The Seven Heirs of Ophaesia: Part One (WIP)

Wait, have you mentioned who Ophaesia goes to war with earlier, or is that spoilers?

Also, since you said the MC can influence how the land war goes, does that mean they can actually take part in the war or merely give some advice at the right time?

And as an unrelated question, what’s the King’s opinion of your siblings? Who does he like the most, and who (other than the MC, of course) does he like the least?

8 Likes

Who’s the arranged marriage option for male mc’s? (If it’s not to spoilerly that is)

1 Like

If it’s not too spoilery, what does Ysonia think of the ROs?

5 Likes

I don’t think male mcs will have an arranged marriage. See this post: The Seven Heirs of Ophaesia: Part One (WIP) - Now with a Library!
@Fawkes Will it be possible for the mc to have feelings for someone who doesn’t feel the same?

5 Likes

If it’s not too spoilery either, what does Ysonia think of your siblings, for that matter?

4 Likes

This is so funny, I’d love to see it happen in game :joy: Probably not to us but to some random nobles we can befriend, maybe be the trusted contact between them. I need a fanfiction for this

10 Likes

I’m writing something as soon as the wiki is up. :grin:

3 Likes

I love learning stuff about Atheron. Still my favorite male RO, even though dad likes him.

2 Likes

Okay so I know you said that Verey is Ophaesia’s greatest enemy and in chapter one it says Baelira becomes wife to his greatest enemy so does she end up marrying Zevrya? Could you give us a bit more information about Jasiphae’s role in this story since we know so much about Atheron and Sebriel?

6 Likes

I love this so much, you have no idea. This phrase popped into my head as soon as I read the new Atheron section: “My mother and sisters may have married great men. But I am luckier than them all, because I married a good one.”

A few questions to help me get a visual feel for the world: how long do men usually wear their hair? Are there any colors associated with particular houses (or for weddings…)? Is it acceptable or frowned upon for women to go with their hair unbound? What period of clothing do you generally see for the characters? For now I’m torn between 1490s fashion, like on the Showtime Borgias, and the styles shown in Lely portraits.

And a last, super self-indulgent question: which masquerade costume would the characters choose? :slight_smile: Ysonia, the ROs, our siblings….you can answer for any, all, or none as you like, I’m just curious!

17 Likes

Atheron seems to be a pretty good guy!

Just how much of a slap in the face is it to the mother’s family with the marriage to Atheron?

3 Likes

It’s a very big slap…probably enough of a slap to encourage them to at least consider rebellion. Ysonia’s family is one of the most powerful noble families in Ophaesia, while Atheron wasn’t a noble at all until the king made him one.

3 Likes

Just replayed through the first chapter, after months of almost forgetting about Seven Heirs I had forgotten how much I liked it! I hope whatever illness you had before is now gone (you had some problems with your spine if I recall correctly Fawkes?).

Anyways I do have a question: what’s the rough time period Seven Heirs is based on? From playing the first chapter when we go to the garden the guards carry swords which makes me think its medieval, but with the mention of the baroque styles of the palace and the harpsichord skill you mentioned it makes think of the 1600s. Is Ophelia culturally forward whilst its military still lingers in the medieval ages? Or were the guard’s swords simply ceremonial?

4 Likes

The king definitely hates his wife that much!

2 Likes

Ooh I have more questions (sorry!).

What are gender roles like for Ophaesian commoners? What are they like in countries outside of Ophaesia (especially Dharsani empire). Will our princesses be expected to know how to spin and weave like noblewomen in many cultures IRL?

A bit of a side note, there’s actually this ancient Chinese proverb that I think fits the Ophaesian attitude on aristocratic women quite well. 女子無才便是德 (Nǚzǐ wú cái biàn shì dé). This roughly translates to, “A talentless/ignorant woman is a virtuous woman”. It just brings more satisfaction having characters that defy this attitude.

14 Likes

You guys are starting to ask questions that lead to major spoilers! I want to keep some things surprises, but I’m going to let you guys in on what I have planned more. :wink:

Oh, it’s not a competition. Olarion and Sebriel aren’t interested in each other; I simply think that they share a lot of traits that would make them fairly compatible lovers if they were. As for his sexuality, I will confirm that he is gay. How is love life ends up depends somewhat on your choices.

It is, but most places in Selanes are. Why build a new city from scratch when there’s the ruins of one you can repurpose.

I forgot to respond to this. :woman_facepalming: Not really. He more so tries to keep you from marrying anyone that would make you a threat. Or, you know, happy.

Making the male MC join the Paladins would effectively take care of the problem he poses for Eraven as Paladins renounce their family name and any claims they may have. Hence why legitimate sons of the king don’t become Paladins. Plus, the backlash from making the MC a Paladin makes it not worth it. The Maeliahs would go to war over this. While other houses may be glad the MC is no longer in play, the precedence it would set would anger them as well. Better to just sabotage the MC. It’s petty, and the Maeliahs won’t go to war over pettiness. They will be petty back though, and the Maeliahs can out-petty anyone.

The Dharsani come from the Dharsani Empire (also called Dharsan, the Empire, Empire of Dharsan, etc etc) to the south, across the sea. Their land is inspired by North Africa and southern Asia. The Empire is massive and is home to a variety of peoples and climates. The north is arid and home to the capital, Sefekashr, which is called Sephicos by most Selanesians. Most people of Sephicos (and Dharsani as a whole, really) are dark-skinned, though it is a trading mecca and as such attracts people of every possible origin. Further south in Dharsani are peoples who resemble East Asians. They’re part of the most recently annexed territory of the Empire, and by that I mean they’ve been part of the Empire for 500+ years. The Empire is very, very old.

Southern Ophaesia tends to have deeper skintones than northern Ophaesia, and this is partly due to the fact a lot of people in southern Ophaesian have Dharsani somewhere in their lineage. Brother Kosphoren, a Priest of Myteus and your head tutor, is half-Dharsani.

Both female and male MCs can become the King or Queen Regnant of Ophaesia. It’s not easy, but that is the most powerful you can become.

Eraven would sooner use your sexuality as an excuse to disown you or even execute you. He won’t execute you in the game, but he would if he could get away with it. There’s a lot he would do if he could get away with it, none of it good. He’s a dick.

Nope! In no scenario do Sebriel and Olarion end up together, sorry. :sweat_smile:

I haven’t! Unless I mentioned it super early in this thread and forgot about it, but I doubt it as it is a major spoiler. But you guys seem to like spoilers so: Ophaesia goes to war with Verey… and another country.

Both! For both male and female MCs! You’re fifteen/sixteen when the war breaks out, and you’re not allowed to fight. That doesn’t have to stop you, though. You can sneak off to fight, either on your own or with the help of another character. If you have a good relationship with Terrisen, he’ll help you sneak off to the fighting, as he’s going off to fight himself. There are a lot of different outcomes for this, and you have the most control over how the war goes if you go fight.

He gets on fairly well with Neraven, but I’d say Terrisen is probably his favorite. He loves your sisters, Baelira most of all, and is often at odds with Olarion, who is probably his least favorite after you.

Ooh, this is a fun question! Let’s see…

• She doesn’t like Atheron at first and hates him when your fathers marries/tries to marry a female MC off to him. If the MC is in a relationship with him, she warms to him over time.
  • She’s very wary of Sebriel. He’s Vereyan and far more clever than she would like. It takes a lot of convincing for her to like him, let alone approve of him.
  • She is not a fan of Nethica’s at all early in the game, but this changes later in the game, for the most regardless of what the MC does.
  • She doesn’t like Mavrys’s family and by extension doesn’t trust him. She doesn’t have a very high opinion of him, but she doesn’t dislike him either. It’d be like disliking a puppy. She can grow very fond of him.
  • She does NOT approve of the MC being in a relationship of Senetha. She doesn’t have much against him personally, but she will try to get you to end any romantic relationship with him.
  • She has mixed feelings about Jasiphae. She appreciates her intelligence, but she hates her family and is wary of her by extension. She’ll discourage a relationship with her early in the game. Her opinion can be changed.
  • She warns the MC to be careful of Kaedra – and Kyrisen) soon after you meet them. She’s familiar with her family’s scheming and Kaedra’s own love for manipulation. She can be persuaded to change her mind somewhat, but she’ll always be suspicious.
  • She likes Iseriah right off the bat. She respects the Thyminaes and appreciates Iseriah’s rebellious nature. If, as Iseriah’s friend or lover, you get into mischief, Ysonia will happily help you get out of trouble.
  • Like Senetha, she does not like you with Pythia and will do what she can to end your relationship. She actively discourages you from being with her and will even warn her away from you.

Another great question!

• She does not like Neraven at all. He’s too much like Eraven and plus also he despises her.
  • She and Keralith do not get along, at all. It gets a little catty.
  • She pities Ilythis. She knows what it is like to marry a man much older than yourself and wouldn’t wish it on anyone.
  • She respects Olarion for his intelligence and thoughtfulness. He’s her favorite of your siblings.
  • Even when he is unkind to her, Ysonia cannot bring herself to hate Terrisen. She remembers how he was in the nursery growing up alongside you. She has a soft spot for him.
  • Like Terrisen, she remembers how Baelira was like in the nursery and also has a soft spot for her. She tends to avoid them both so she doesn’t have to endure their dislike.

Major spoilers: Baelira marries Zevya. How it goes down and what happens afterwards depends on your choices. This plotline can take you all the way to Verey.

Major spoilers: Jasiphae is originally involved with Terrisen. You and Terrisen can compete for her affections, either bitterly or good-naturedly. It’s a reason why Eraven and Ysonia do not want you to be with Jasiphae. There’s more to it, but it leads to one of the biggest spoilers in the game.

Oh dang. I love this. Can I use this?

Ahhhh, I love these kinds of questions! I’m a very visual person and have a huge interest in historical fashion, so I have thought about this a lot.

Male hair length varies depending on the country! And personal preference, of course.

• Most Ophaesians like their hair to be not-quite shoulder-length. Think Prince Caspian in the Narnia movies.
  • Vereyans like their hair close-cropped typically. Prince Zevya has grown his out, however, and some young men are following this trend.
  • Merlians wear their hair about the same length as Ophaesians. I tend to picture their hair like most of the men’s in LOTR.
  • How Corscians wear their hair depends on region. If they’re closer to Verey, they adopt Vereyan styles. If they’re closer to Ophaesia or Merlios, they’ll wear their hair close to shoulder-length. Corscians in the south wear their hair longer.
  • Edoilese men wears their hair past their shoulders. It’s often pulled back and tied with a ribbon. I can’t find a good reference image for what a picturing. It’s like a toned-down Georgian queue.
  • Dharsani wear their hair extremely long and in a variety of styles, like dreads and microbraids or regular braids and ponytails or buns, depending on hair texture. Hair rings are common.

In Ophaesia, Verey, and parts of Corsciana, unbound hair is perfectly acceptable for women of all classes. Most women of higher class will wear their half-up with some decorative hair ornament instead of completely unbound. In Edoinel and Merlios, women must wear their hair bound.

The setting is inspired by the Renaissance, but I picture Ophaesian and Edoilese women’s fashion to be a combination of Tudor, Italian Renaissance, and Elizabethan fashion. Close-backed; long sleeves, full or slashed at top but tighter as it goes down the arm; tight bodices with or without stomachers; lower waistlines; stays that shape but don’t constrain too much movement; fuller skirts, open or closed; deep, rich colors; intricate patterns or beading; mesh cauls/snoods keeping hair bound. I picture shoes to be a bit more Baroque: heeled and extremely decorative. I hope that gives you some idea? :sweat_smile: I’ve been meaning to draw how picture Ophaesian dresses to look…

Men’s fashion is largely Renaissance/Tudor with intricate doublets and whatnot, but they wear form-fitting breeches in place of hose and tight, knee-high boots. Most men’s boots have heels.

(Speaking of Showtime’s Borgias, I picture Baelira to look like Holliday Grainger as Lucrezia, though with slightly warmer and darker hair.)

Hmm… let’s see… I’ll try to do as many as I can.

• Ysonia would probably do a raven theme.
  • Eraven would just wear a domino mask, albeit a fancy one.
  • Olarion would pick an owl.
  • Sebriel would go for a fox theme.
  • Nethica would choose a wolf.
  • Atheron would be a stag.
  • Jasiphae would choose to be a swan.
  • Kaedra would go for a cat theme.
  • Mavrys would be a lion.
  • Senetha would call masquerades stupid but would wear a plain gold domino mask if he had to.
  • Pythia would wear a dark lace scarf across her eyes.
  • Baelira and Terrisen would fight over who would go as the sun. Terrisen would win. Baelira would go for something abstract but ornate.
  • Iseriah would be a bird of prey.

Quite a significant one. Not enough to warrant any serious retaliation but close.

It’s my eyes, but I had a spinal tap, so that’s probably what you’re thinking of haha. It’s not gone, but it did seem to plateau somewhat – it didn’t get worse for a while. I’d say it’s getting worse again, but I haven’t had a migraine since I had a cyst removed, so I’m still doing much better than before.

The world is based somewhat on the Renaissance. As for the guards, their swords are mostly ornamental but are fully functional.

They’re not quite so strict as those imposed on the nobility. The poorer you are, the less gender roles matter. Women will work alongside men to make ends meet, especially in rural areas. The general expectation is that women care for matters in the home while men make a living through a trade. It’s not always the case, of course.

It’s largely the same in Edoinel and Corsciana. Gender roles are stricter in Merlios, despite their history of having Queen Regnants. Gender roles virtually don’t exist in Verey or the Dharsani Empire. Women have the same amount of rights as men and aren’t discouraged from pursuing traditionally “masculine” roles. Dharsani women often fight as soldiers, though this is more uncommon in Verey. Women are allowed and welcome in the military in Verey, but most choose to not fight and instead manage homes, businesses, and/or trades while the men fight. Sort of like women in WW2.

Your princesses will be expected to know how to make good conversation, plan events like banquets or balls, and play an instrument.

Oh, my god, I think I answered everything?? I swear I’ve been working on this reply for hours! :joy:

34 Likes

Let me just say how much I appreciate your commitment to answering our questions, and in such detail! I want to give you a break at this point, but I’m sure something new will pop into my head soon…

Actually, here it is:

How was this precedent established? You mentioned that the heads of the Ophaesian religion come from the ranks of the Paladins, is this to prevent the possibility of a King-Patriarch?

5 Likes

If the Princess becomes Queen Regent - with iron a fist can she rule? :o

I find that if my characters aren’t tempered by romance they cling to knowledge, power, and money in that order.

Which probably speaks volumes of me as a person and none of them good xD

7 Likes

Awww…fortunately it seems my mc’s best brother (Olarion) and his hopefully best friend (Nethica) can maybe grow to like Sebby, even if his other friends and family will not.

Hmmm…sounds like my mc may need to drag his bookish big bro out to meet cute guys and play matchmaker sometime. Also this really does make him our best brother
Now I also feel bad for Olarion if he does need to become King, since that’ probably not going to do wonders for his love life. :cold_sweat:

Also poor Olarion (and my mc) seems daddy doesn’t really like both of his gay sons, the old bigot. :unamused:

I assume Sebby falls under this header then, assuming gay marriage was to be legal?

How do you see that working out? I mean the mc is not going to have much power in the army if they’re disguised as part of the peasant levies or common soldiers.

5 Likes

I too would like to know this. Seems like an interesting lore tidbit.

Didn’t Fawkes say that you could either go yourself or get Terrisen to take you with him? The Terrisen part is easy, since he is a few years older and likely going legally, so he could just take you as part of his retinue and forget to mention it to anyone.

As for going yourself, I’d imagine it might have something to do with how much time you spend on learning martial skills and acquiring gear prior to this. You might be able to get some logistics officer to overlook your staying onboard the warbound vessel whilst in possession of enough weapons and armour to gird out two knights and their squires, with the right incentive of course and the promise that you’re unlikely to get yourself killed, even though dear old dad might just ennoble him for it if you did die. This is all conjecture, but it could work.

If I may? Swords were the sidearm of choice for most professional soldiery right up until the the early 18th century, whence they were replaced by bayonets and became a symbol of office for commissioned and non-commissioned officers. Steel amour was also spectacularly common until well after flintlock firearms became popular. In fact, most of the Renaissance wars were fought in the style and logical extension of their late-Medieval counterparts until firearms became cheap and effective enough to mass produce, at which point it stopped being worth training a knight/man-at-arms for years and outfitting them with expensive weapons and armour instead of turning out firearms and training a few score civilians to competence in less than six months for the same price.

@Fawkes This war, did Eraven actually do anything to avoid it or is he the warmongering hawk I assume him to be. I mean, by all accounts the last war isn’t more than a generation ago, why another so soon? Who spat in whose cornflakes, so to speak?

10 Likes