The Sea Maiden (WIP) Last update 14th of Feb

Thanks @Asura. By all means suggest away although I can’t promise depending on what they’re doing later in the story I have planned :slight_smile:

Laughs, I never knew that was the formula @moonwalkerdragon. I now consider myself educated :smiley: Ok yes, because everyone does want to know about the RO’s, I am seriously thinking about writing the mermaid in as a possible RO if I can get her to co-operate long enough in the story line instead of hunting down and generally traumatising the MC.

@Vattena and @UmbraLamia You’re both right. Depending on the choices you make he can be potentially quite important to what happens, or just a passing character showing that there’s often magic under everyone’s noses but not always recognised.

9 Likes

So… we already have the prince/princess and possibly the mermaid. The selkie could be a possible RO. As for ideas I had… a yeoman farmer, a knight errant, a witch/wizard (provided such things exist in this setting)…

4 Likes

Formula for good fantasy romance (written by a nerd):

1. find two willing romance lovers (find at all good local carparks, seen making googly eyes at each other)
  2. find a nerd on fantasy (usually found I dark corners on collage campuses, found playing Warcraft)
  3. test them by showing the romance lovers various pictures of mythical creatures and see what makes them swoon the most (Note: al fully fledged nerds please find a suitable sick bucket)
  4. show the possible romances to a nerd to see if they approve (may lead to a battle of wits, TCG or gaming; be prepared!)
    I) argue with nerd on monster theory (effective on fantasy nerds, not so on science nerds so please don’t get the two mixed up)
    ii) call it a draw by use of Warcraft (screw up, lose the nerd who shall laugh at your defeat)
  5. put in a pinch of adventure (not too much since it makes Nerds scared)
  6. leave the cook, have a break, do homework (beware of jocks when participating in these activities)
  7. present the story to the world! (then return to your natural habitat called the basement)

I shall not take credit as I did not write this, I did ask permission from my friend to post this
this is the unofficial formula of good fantasy romance.

2 Likes

…Must…resist…

…I cannot.

You meant write, right?

Also, your friend is a genius. :grin:

1 Like

yes, I did mean write thank you very up Madame Cortana and Mr auto correct :frowning2:
you may not want to say that, it might inflate his ego more than it is suppose to be healthy.

2 Likes

Ah, yes. I know someone with such a nature.

I won’t say any names.

@Wire_Ryse

That aside, last time I played this, the MC kept referring to the prince as a she. I’ll have to play through it again and see if I spot them.

1 Like

Really? Sorry @Scorpio00, I’ve been trying to fix all the gender flipping bugs. I really made a mess of them. (I need to use a different system for them next time, it’s too similar and easy for me to accidently use the wrong code for the wrong character. I also made the mistake of making the basic mc code male (when I’m female) and the prince/princess female to follow the fairy tale but it means when I’m writing from my point of view it’s easy to get the pronouns mixed up. (Live and learn I guess). I really am trying to sort it out. I very much appreciate it if you point out any bugs I’ve missed.

I guess the easiest/most common/simplest method is to use variables instead of if/else commands.

I’ll assume that’s what you’ll be using?

Oh yeah I do, the problem is with the code itself (or lack there of).
Example the MC is written as {he}. Originally the princess was {she) but, sometimes I would trip up and and write {she} for the MC and {he} for the princess since that’s the way around I would play it.
So I started writing it a {pshe} so that hopefully I get errors with just {she} which the quicktest finds for me.
Mostly that’s worked but sometimes I’ll still mess it up, particularly if I accidently write “he” or “she” without the variable (that’s the most common thing I’ve done).
To make it worse, I’ve also got gender flipped horses which are {hhe}. If I write it as {he} by mistake it’ll mess it up for people who choose the mare.

I think I need to make it clearer for myself so I think about it in the future. Probably same gender and all of them tagged, (ie {mc-he}, {horse-he} for he/she.

In saying that I had a big bug with the prince/princess switch in the original version which I did fix that was a missing *if command. Anyways rambling now :slight_smile:

1 Like

You shouldn’t put hyphens in variable names. Try underscores (“_”) or just don’t leave a gap (“mche”).

2 Likes

This was very interesting! I wasn’t quite sure what to expect going in (the concept isn’t like any I’m used to), and I ended up really enjoying it. One of my favorite things with games like this is the ability to build solid relationships with other characters, and that was done very well here. It also helps when those characters are interesting and unique (they were😄). Aside from that, the plot is fun and engaging. Can’t wait to read more!

3 Likes

Hi all, I’ve put up another update to the chapter if you stay in the cave after being captured by the mermaid and you don’t leave

It’s very wordy and conversation heavy. Lots of *if selections and the like, took quite a while to set out I think it should hopefully be bug free as far as I can tell. Wondering what everyone thinks of the format and the information you get from it. If you don’t like it, suggestions welcome :slight_smile:

Edit just had a thought, there might be a file bug, I’ll just have a quick search to see if I can find it (was turning up on the quicktest).
Edit2: Did a search of the last file and I can’t find the quicktest error. If you happen to get a bug that redirects you to a file that says “Empty file so tester will work” if you could let me know I’d really appreciate it. (I’m not sure if it’s a real bug or not). Thanks!

9 Likes

How do you get captured by her?

2 Likes

Will send you a PM @Mxm124 :slight_smile:

i wanna know how to getcaptured too

3 Likes

No probs, since it’s sounding a bit tricky to get to the point where you’re captured by the mermaid I’ll post a brief walkthrough for @Vanessa_Pang and anyone else who needs it.

Spoilers Ahoy:

There’s two main ways to end up captured. The first is to try and force the princess/princess to marry you against his/her wishes by defeating the river monster and claiming marriage as the prize.

The second is if you fail to defeat the river monster. There’s a few ways to do this but one is to build a raft and then select: #Refuse to let Otter face the monster alone so you can escape. Try to bring the creature’s attention back to you.

To get to the new part I’ve written, for the second option, you also need to decline help from the selkie or upset her enough that she leaves and you stay put in the cave.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I suspected the mermaid was going to eat us your update confirmed that :disappointed:

6 Likes

Evil laugh (See post 61). Seriously though the story isn’t quite finished yet though you might get out of it in one piece…possibly :wink:

7 Likes

Yeah one emaciated piece :joy:

3 Likes

I’ll admit at first I was reluctant to read but
I’m glad I did, coz now im hooked. And like a few others I hope the mermaid is a RO D: shes quite interesting so far…even if it looks like she’ll be a though one :confused:

Edit: how do you unlock the option “perhaps i’d be less troubled if you’d stay a while and talk to me”

9 Likes