Closed

@Bulk_Biceps Your clue is Fibonacci sequence. (Sorry it took you 3 hours! That was NOT my intention. Sorry again!) and I will take your suggestion to heart, great advice!

1 Like

The puzzle was way too easy. It’s just the fibonacci sequence. It almost felt a bit insulting how much time was spent on justifying how difficult the puzzle was and then to just have ol’ fibonacci waiting there.

I guess it’s also a bit weird as math and number theory aren’t related to the story in any respect. The puzzle should probably have something to do with what we’ve been learning about in the story, particularly given that the character is so young.

I think 12 is way too young still — you’ve written the main character as though they’re 18 throughout with the level of skill, responsibility, and desensitisation to violence they have.

1 Like

Bro it may be easy for you but not others I am 17 years old and I have no clue what a fibonacci sequence is

It’s relatively well known, though if you haven’t heard of it before, then it might take a while to get it. But if you do know what it is, it’s super recognizable and the puzzle becomes trivial. I don’t think Fibonacci is a very good fit if you still want to keep the math puzzle in there.

1 Like

@will Perhaps I should just make him 18 then? Push the present day towards… 24 ish? Would that make it seem more plausible?
@ninjablu @Midnight-Angel @Drakeye Maybe I’ll take out the Fibonacci sequence, put in an easy, but new, math puzzle. Then as the game progresses, puzzles will become much harder, but the rewards will grow as well. Would that work for everyone?

1 Like

It’s simple addition

That will help ease people. It’s not the answer but it makes finding the answer way easy.
@Jackpot1776 I’m actually shocked it’s bothering people most puzzles annoy me this one my brain accedently auto solved it before I finished getting to read all of the paragraph.

if you edit the words slightly so that it goes from i trust you to “why dont you come up with a idea and so will i” then have them wait pretending to think and when the character does go with “thats a good idea” this leaves a leadership training situation and gives the appearance to the reader that they just happend to come up with a idea thats good while later it reveals as to why…they have been training you your whole life. this would allow for a young age to make sense but not to young say 12-13 roughly common puberty and medieval common age of squires & pages

2 Likes

Following most of your suggestions, I added a plethora of changes to the game, chief of those being: difficulty setting, tweaking dialogue, changing MC’s age to 14.(see change log for more) Good luck, and have fun!

Just an update from me (no update uploaded to playable demo yet): Added about a 1000 words in extra choices, I should have chapter 1 completed sometime this weekend, hopefully at about 20k words.

6 Likes

New update out (link is updated). Wasn’t sure whether to release it yet, but I added a bunch of stuff (1500 words worth) and I like it so far, so give it a go. See changelog for more details

2 Likes

Huge update: see changelog for more details, but in short Chapter 1 is done! Hooray! Let me know what you think!

3 Likes

9/30 Update: 2000 ish words added, various other stuff. See changelog for more details. Onward!

2 Likes

The story feels a lot more polished now. Although I think that there should be more conversation choices. For example when we look for Virginia there is just one option to choose from. Expanded conversation choices would be a nice addition imo. It would also give more opportunities for shaping the personality of the mc.

3 Likes

Noted! It will be done :grin:

1 Like

Mini update out: mainly just added dialogue options to further flesh out various characters, but I also added 1000 words ish to the leave valor scenario

5 Likes

Update 10/2/20: I felt the world-building was lacking, so I added in a new scene where you are introduced to the three main religions of the The Realm of Steel (plus it makes you think, so bonus points?) Adds about 1,500 words, making the average playthrough about 12,000 words (but one option is more developed, thats around 18k words.)

4 Likes

Nice game! I think its a bit rail-roaded. Despite that, I cant wait for new updates :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Mistyleaf123 Thank you! One of my pet peevs is railroading, so while Chapter 1 is to some extent, the rest of the game is supposed to branch very far out. (You should see my poster board, absolute mess haha)

New update! Realized that I did not add the choice to access the previously mentioned religion introduction (ugh, major fail whoops). ANYWAYS… yeah so that is there now, added some more to both of the branches during Chapter 2.

3 Likes

Hey again! No actual demo update tonight (hopefully by this Monday but no promises), but I was messing around with some mapmakers and created some concept art for The Capital and your hometown, Fis. I’m also trying to draw a map of the larger world (there are some absolutely AMAZING artists here but you know, I’m 17, I have no money :sweat_smile:). So yeah, look for that soon, but judging by the thirty or so crumpled papers now in my trash, might not be for awhile. Anyways, let me know what you think of the city maps!

12 Likes

Scratch what I said a few hours ago. Update out! 2500 words, a funny (but deadly) scene, and maps! (except they don’t quite work yet) Enjoy!
Edit: Maps work!

2 Likes

Slowly but surely! New update out, puts total word count at about 25.5k. chapter 2 is now officially underway, I’ve started building to main event in both branches of the story. As always, feedback is appreciated! Specifically for this time, what do you think of Ciarda? Happy reading!

2 Likes