The Seven Heirs of Ophaesia: Part One (WIP)

They are typically armed with cannons.

Your MC won’t meet them all at the same time. They all appear at different parts of the story, but you will meet them all throughout the game regardless of what branches you might go down. And yes, you can romance more than one of them at once until a checkpoint.

I’d say she’s slightly shorter than the average Ophaesian woman, so there is quite the height difference between her and Eraven (and her step-sons).

Neraven can be ruthless, but he’s not spiteful like his father can be. While he shares some of his father’s faults, he’s generally a less disagreeable person.

@WulfyK I love it when you ask me questions, because sometimes what you ask hasn’t occurred to me, so it’s good chance to further my world-building! :slight_smile:

1. I definitely plan to have a “very short” option.

2.A) I don’t think there will be a risk for your MC to lose limbs because I feel like that a lot of players wouldn’t like that, but there will be risks to get scarred. I intend to make such risks obvious and avoidable if the player chooses though. Not everyone digs scars.
2.B) I think I will include possible STIs for our more, ah, indulgent MCs, but they won’t be a big deal. And I think it would be interesting to include the possibility for an MC to be an alcoholic. I’d love to hear other people’s thoughts on this!
2.C) I’d say it’s fairly advanced due to the Priests of Myteus dedicating a lot of time and energy into learning new techniques and theories, especially from the Dharsani people which are probably the most advanced in the games world.

3.A) I hadn’t considered that, but it’s an interesting idea. If I find a way to work that into the game, I’ll try to include it.
3.B) Oh, that’s a tough question to answer. Ophaesia is a mix of so many cultures – there are obvious Corscian influences, but they’ve also been inspired by Edoilese, Merlian, and even Dharsani aesthetics. I’m not sure there’s a real life equivalent.
3.C) The clothing in Showtime’s The Borgias is close, I suppose, but it’s not exactly how I imagine the clothing to look. I can draw now, so when I get a chance I’ll try to see if I can illustrate what I’m picturing.

4.A) Not really. Corsciana, while once important, is rather insignificant at this point in time. Merlios and Verey will be far more important to the story.

1. I’m definitely considering Jol to be the name for the currency then.

While your MC might not look identical to your siblings, I assure you she fits right in in Ophaesia. :slight_smile: Part of the population of Ophaesia may be light-skinned and light-haired due to the proximity to Edoinel (and therein Lodinia), but the parts of the Ophaesian people descended from Corscians tend to have brown skin. Moreso, a lot of Ophaesians have Dharsani heritage, and Dharsani people have brown or black skin.

This does bring up something that I somehow hadn’t really thought about. When you choose your appearance, you choose the appearance for the entirety of House Maeliah, but your siblings and father have a set appearance. I’m an artist and therefore a very visual person, so I like to know what characters look like, so in my writing I often put effort into describing a character’s appearance. Would you guys prefer it if I described your father’s family very little, or perhaps make them closer to the appearance you choose for your MC?

While not many characters have been introduced yet, it is my goal to incorporate diversity, and admittedly your half-siblings aren’t that, ah, diverse. There are A LOT of characters yet to be introduced however, and they are far more diverse in their cultures and their appearances.

I would just really appreciate you guys’ input on this. I want my game to be inclusive, because I know how important that is to a lot of people. I don’t want to forego descriptions of characters entirely; as an author I like describing a character’s appearance, and I personally believe that not describing what any character looks like is a lack of representation and diversity in itself.

22 Likes

I usually don’t like when the MC’s family has a set appearance because the default look is always White but I don’t mind for this particular game. The MC is supposed to be an outcast. She does not have the same mother as them and noticeably does not fit in with the family. I appreciate that you have taken the time to make the world so diverse.

7 Likes

Describe the way they are, there seems to be enough diversity in your game, even if it not seems to be at first

1 Like

@Fawkes
Have crossbows been invented yet?
Because historically they were extremely deadly when they were introduced to the battlefield.

1 Like

I have a question regarding how much freedom the Mc will have when it comes to behaviour. Since the Mc is an unwanted child will those who want to defy their parents get chances to do so? I’m not necessarily talking big things but more the smaller things for example that the female Mc starts dressing like a man or travel/riding attire to defy the standards their parents set for them. And will male Mcs get the chance to choose more feminine “hobbies”? (Not sure of playing an instrument like the harp would count as more feminine) I think small things like that could give the Mc a as site aggressive way of defying their parents early on.

3 Likes

Yes please ! :smile::beers::grin:

Ophaesian Room Makeover Sim 2016? :wink:

I KNEW THAT IF I MAKE ENOUGH WIERD LETTER COMBINATIONS , ONE OF THEM WOULD BE BEARABLE :heart_eyes:

As much description as possible , please !

Now 4 realzies , your maternal line being “customizeable” is really good, but your paternal one too ? That’s a bit too much !

Alongside the extra code that it would bring to the game , it really isn’t a problem , and our siblings already have a portrait in your (and now also in our) mind , and that’s cool ! A lot of families are not so uniform anyway , so I think our paternal and maternal line should stay right as they are right now . (I hope that made sense :sweat_smile: )

TL;DR : Maternal line being influenced my the PC is awesome , but the paternal should stay as it’s thing (the same for everyone) .

Don’t worry , more rants are due ! :grin:

Also : [quote=“Fawkes, post:64, topic:15629”]
I hope you guys enjoy the next chapter just as much. Hopefully I’ll have it finished by April 1st (which, incidentally, is my 21st birthday – yay!), and I’ll post it immediately so everyone can play it. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

GET HYPED :wink:

12 Likes

Thank you! :blush:

I’d prefer it if you described Eraven’s side of the family in detail, since that just highlights one of the main themes of the game, which is casting aside the MC from the rest of the royal family like @Ninja said. Making them look more like the MC might deconstruct said theme, I think. Also, a detailed description of the characters’ appearance personally helps me immerse myself in the story a lot better. It always irks me a little whenever I can’t picture a character in a story as anything more than a vague silhouette. Visualisation matters a lot to me, too. :grin:
@SirLordChris has also made a good point on the matter. :smile:

This will come off as extremely cliché, but since Antonia’s mere existence is despised by a lot of people in her life, excluding some others who might see her as a usable tool, she just wants someone who’ll love her for who she is. Not that he’d gain a lot else by courting her, what with her unfortunate position in the royal family…

And that’s another thing; even if she loved this man and he reciprocated her feelings, she’d still have reservations about advancing their relationship. He’d get nothing out of the deal, other than having to share her grief, and she does not want anyone to go through the hardships she’s had to endure, least of all the person she cares about the most. She’d always have this lingering thought that this kind, kind man would be better off courting a lady with fine, respectable upbringing, instead of some unwanted reject like herself. Mind you, she doesn’t think so badly of herself (her mother would help a lot in this matter – despite her circumstances, Antonia would grow up to be remarkably self-assured), but she’ll have been well aware that it’s just how society sees her, and how society would see him should he persist on pursuing her. So her man would have to go to pretty great lengths to convince her that he knows full well what might become of him if he agreed to enter (or advance) a relationship with her, and that he fully accepts the consequences.

Antonia does have some standards set for the perfect man, however. :kissing_closed_eyes:
She’d want his intelligence to level her own, at the very least. Anything less would just make for extremely dull interactions at best, and tediously exasperating at worst.
Regarding politics, she wouldn’t mind if he weren’t interested in getting too involved with them, but he should at least have a basic understanding of state matters. It’s not something to do with gaining power, but more about handling one’s responsibility and just being generally well-informed. In fact, she’d probably despise him if he sought power for nothing more than his own personal gain (she realises that power can indeed be used for the good).
Antonia wouldn’t want someone meek and jittery (since this type definitely wouldn’t pass her “Convince Me that You Truly Love Me and Will Accept Any Grievances I Might Come with” test), even though she probably wouldn’t hesitate to simply befriend such a person if they were genuinely nice to her.
In a previous paragraph, I referred to Antonia’s dream guy as “this kind, kind man,” but this does not mean that he has to be all smiles and sunshine. Antonia knows very well that people are not always what they seem to be, so she wouldn’t mind varying degrees of demeanours; from cool, gruff (but not like her father – that’s just a big NO NO), outgoing, and even to hot-headed, as long as she saw that deep down, he had a truly good heart (as in wouldn’t hurt people for no good reason, and… er… that’s all I’ve got). Simply loving her sincerely and unconditionally is actually already a pretty good demonstration of goodheartedness, considering all he’d have to sacrifice in order to be with her.

TL;DR
Antonia’s dream love interest is a man who is strong-willed, clever, responsible, knowledgeable (both book-smart and street-smart), self-assured, and essentially good-hearted.

7 Likes

In this story, my MC would chose Eros; I imagine you can draw your own conclusions as to why.

1 Like

Alright, time to introduce the next 3 MC’s! And I love @RedRoses’ idea about our MC’s dream love interests! I’m going to start including that on the bottom. And for the MC’s that I already wrote about (Anastasia, Tyra, and Isa), I’ll just include their Dream Love Interests up here.

@Fawkes Will any of my MC’s (that have been described so far) have any luck in finding what they’re looking for?

(Truth serum administered)

Anastasia: “I’m looking for my knight in shining armor, just like the princesses in the fairy tales have. He doesn’t have to be a prince, but it would be nice if he was. He DOES have to rescue me from danger whenever I need rescuing. And compose love poems and sonnets in my name, and kiss me under the sunset, and serenade me…and just romance me! And when I meet him, he has to sweep me off my feet and make me feel butterflies in my stomach!”

Tyra: “Man or woman, I want a partner who will fight by my side. I DON’T need to be rescued from danger by anyone…I want someone who will face the danger with me! I’d love a partner I could go on adventures with!”

Isa: “To lust after…a human with genitalia. Those who are attractive and great in bed preferred. To LOVE…well, that’s more difficult. I’d like someone intelligent who can challenge me both inside and outside the bedroom. Because although I’d never admit it without this truth serum, a lot of my shallow act is just an act. And honestly, people who really are as stupid as I pretend to be get to be rather tiring after a while.”

(1) Kali (Ditzy Guen/Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes):

Father: Kali was glad she never had to see her Father. He sounded terrifying and not fun at all. When she saw him in the gardens, she barely managed a curtsy. Not that it mattered…he called her a mistake anyway. Kali tried to simply forget about it and enjoy her playtime…but it was awfully hard. Too hard to do at all…she gave in within minutes and started sobbing on Sister Elesyth’s dress.

Mother: Ysonia was much more fun! Even if Kali barely saw her, her visits were always memorable. When she promised that the King would be kinder to her…well, Kali wasn’t sure whether ANYBODY could make that old grouch be nice, but she thanked her Mother for trying.

Religion Lesson: Kali was happy to have her lesson privately. She loved being around people…as long as they liked being around her, and these people clearly didn’t. Kali wasn’t particularly interested in the Triad, but managed to listen with a bland smile on her face. That smile was the reason Sister Elesyth thought Kali was actually interested in what she had to say about Naphenia.

Temple Gender Restrictions: Kali accepted the gender restrictions, convinced that smarter people than her had created them.

7th Birthday: Kali was so excited for her birthday she could hardly contain it! She couldn’t decide which was the best part; the attention or the gifts? Well, not that she got much attention this year, except from her Mother…but the gifts more than made up for it! Aside from those moldy old books Kali would be sure to throw in the fireplace at her first opportunity, everything was wonderful! Her favorite was the looking glass. It was so beautiful…and she was so beautiful! And shouldn’t two beautiful things go together?

Dream Love Interest (Truth Serum Administered): “I just want someone attractive…really attractive, that’s a requirement. And someone who likes to have fun…no wet blankets, please! I love gifts, particularly expensive ones, so financial generosity is a must. Other than that, I’m flexible!”

(2) Deva (Antisocial Guen/Black Hair, Blue Eyes):

Father: Deva tried very much to ignore her father, as he seemed so determined to ignore her. If he hated her, she did not care. She DIDN’T. When she saw him in the garden, Deva was so frightened that the words flew out of her…which only made him angrier and more frightening. Then he called her a mistake, which had to be THE most hurtful thing anyone had ever said to her. For the rest of the day, Deva barely spoke, too shocked and hurt to know what to say.

Mother: Deva resented her Mother greatly, and how could she not? Abandoning her, AND being the sole reason that everyone in the palace she left her in hated her?! Deva treated her Mother just like the unpleasant stranger she had made herself, with cool courtesy.

Religion Lesson: Deva was hugely relieved at being able to have the lesson privately, away from judging eyes. Deva quickly cheered up once she was away, however…she loved nothing more than listening to stories about Myteus. When Sister Elesyth told her about his personality, Deva wished you could meet a god…because they sounded a lot alike. She was increasingly envious of Myteus’ sanctuary where he could be alone and think…Deva would make it her mission to find such a place for herself.

Temple Gender Restrictions: Deva wasn’t the type to throw a tantrum…but when she heard she would be barred from Myteus’ temple just because she was a girl, she couldn’t help but scowl. Why was it that only boys should be knowledgeable? It’s not like they were any smarter. Deva had met plenty of stupid boys at the palace. It just didn’t make sense.

7th Birthday: Deva was nervous about moving out of the nursery. The nursery might not have been the fanciest room in the palace, but at least there she didn’t have to deal with the whole court’s prying, judging eyes. The only good think about her birthday was the book collection she received. Finally, an interesting way to pass the time, a way to use the intellect that girls weren’t meant to have. Deva was so grateful she almost forgot her anger and resentment of Ysonia…almost.

Dream Love Interest (Truth Serum Administered): “I need my partner to be my intellectual equal, and hopefully share much of my thirst for knowledge and curiosity about the world. Even if they’re interested in slightly different areas of knowledge than I am, I’d love to be able to end the day by talking about our discoveries. Given my reserved nature and trust issues, however, they definitely need to be calm with no anger issues, loyal and trustworthy, and preferably have the ability to draw me out of my shell.”

(3) Minerva (Ruthless Guen/Red Hair, Black Eyes):

Father: Her Father had decided long ago that he cared nothing for her. Very well. Minerva was more than happy to return the favor. Still, Minerva wished to change his feelings, though nothing would change her own. After all, Minerva desired the power to change the very world…the power a King certainly held. So she gave him a perfectly executed curtsy, respectfully addressing him as “Your Majesty”…only for him to get angry at it and call her a mistake. Minerva was incredibly frustrated, and, deep down, though the seas would empty before she would admit it…the tiniest bit hurt. Because he was only echoing the thoughts of everyone she knew, even if most wouldn’t be rude enough to say it to the face of a 6 year old. Minerva spent the rest of the day whispering to herself “I am not a mistake”…finally ending with these words; “I am not a mistake. And I’m going to prove it.”

Mother: Minerva distrusted her Mother ever since she left her here alone. And when she promised to make the King be kinder to her, she wasn’t sure she could believe her…but nevertheless, she couldn’t help but appreciate a gesture that nobody else in her life would have even bothered to make. They spent several pleasant afternoons together after that, which were some of the happiest afternoons in Minerva’s short life…before Ysonia left without a word after only a few weeks. Minerva spent the weeks after alternately berating herself for her stupidity in trusting her and trying not to cry. When Ysonia returned for her 7th birthday, Minerva greeted her formally and respectfully, but with none of her previous warmth. But when she found out that Ysonia gave her the book collection, and that SHE enjoyed reading and learning too…despite herself, Minerva couldn’t help but like her. Like her, admire her, appreciate her…but never trust her. Minerva had already been fooled twice in that regard, and twice had her heart shattered…twice was more than enough. Minerva vowed that Ysonia would never again get the chance.

Religion Lesson: Minerva had her lesson in the gardens. She wouldn’t give them the satisfaction of making her leave. Minerva most enjoyed listening to stories of Tepharon and his power, and dreamed of one day acquiring such power for herself. The power to change the very world… She very much desired to visit Tepharon’s temple someday and learn more about him, since Sister Elesyth hardly knew ANYTHING.

Temple Gender Restrictions: Minerva was inwardly furious that she would be denied admittance based on her gender, but would not give Sister Elesyth the satisfaction of getting to lecture and punish her for pitching a fit. (Which, unlike with her siblings, she actually seemed to enjoy doing to Minerva.)

7th Birthday: Minerva was thrilled about finally moving out of the nursery. She wasn’t a baby anymore. Today was the day her life would truly begin! And presents were always welcomed by her…especially the book collection, which she would read cover to cover. Minerva had always loved to read and learn, and these were the first non-baby books she had ever been given.

Dream Love Interest (Truth Serum Administered): “Well, there’s definitely a chance of me just killing anyone who makes me weak enough to be led around by my emotions like that. But if by chance I don’t…I’d want someone brilliant and ruthless, with a whole lot of ambition and drive. Someone who I could rise to greatness with. And I DO have a taste for the finer things in life…so after we finish our latest schemes, I’d like someone I could have a glass of century-old vintage wine with. The ability to discuss music, art, and literature intelligently is also a must.”

10 Likes

My Female Warrior MC wants a man who capable with a blade, has some wit, and is sincere of heart. My Male Artist MC wants someone he can have a few laughs with and who will be there for him. My Intelligent Male MC is only interested in academic pursuits, but when he falls in love it will hit him like a freight train. I guess his love would be someone who shows him that there is more to life than academics or someone who can challenge him on an intellectual level.

7 Likes

I always liked shy RO’s in these games, I assume with the depth that you’ve so far provided this’ll be an option. Keep up the good work, love seeing more talent out there.

4 Likes

I imagine my MC Eden as a little smartass. Like a real smartass, really annoying and unforgiven if others (or at least parts of her parental family) make mistakes. She’s annoyed that everyone wants her just to look nice and to shut up so she explicitly does not shut up :expressionless:.
Considering this I would expect that most people in her environment would not call her very alluring and I can’t imagine her to be interested either.

She doesn’t expect or really strive for love, but to be a (begrudgingly) recognized scholar. So, should she have to marry (because let’s be real, her father and oldest brother probably want to get rid of her annoying prattling), she would prefer someone, who lets her do what she wants, in case she cannot get someone who would encourage her.

What would make her fall in love, is someone who has a passion for something, because that is something she respects and catchs her interest and should they share the same passion…well she would probably fall head over heels for them (them respecting and recognizing her pursuit in academics is the prerequisite of course). What is something she actually hasn’t planned for her life… so, it would be a pretty hard fall, becoming a sputtering mess and all. :flushed:

In short: Eden hopes for a work partner. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I really like the idea of having an alcoholism option for the MC; I think it adds an interesting nuance. As for the descriptions, I lean towards more, but not having the MC’s appearance influence the paternal line; I feel like the resemblance to the maternal line is something highlighted a lot so far, and to make the paternal line look more similar would decrease the effect of that, as well as allow the player a bit too much agency (if that makes sense).

5 Likes

@Fawkes I think it would be best to keep the look of the MC’s father and siblings, having a choice on the MC’s own look and their mother and her family seem to be enough. You’ve done a nice work imagining and the siblings, it would be good to read their decriptions into the game.

4 Likes

[quote=“Fawkes, post:786, topic:15629, full:true”]
2.B) I think I will include possible STIs for our more, ah, indulgent MCs, but they won’t be a big deal. And I think it would be interesting to include the possibility for an MC to be an alcoholic. I’d love to hear other people’s thoughts on this![/quote]

Interesting ideas; I suppose STDs would be okay, though only as long as they weren’t overly serious/impeding in gameplay terms, perhaps earning the player “A bad rash and long lecture from the local priest” and some loss of prestige/respect/whatever… As for alcohol - totally fine by me, though I’d like it being a clear cause & effect thing - that’s to say, if when at, say, parties, the MC if often presented with choices such as ‘have no drink at all’ ‘Have a drink or two’ ‘have some drinks’ and/or when he/she is feeling down makes the choice of seeking comfort in the bottle… That is to say, if he/she frequiently makes the choice for alcohol and/or lots of alcohol, then, well, the result is that the MC becoems and alcoholic. Mind you; the PC should be able to get away with heavily indulding himmelf in alcohol once or twice, and having just a drink or two when at a party or feast shouldn’t be enough to turn anyone into an alcoholist (unless you let it escalate after that of course). You might also want to leave in a way or two for the MC to recover/get out of said alcoholism too.

scratches head Interesting question… I’d be fine with either. For you, yourself… .You’d probably save the most time if you went with the first option - you’d still be able to describe things such as eyecolor, height, hair etc fairly freely - just not the skin color. but if you want it as detailed as possible, you should go for the later…

1 Like

Steer clear of those with the Lover’s pox!

3 Likes

Indulgent?! Why, I never!
My MC are simply seriously following Naphenia’s teachings about spreading LOVE to everyone, do not mistake his action as merely indulging his carnal pleasures! /s :kissing_heart:

Though I do wonder how many people must the MC bed in order to contract STI’s.

Plot twist: Naphenia’s shrine is secretly a brothel disguised as religious institute. Such perversion.

12 Likes

I think the current system is fine, as the MC being visually much different from the siblings and the King reinforces the “outcast” status of the MC.

3 Likes

I second that. I find it very fitting symbolically.

1 Like