can be subjected and then saved is not representation. In the same vein, adding or ā€˜turningā€™ people bi just so people can romance them is not representation. Itā€™s disparaging and literally using my/an orientation as a game tool because itā€™s convenient, or a vehicle for romance, and it happens a lot.

I do feel when thereā€™s a large disparity it should be remedied to be fair to every player, but by other means when possible.

The cast in this case as is is very diverse and everyone has several options, which is very rare.

(On top of that, itā€™s nice to see a promiscuous character who isnā€™t bisexual (not that thereā€™s anything wrong with being promiscuous, it just so often happens that way itā€™s nice to see it shifted) and one comfortable enough in their sexuality to have ā€˜a moment of curiosityā€™ and deciding that isnā€™t their thing without making a deal about it. Both also rare.)

So again, my vote is a big 'ol no on turning Nethica and Jasiphae bi because itā€™s fairly balanced as is. If it wasnā€™t, I could see the possible merits for it.

Of course I respect Fawkes and the wonderful writing to pieces but it is something that is disheartening to be so passed over all the time and in such a rare instance of this done well I am definitely going to butt in with a different perspective when I usually donā€™t. (It happens a lot!)

29 Likes

Personally, Iā€™ve always pictured Atheron as Henry Cavill from Immortals.

But yeah, I was surprised too by how popular he is. Like Phoenix pointed out before me, it probably has to do with his route being the one we have the most information about. And honestly, itā€™s quite in-character for Sebriel to tantalize us with hints while keeping his cards close to his very lovely chest.

13 Likes

@violet_dewinter
Oof. This is now my fancast too.

3 Likes

@violet_dewinter
hot doggity
[fans self] I donā€™t think anything can sway my Adam Driver fancast but I am tempted.

Itā€™s more to do that, for whatever reason, I always always imagined Atheron as being not so conventionally attractive, as least not when compared to the nobles, who I imagine to be CW series level attractive (just as a group).

3 Likes

Oh, I definitely agree that Atheron is less conventionally attractive than a typical courtier (CW series level attractive, ha). Iā€™d never pick Tudors-era Cavill for him, for example.

To me, that shot is less about the actual physical features and more about the air, if that makes sense? Heā€™s ready for a fight, but heā€™s not going to enjoy it, heā€™s just doing his duty. Thatā€™s the Atheron I see in my head.

5 Likes

Speaking of fan-casts and art:

Hereā€™s my Ysonia.

Jasiphae.

And Holland Roden for Kaedra.

5 Likes

I am being so spoiled with these tidbits of whatā€™s to come, so forgive me @Fawkes , but would it be possible to know a bit more about Senetha?

5 Likes

Well, Iā€™m not speaking about all games, just this game. I donā€™t believe that the answer to imbalance in other games is imbalance in this game and changing the straight/bi/gay ratio from 3/4/2 to 1/6/2 looks pretty imbalanced to me.

Really? My reasoning has nothing to do with this. I just donā€™t like it when any orientation appears to be over-represented among ROs, Iā€™d have the same problem if 2/3 of the ROs were straight.

4 Likes

I absolutely agree and after reading your responses and am considering changing my vote, however, Jesiphae is the only RO that caught my eye (not that the others arenā€™t amazing!) but after several romantic setbacks in my own life, Iā€™d rather my escapist fiction not reflect reality :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Dang! Check out Olarion beating out every other sibling combined.
Talk about a curbstomp! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

Ah, yikes. I, for some reason, did not expect possibly making Jasiphae and Nethica bi to be such an issue. That is definitely an oversight on my part, as you guysā€™ concern is entirely justified. I very much see where you guys are coming from, those of you who donā€™t like that Iā€™m considering making Nethica and Jasiphae bi.

Iā€™m going to address this issue first in a separate post before I get to reply to everyone else.

I definitely see where youā€™re coming from here, as Iā€™m bi/pan myself and have been disappointed with representation in the media many times. There is a lack of bisexual characters, and those who are bisexual are often highly sexualized and a stereotype. Iā€™m also generally not a fan of characters in games who are ā€œplayer-sexualā€ as I find it does cheapen their characters.

That said, in the case of Nethica specifically, having him be bisexual is something I have given a lot of thought about. Iā€™ve been considering it for a while now, thinking of how it would affect the plot and his character, and I find that, for him, it makes sense and would suit him. His bisexuality would be handled differently than the bisexuality of the other bisexual characters already within the game. His romance plotline would change quite a bit for a male MC and in a way that, I think, would add further depth to his character and to major events that occur later in the game.

With Nethica, having him be bisexual makes sense, more so than leaving him straight, I believe, but I wanted yā€™allā€™s opinion on the matter.

Itā€™s a different case with Jasiphae ā€“ I mainly asked because a bisexual Nethica would leave only her and Atheron straight, and while Atheron will remain straight, I thought perhaps I might as well make Jasiphae bisexual if Iā€™m going to do so with Nethica. In this case, your criticisms were entirely right; I did not consider it for the right reasons and only thought to do it to simply make people happy. I did not fully think it through, which absolutely was a mistake on my part, and for that, I apologize.

I remain on the fence about Jasiphae being bisexual. It wouldnā€™t take away anything from her character or her part in various plotlines in the game, but it also would not add to it. Iā€™m personally of the opinion that if it does not add anything then I shouldnā€™t do it. Iā€™ll allow people to continue to vote and voice their opinions on this matter, but I may make an executive decision as the writer that goes against the results if I feel itā€™s better for the integrity of the story Iā€™m telling.

I hope this clears things up somewhat? I just want you guys to know that I hear you and am very much taking your concerns to heart. Sexuality and representation are very important issues, and I donā€™t want to make light of it. If you find that Iā€™m not handling an issue like this as well as I should, please let me know. Feedback and criticism like this are extremely important as they not only help me be a better writer but often can help me simply be a better, more thoughtful person in general.

32 Likes

I actually will be ok with your decision regarding these characters. You have the writing skill to represent bi characters with respect and without stereotyping and all the issues you talk about above.

As such, if you do retcon them to be bi-sexual, Iā€™ll look forward to seeing them as you develop them.

Iā€™m really not one that subscribes to the player-sexual ā€œsolutionā€ because of many reasons best gone over elsewhere.

So go forward how you think the characters should be developed and I will be happy with whatever you do write.

Iā€™ve never been disappointed in your writing ability so far.

20 Likes

I had a novel but alas, Iā€™m trying to banish my bad habit of talking too much. :sweat_smile:

I would say that if you have your mind made up, and itā€™s something you really want to do, do it! I will always respect an authorā€™s final word or their vision, even if I personally dislike or disagree with it, even if it means this game is not for me in this case, because itā€™s not mine and they have every right to see things differently. (And I truly hope you didnā€™t feel put on the spot, or felt that you needed to defend yourself - that was never my intention! :sob: Just wanted to share my feelings/thoughts.)

A thing Iā€™ve learned is that you canā€™t please everyone at the same time, and people will always view things in varying ways from on all separate aspects, so just stay true to your writing and goals and youā€™ll be happier in the end. :blush:

4 Likes
  1. You should make Nethica bisexual because even female MC might
    like him.
  2. No, because Jasiphae should be interested in boys in general.
  3. You should add another Romance interest and come up with the new character on your own because The the character is special.
    4.The Romance interest Iā€™m excited about is Jasiphae because she is beautiful.
  4. The sibling Iā€™m most excited to meet is Terrisen because he and the MC might get along.
    May I please beta test the game? I always wanted to play The Seven Heirs Of Ophaesia.
2 Likes

lol My dude, itā€™s not even written yet. Have patience. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Heā€™s currently straight, not gay.

6 Likes

Well, you certainly can play whatā€™s written already. The link is in the first post and by now moved to dashingdon, so trying out what is writen by now is no problem, however I think it will probably take some time until the game reaches beta stage, just follow this thread until then and remind Fawkes that you want to beta test when it happens :slightly_smiling_face:. Iā€™m sure it will be greatly appreciated.

3 Likes