The Realm of Steel 11/29/20 Demo Update

This confused me at 1st because the game is listed gender choice/ non binary inclusive. Then I actually checked out the demo and saw that there was actually a gender choice. Maybe you could edit your description to:
" you play a knight who has lost everything. Your home, your friends, your family… and maybe yourself. But somewhere within you burns the desire for more… to give power to the oppressed and unify The Realm of Steel!"

1 Like

I need more puzzles !!! It’s the easiest way to increase stat and we only have one, unacceptable

Great advice! I will change that promptly.

I’m actually almost done with two more puzzles in Chapter 2, I’m just working out the kinks and balancing them. But fear not! They are coming… (Maybe next update? No promises :joy:)

New update pushed out: Added 1000 words ish and just a bunch of minor fixes mainly. Spent a few hours rewriting sections and catching spelling, grammar, all that good stuff. So not a ton of new content, but it should just overall read more easily. (@Manaxaggd puzzles still aren’t working as they are supposed to, so no more puzzles. Yet :sweat_smile:)

Edit: @Mistyleaf123 Duly noted! I’ll go back tonight and check for any additional gender errors :grin:

2 Likes

great game! like the update, but there’s a few gender typos

i’m a female, but it sometimes says i’m male: Beside me stands MC, the Phoenix." At this, most of the room gasps. "He is mine, a slave to my will. Anyone, and I do mean anyone… will suffer. Let Necros, my lover, be an example unto all of you."

there is more at the beginning, i think :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Just a tidy little update. Added maybe 300 words, but I fixed various gender issues/typos/awkward sentences.

1 Like

I have to say that some of the world-building in this is just absolutely fantastic! The creation myth of Alatala in particular was incredibly well done. The way Alatala creates the first human is reminiscent of many actual creation myths that I’ve read and therefore just feels more genuine.

Regardless, the idea that a god (maybe?) bestows life to something by giving up a part of their own life essence is a really cool idea! What I like even more is the idea that with each new human Alatala grows weaker, therefore causing the humans that he created to lose faith in him and his existence. The dark irony of giving up so much of one’s self only to be forsaken by the people who you have sacrificed for because you sacrificed for them is deeply interesting and moving.

2 Likes

@T_Chaney I’m glad you liked it! I absolutely love ancient mythologies (Greek, Hindu, various Native American, not too mention some of the more modern ones), and I draw much of my lore from real beliefs.

Exactly!

Spoilery ish

hint hint nudge nudge

This will be a huge theme throughout the story, so I’m glad you picked up on it so early!

1 Like

Poll time! I plan to implement two puzzles soon, but as to what is up to you. I have… 6 now? Maybe 7? Which are you most interested in?

• Riddle
  • Something with math
  • Detective-style explore the room
  • Word play
  • Logic
  • Guessing

0 voters

Let me know! And I hope you are having fun!

3 Likes

Alrighty, here’s another update for y’all. Added… hmmm, I’m not quite sure, I don’t remember what I had uploaded in the last update. At least 3000 words, probably closer to 4000+. Revised stat screen, and in general just continued the story. This was the final update before we get into the important/meaningful/actually fun part of the game. As always, feedback is appreciated (specifically for this update: thoughts on King Cortar anyone?), and enjoy!

Edit: One thing I should mention, next update might not be for awhile. Early college apps are due this Sunday, and also I want to complete a large chunk of the next section before releasing it. Just a heads up :grin:

Edit 2: @Manaxaggd hahaha I’m sorry, I’m sorry. I had the place I wanted to put them in, but it didn’t really flow. So now the puzzle(s) are in a better spot. Stay tuned

3 Likes

Ok :+1:

1 Like

I’m waiting puzzles in despair and all kind of negative emotions

1 Like

Love it! Can’t wait to manage my castle!

1 Like

Alright, time for some community input! Here’s the setup:

Power Reference

Healing- like it sounds
Vigor- gives you and your companions a physical and mental boost
Maelstrom- basically elemental control
Fury- you get real mad and your strength/ fighting ability increases exponentially
Necromancy- zombies! (to include animals and basically anything else that once was alive)
Hellstorm- you control a demon

You are trying to convince a group of bandits to join your cause by impressing them with your magic. There are 6 magics, each with two different options. So 12 total paths (but not all are successful). But there is so much more you could do with your powers, but I don’t particularly want to write anything that no one will pick. So, the question: What would you do with your specific power to sway the bandits to your side?

@hydra those are already the two heal options :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Stab a bandit and heal them. Or stab myself and heal.

2 Likes

Just a quick update on what I’m doing: the choices when trying to win over the bandits has ballooned quite… (insert adjective here, but I prefer terribly) I finished two of the choices, but just that was 3000 words of code. So since the last demo update, I’ve added 6000 ish words. Very fun to write, but it is pushing my schedule back a tad bit.

(Oh, and also, any additional choices you’d like to see (see my last post) please let me know! Any other feedback is much appreciated as well. Thanks!)

Edit: It is taking me a bit longer than expected, but I’m still writing 1-2 thousand words every night, it is just taking an absurd amount of words to write this scene. I won’t give an expected update date, because I have no idea haha. I want to get this right before pushing the draft out.

5 Likes

Update out! Hooray! Except it’s only a partial update, so kind of hooray! Anyways, a lot has been added to the Leave Valor path now, (about 10,000 words ish). I added a choice to make it so that you can skip directly to chapter 2, where you can playtest the new content. There’s one spot that doesn’t make sense when you speak with Gwinn (I already know) but if y’all want to play the scene where you try and recruit the bandits, that is there now.

Feedback I’m looking for: What other choices do you want during the bandit scene? I can easily write more, I just don’t know what is wanted. So let me know!

3 Likes

You can add some less ridiculous options for distraction

yay I can be a Healer and show everyone how overpowered and universal my support magic is, most healing get restriction to only works for allies, but here I am hurting an enemy and heal them back, toying with their lives :rofl:

keep doing the good work, can’t wait for the updates :wink:

@Manaxaggd Ah, not that bandit scene. The one at the end of chapter 2. But good to know for chapter 1! Thanks!

@Valda_Reehux Haha I’m glad you like it! And yeah, that never made sense to me, why can we only heal “good” guys? Well now you can heal whoever you feel like :joy:

@Mei_Hiroshi Dang it haha. Thanks for catching those! I’ll fix them tonight. Do you remember if you were playing easy or realistic?

@Empress_Nightmare Thanks for the kind words! Also, probably no save mechanic but please look at the poll at the bottom and see if you like that instead…