The Seven Heirs of Ophaesia: Part One (WIP)

Sure you can - it might be under an alias or even against the wishes of both of your families but fame no doubt awaits (or infamy for some of us no doubt).

The “Black Prince” gained fame in such a manner as did several other monarchs.

Edit - I don’t know Fawkes’ plans for the future - this is purely my speculation.

7 Likes

Naval combat will be either with a predisposition towards ramming or the use of ballistae and scorpions to clear decks. But, most action will probably be boarding actions or decided with the ram. Without guns you can’t pound away at each other so you’ll need to board. Ballistae and Scorpions will either be used to set rigging on fire and also as I mentioned earlier clear decks for boarding actions. Fun fact, most sailors don’t know how to swim. So, don’t fall into the water.

4 Likes

Never quite understood why many sailors in that era didn’t know how to swim

4 Likes

Yeah, for a marcial based build. Not for a charisma subtle one. Mara is not a warrior at all. She can definitely defend in close proximity with daggers but that’s it. She only could do great in themes of tactics and charisma morale. Both are impossible in a sneak off.

2 Likes

We’ll just agree to disagree … a subtle charismatic leader in battle could gain a lot of (in)fame. That is one of my favorite types of characters to play in rpg games.

This is all just conjecture at this point anyways - no use adding a hundred or so posts on the matter until the actual scenes are revealed.

4 Likes

Yeah, this is not guns. Also if i sneak off i suppose go as a simple soldier so difficult will be use charisma there. :wink: sneak off is the key. You haveno command or anything in fact you shouldn’t be there at all.

2 Likes

The brother that is immediately older than the MC can help if there’s a good enough relationship.

2 Likes

Hmm :thinking: It depends if I had already started the operation throne… I am definitely dying to read it.

1 Like

At least one of my princes and one of my princesses will make a bid for the throne.

@Fawkes will the MCs father die during the game?

3 Likes

I tried the demo. It was really good. Cheers!

3 Likes

It is good is it not?

1 Like

I’m about to go through and respond to you guys, but before I do…

The first post has had a major update!

Now with 3.6k words, the first post has been updated with a lot of new information on characters, stats, features, and progress. I spent a good bit of time (a few hours) writing it and formatting it to make it easy to navigate and learn more about the game.

There is a section at the bottom for an FAQ, and I’ll add some questions to that soon. If you have any questions you’d like answered there, let me know! Be sure to specifically say it’s for the FAQ.

I hope you guys like it! I’ve been meaning do something like this for a while. :blush:

51 Likes

So exciting to try this out!

1 Like

@Fawkes, I’m very late to the party, but I’m so glad you’re feeling better!

The updated first post is amazing, I love all the extra information about characters and stats. Those RO taglines: I mentally shrieked when I saw “the spymaster’s daughter” and “the haunted admiral.” I saw you’d mentioned Kushiel’s Dart earlier; is Senetha by any chance inspired by Joscelin Verreuil? :slight_smile:

Also also, thank you for helping me finally name my main princess. I’ve been using placeholder names for her since I first played, but as soon as you mentioned Melisande - well!

Seriously, thank you so much for everything you’ve poured into Ophaesia. It’s so lovely to see you back and well.

8 Likes

Honestly, I was sad to see the only love interest that we could trust 100% not to be plotting get scrapped. BUT BOY HAS VESPERION MADE UP FOR IT.
I’m such a sucker for characters that we have to win over or have a rivalry with. Though I’m interested to know just how far he goes with the whole ‘all or nothing’, ride or die approach. @Fawkes, you mentioned that even if you opt to be friends with him he might end up falling in love anyway. Is he bitter about not being loved back that way? If he’s a-okay or at least gets to grips with it eventually then he gets all 5 stars when it comes to RO candidates.

Also, if you are still planning on adding an additional scene to the nursery days then could it be something that bonds us to Terrisen and Baelira? It will make it all the more heartbreaking when they’re neutral to us after we leave the nursery. Kind of like the WIP Absynthian Ballad has the cookie stealing scene to establish that the older sister is hella nice so that we feel sad when she leaves. Maybe Terrisen takes the blame for something we did by accident/after feeling really neglected and Baelira puts her charms to use to get us all out of trouble? Idk I just really like the idea of sibling bonding. I may be coming late to the party with this though so please ignore me. :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Love the new setup for the first post! Also love the descriptions of the ROs.

@Fawkes Will we see that Priestess of Naphenia who took care of the MC for the first 7 years of their lives after the MC leaves the nursery?

Also will Atheron have PTSD?

2 Likes

I’m so glad he seems to be appealing to a lot of people! I was worried that people wouldn’t be interested in him, so I’m relieved to see that’s not the case.

With the updated first post, there’s more information about Iphorah/Pythia available now!

They’re fairly obvious.

• Mirror: +1 Vain, +1 Fashionable
  • Books: +1 Clever, +1 Wellread, +1 Theology
  • Harp: +1 Creative, +1 Music, +1 Harp

I intend to add two more gift choices, probably one which increases Expedient, Wellread, and Politics and another that increases Confident, Athletic, and Combat. The latter will likely be a dagger or a child’s bow, but I’m still figuring out what the former could be.

Edoilese wears the most cosmetics – there are some Baroque elements to their fashion (their love of pastels and frills, for instance), and that includes excessive use of cosmetics. A lot of blush, a lot of lip paint, a lot of colored powder around their eyes (done more like facepaint rather than proper eye makeup like today). Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

Ophaesia wears the second most amount of makeup. Kohl to darken the lashes and lash-line, carmine to color the lips, a bit of rouge to flush the cheeks, but none of it done to excess. There is a growing trend among the aristocracy — both men and women — of adopting the colored powders of Edoinel for extravagant occasions — balls and the like. Ophaesians tend to keep it to their cheekbones and temples, and it’s a lot more subtle.

Merlios and Verey will use some cosmetics, but to a lesser degree.

Vague “tall, tall, tall, and very tall” descriptions is how I had their heights to begin with. I didn’t want to put an exact number on their heights, and it seems my instinct was right, lol.

There are cannons, just no guns. Gunpowder exists, but it’s used for cannons, fireworks, etc.

Male and female MCs can sneak off to war. Sneaking off is the only way to fight in the war. You go in disguise, possibly with the help of Terrisen or Senetha or just on your own (which is harder). You will inevitably be discovered, but when that is depends on a lot of different variables.

You’ll be given the opportunity to fight, if you so choose. You may be allowed to join the war council after you’re discovered, you may be captured by the enemy (which leads to a whole other huge branch), or you may be seriously wounded or even killed. A lot of things can happen if you sneak off to war — it’s one of the biggest branches I have planned for the game.

Of course, you can always choose to stay in Ophaesia rather than going off to fight, which is another branch.

Given that you are eventually discovered, it is a good chance to gain fame or infamy depending on your choices.

Yes.

Thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed it!

He is! I think the similarities between the two are quite glaring, but I loved Joscelin so much, I couldn’t resist including a character inspired by him.

That’s so sweet!! Thank you! :hugs:

Ahh, I’m glad! I’m so happy that he seems to be well-received by so many people. :heart:

He is a little bitter, but not at you — he’s mad at himself for feeling that way about someone who doesn’t feel the same. He’s hurt, of course, and he may say something unkind in the moment, but ultimately he comes to terms with it, apologizes (in his own way) for what he said and putting you in an uncomfortable position, and remains friends with you.

Oh… Oh, this is a very good idea. I’m adding it to my Seven Heirs Trello board as a possible scene.

You will! She leaves soon after you’re out of the nursery — a little abruptly, in fact — and I plan on you getting the chance to confront her about it.

He will have PTSD from the war, particularly his actions during the war. I plan to handle it with the utmost sensitivity, for those concerned. A lot of research will be done regarding PTSD to make sure I portray it both accurately and tactfully.

16 Likes

There’s potential for a civil war, isn’t there @Fawkes?

3 Likes

Yes, there could potentially be a civil war.

3 Likes

Hey! I just finished the demo, and I adored it! Your writing is so smooth and polished, and I find all your characters so interesting-if, perhaps, not all are sympathetic (insulting your five year old the first time you meet them? nice move buddy, real mature)
Anyway, my question. Can I ask if your characters have “types?” Like, in the Wayhaven Chronicles you can romance any character regardless of your personality type (sweet or sassy or mean or whatever), in the next fallen hero book the author says that not all personalities will work with the ROs. Like, this Vesperion dude, if my loving, musically inclined, gentle character romanced him would she have more/less success then a snarky, sassy, wickedly intelligent princess, or does it not matter?
Edit: oh, and I suppose also in non romantic terms as well! Will Olarion, for example, who is already my favorite because he actually WANTs to like us, be more fond of an academic or, as long as we’re nice to him, like us?

4 Likes