The Sea Maiden (WIP) Last update 14th of Feb

Amen to that,no question asked.

Randomly. Idk if itā€™s just me, but while playing the game, this song came into mind :)) --> personally headcanon-ing this as possibly the storyā€™s theme like if it were in a game, and they had to score the song for variations depending on what the mood is.

On the topic though of love interests, I wonder how exactly the prince(ss) will factor in :)) ā€“ itā€™s not a complete fairytale without one HAHA. Itā€™s a little early but Iā€™m hoping for some mistaken identity thing might come up.

Though Iā€™m willing to bet that if there should be a merperson love interest, they may or may not be royalty too :))

//slinks away back to Pokemon Go

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for the support (and ideas :relaxed: )

Iā€™ll try to have an update up within a few days, I made some changes but nested too many choices and have broken the game with incorrect spacing in a few places :confused: Once I have them sorted and a finished the section Iā€™m working on Iā€™ll put it up.

12 Likes

Ok finally an update!
Iā€™ve added a few extra options including a customisable appearance one. I hope itā€™s not too clunky, if anyone doesnā€™t like it and can think of a better way of doing it let me know (I wanted it told like a story rather than a more sterile pick your hair colour then pick your skin colour etc.)

The option to go to the beach instead of running when your dad tells you to isnā€™t selectable at the moment since itā€™s unfinished but I wanted to get something up today. Iā€™ll add it when I can :slight_smile:

I really messed up the coding in one section, pretty sure itā€™s all fixed now but if you get any single choices or options that seem really out of place, please let me know and Iā€™ll fix it.

Pretty sure the save system should be up and running now for everyone now, although weirdly now the achievements donā€™t seem to be popping up. Not sure why that is. (Theyā€™re registering on the achievement screen).

Only one ending so far. I know it doesnā€™t answer anything, thats because itā€™s in the first half of the book and I didnā€™t want major spoilers. More answers coming later.

Itā€™s at almost 30,000 words already (surprised me!) I might tidy up some grammar here and there but hopefully wont break the save system too much on you unless I find anything major before the next update.

Anyway, hope everyone enjoys it but if not (or if you have any other feedback) please let me know why. (I wonā€™t be offended, really :slight_smile: )

18 Likes

Spoiler alert.

Is anyone betting the dogā€™s human (Devin) is going to be someone MC can possibly rescue in the future? It seems heā€™s unlikely to be a prince right now since the dog mentions heā€™s from a town rather than a kingdom, but possible RO? Or someone MC can meet but unable to save just to drive home how staying with the mermaid might be bad news? Like sure immortal and all but at what price?

While waiting though for the next update ā€“ I know the game just updated but very excited for it nonetheless ā€“ RO guessing game anyone? I feel like weā€™re going to meet an RO who might be enchanted or cursed because whatā€™s a fairytale without one :))

8 Likes

I hope there is a cursed RO, that is going to be a fun mystery to solve if itā€™s anything compared to Sophies curse in howls moving castle except the part where she turns old, only the part that means she canā€™t talk about it.

Just read the story and I think it is really good, and I think that there might be a beast/Deity RO looking at the way the tide is turning :smile:. (I mean how the writings going)

3 Likes

Well do what a mermaid RO

4 Likes

Jeez this game is amazing!

1 Like

Will I ever be able to have a story under the sea? Or if the mermaids gets me is the game over? Iā€™d really like it if there was an undersea life.

3 Likes

If you want to play a choice game under the Sea you should play the sea eternal

I didnā€™t really like that one :confused:

1 Like

Thanks guys :smile:
@Hope_Kibo Not all the paths later in the story will be mermaid gets you: Story ends.
(I have a core storyline plan in mind but there are some other threads Iā€™ll see if I can work in if possible. Canā€™t promise that thereā€™ll definitely be an undersea life on in the way you want, but I like hearing everyoneā€™s thoughts, theories and suggestions and can see what I can work in while keeping the storyline from jumping about too much where possible).

9 Likes

Awesome itā€™s been great so far!

1 Like

[Assumes choice that MC does not meet the mermaid after dad reveals things]

If weā€™re sprouting theories, my feel is:

1. One way or another, we will have to meet the mermaid. And maybe the plot point is when you enter the kingdom, you become a wanted ā€œcriminalā€ (lack of a better term) ā€“ wherein mermaid may threaten royal authorities and the like in order for you to come with her.

2. You meet the mermaid by whatever accident (probably something she caused) before being rescued by one of your animal friends or maybe an RO. During said encounter between MC and mermaid, she reveals a bit why she wants you. Similar to what happened in the update but with more info?

3. MC seeks out mermaid because of something that they has to solve? Like ā€œoh we need an item that can only be found underwater in maybe a mermaid kingdomā€ and MC strikes a last bargain between them and the mermaid: I will go with you but only if we solve this thing. Mermaid reluctantly agrees and maybe forms some magical pact thatā€™s forever binding given how awful MCā€™s fam has been at keeping promises :))

4. MC finally finds a town/city/etc that has dealings with merpeople on a regular basis. They find out how to break the pact between them and the mermaid, but some kind of adventure/plot something occurs before they have a chance to bring it up with her.

5 Likes

Well whatever happens, I want you to stay true to what you want to write :slight_smile: either way, Iā€™m really excited about this story :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Well this game is good canā€™t wait for keep up the good work

1 Like

After trying and failing to find stock that I liked, I tried to do some artwork for it. Iā€™ve come to the conclusion that:
a) People are really hard to paint. (Even half human ones).
b) My speed paints are not at all speedy.
c) I really need to practice more often.
d) Even with a plan my artwork still ends up being the wrong size anyway. (That tail was the main culprit it did itā€™s own thing in the end) :stuck_out_tongue:

32 Likes

What happens if you get caught by the mermaid

Wellā€¦ Iā€™m sure my definition of the term ā€œThe time of your life.ā€ Is largely inaccurate since you are most likely drowned. Or depending on your point of view youā€™re alive but doing her bidding which yet again is most likely not my definition of 'Doing her bidding."

1 Like

Itā€™ll be in the later chapters (I havenā€™t written it yet :slight_smile:)