The Resident ("You-Are-A-Ghost" Game) W.I.P

As nice as that was, I think that option was for people who preferred non-binary genders. Or at least one that doesn’t fit in to the classical ‘male’ or ‘female’. It’d be a whole different ball game for a cause of death. But I suppose an option like that would be interesting in its own way; add to the sense of mystery even more.

Rather than “How did (s)he die?” “Murdered”, it’d be "How did (s)he die? “No-one actually knows. She just kicked the bucket for some unknown reason that nobody can discern. Anyway, have fun in your new lovely, totally not haunted house guys!”

2 Likes

I really like this game. It enable me to be an eternaly annoying nuisance to every living being, who keeps poltergheisting around, prodding people, making fragile little things fall from high places ,
keep messing with the oven’s settings so that moms always burn their cakes.
Ahah I’m so evil for ruining the cake.
Also I am routing for throwing ashly into embarassing situations (and all kinds of troubles when I think about it) at all ocasions using my master annoyer powers, just for the sake of being annoying.

My point being : Keep up the good work @Marvolo :+1: !

6 Likes

Played the updated demo and really enjoyed it! You do a good job in giving players the option on how being a ghost could be like. I will assume that the manipulating objects option won’t always have such a negative ghost vibe. Wanna use those powers to be helpful, too! :slight_smile:

Played the updated demo, still quite promising! :smiley:

Small thing I came across though; you forgot the ‘d’ in the ‘confused’ below (the instance when you interact with the dog, trying to pet it):

“You can see it look confuse for a second, and then it drew back. It stared at you for a good long moment, and then it resumed barking.”

Otherwise, nothing specific I spoted (but, well, I was focusing more on the story than searching for errors in this particular instance :stuck_out_tongue: ) . Looking forward to hanging out with the kids! :smiley:

You can see it look confuse for a second, and then it drew back.
looked confused

Oh my goodness I correctly guessed that Ashly is an alternative kid! :tada:

Ashly’s emotions when we connected to her give me the feeling of Borderline Personality Disorder. She has a fear of abandonment, mostly I think she feels this about Lucas because she’s definitely not on good terms with her father and her mother is too detached to connect with, leaving her brother the only one to remain close to. She feels intense emotion, mostly anger. This can change pretty quickly though, she went from angry and sarcastic to somewhat friendly and jokey when going out to eat. She’s lonely and depressed, probably even neglected. Finally, judging by her attitude and thoughts, I get the feeling she’s impulsive.

These are all the traits the of BPD. I could be wrong, but this is the vibe I’m getting from her.

1 Like

Well, don’t know about BPD, but Ashly is an interesting case alright. Tough and snarky on the surface, but much more insecure and angry underneath of that. Seems to have a bit of a rocky relationship with her father given how low that meter is the lowest of all and not in so good a relationship with her mother either (for obvious reasons). Has a good relationship with her brother - maybe it’s one of the few things that keeps her stable as thigns are now, even… While we haven’t seen how her academic ability/results are yet, I’d bet that in the beginning, they’re not so good - the flashes we get of her life when we latch onto her seems to imply that she’s possibly a bit of a problem child, the kind who stays out long past the curfew and prefers partying and having fun instead of studying (possibly to distract herself from the problems in her life)…

As far as helping her out goes, she might prove a tought challenge, but as for making her case worse goes, might not take much to add fuel to the fire there… I also note the “You and her”-meter is lower than in Lucas case, so I suppose she’ll be the one out of the two more suspicious of us, at least at first…

1 Like

I think this is where her abandonment issues come into play. She’s sarcastic to him but she cares about him and is scared he will leave her, because then she truly is lost.

I think on an academic level I agree, they will be pretty low but what she lacks in academics I think she makes up for creativity. She has taken a course in fine arts and although her look may say ‘trouble’ some people will say ‘expressive.’

I also think she’s mixed into a bad crowd. We probably will get a choice to get her out of there or sink her even deeper into it.

She definitely will be a challenging one. She might try to reject the tether several times or just plain ignores us. Gradually, the MC might be her only comfort and confidentiality.

Oh, and not to mention that she will mentally beat herself that her only friend is a ghost xD

1 Like

Ashly: realizes this “Oh God… I swore that no matter how messed up things became, I’d NEVER enter the ‘nutcase talking to an invisible friend’-stage!”

MC: “On the plus side, I’m totally real! It’s just that others can’t see me…”

Ashly: throw a pillow at the MC or something, which of course passes right through them “You’re NOT helping…”

2 Likes

I agree. Plus, maybe she’s skipping so often, that she’s really behind on the class and has no idea how to do the level of work her classmates are doing, adding more stress and increasing the chances of her skipping more. Ghost MC like you said, can help her if they’re intelligent, but the real challenge would be convincing her to go into school so they can work on it in the first place.

Very good point. Maybe one of her first priorities is finding a group who are ‘like her.’ Basically, finding a bunch of older, rougher people who do all the bad stuff that will make your mother blush.

1 Like

@Nathan_Faxon - stop now. We both know you are planning a fanfiction. You can start one later but not now.

York is crying in his pudding and tea.

@DarkSpeck - thank you for a wonderful start. Usually ghost stories are too “Casper” or too “Patrick Sweewhatevertheactorsnameis” for me. I like having a unique ghost that isn’t too cute or too mushy-romantic.

2 Likes

But but but my Ghost is a dickweed! He’s not violent or sadistic, just very annoying XD don’t worry, York hasn’t been forgotten.

3 Likes

shivers

Everytime someone uses that term, I picture dandilions and other weeds growing out of a guy’s nether parts … lots of colorful weeds down there I guess.

5 Likes

[quote=“Nathan_Faxon, post:136, topic:17131, full:true”]
I agree. Plus, maybe she’s skipping so often, that she’s really behind on the class and has no idea how to do the level of work her classmates are doing, adding more stress and increasing the chances of her skipping more. Ghost MC like you said, can help her if they’re intelligent, but the real challenge would be convincing her to go into school so they can work on it in the first place.[/quote]

Assuming she’s indeed skipping that much and not just not giving a damn about doing her homework or putting her heart into studying and that sort of thing, yes. If she isn’t skipping that much, it’ll be easier work for an MC who wants to help her out, at least… I guess we’ll see just how much of a student she is later…

Yeah - if she’s indeed skipping school that much, she’ll seek to hang out with the so-called "cool crowd’ in the city/town, if not, she’ll simply seek a smiliar crowd at school, if it exists…

Hey, it’s Marvolo that’s doing this WIP, not me :stuck_out_tongue:

Which York is that? Francis York Morgan? Naah, can’t be, he prefers coffee as I recall… :confused:

I prefer to be a compromise. I’m probably going to tell Ashley when she’s being an idiot, but I won’t actively be trying to ruin her life either. I’ll be a good deceased sort of friend, same with her bro.

…it’s actually refreshing also to have a CS game where you’re not having to think actively about romance with a character, unless you want to. Just trying to sort their own romantice lives instead! :stuck_out_tongue:

I cried when I came to the end of the demo, heartbroken tnat it ended when I was in full motion and reality brought me to a screaming hault. Great start and look forward to MORE. :smile:

1 Like

[quote=“derekmetaltron, post:141, topic:17131, full:true”]
I prefer to be a compromise. I’m probably going to tell Ashley when she’s being an idiot, but I won’t actively be trying to ruin her life either. I’ll be a good deceased sort of friend, same with her bro.[/quote]

Nothing wrong with a neutral-ish approach to the situation :slight_smile: . Though rather than neutral, I’d describe the situation you describe as a “non-intervention angel-on-shoulder-approach” :wink:

@Marvolo just a thought here. Would we eventually have the opportunity to show Ashly or Lucas how we died? Either by they read our memories or ‘live’ the memory in our shoes, experiencing the death we did and all of the emotions and pain along with it.

1 Like

“Showing them how we died” might be good or bad …

Either it will show them more about us and they can understand us better… or scare them witless. It depends on how we died.

6 Likes