One Thousand Blooms — (ON HIATUS)

Is it just me or is the link dead? I click the demo but all I get is a 404 error.

@Harian Short answer: yeh.

Mostly because the other system went kaput, and when I have to update, I’ll go to Dashingdon. I hope it’s easy to use, ‘cause technology and me are like water and oil. And well, it would be kind of meaningless to have a public thread for a game unless I planned for you to play it, just sayin’.

Haha, you’re such a sweetheart :wink:

Love it or hate it, The Society rules won’t leave you indifferent :joy: You’re absolutely right, spite will be a huge inducement in a lot of playthroughs, though rebel MCs won’t have an easy time once they are out of their kid years :imp: For now, Datura protects them from a lot of things, but well, he can’t shield them forever.

@Misa101 hey, there’s going to be plenty of wrong here :smiling_imp:

@IvoryOwl yep, the link is dead; dropbox doesn’t work anymore :disappointed:

Regarding the game: now, I wonder what would happen if I were to make it 18+. I seriously want to make it suitable for younger audiences, but after some planning and whatnot, this is going to be at least 15-16+, because there’s some serious heavy stuff.

The game atmosphere is similar to the late Victorian/Edwardian era, the technology and industry tip toeing around; it exists, yet its development is rather slow. Though if I have to be entirely honest here, I based The Society on The Roman Empire, so… yeh, wait for some complications.

Health and hygiene are fairly advanced, as long as it doesn’t mean surgical intervention; after all, “cutting the body open” is a monstrosity for The Society, and only done in extreme cases, like a cesarean section. Even then, it’s not seen with good eyes, and midwives and doctors that had need of it are seen as failures (“not good enough”).

What does it mean, then? Personal hygiene is something that doctors insist on. Unlike back when people washed their hair only once a week/ twice a month, in this world people are aware that showering/bathing is important, and not a way to let evil or a sickness enter your body. But surgical interventions are rather primitive and not really developed, far behind their technology; the most they can do are “simple” extirpations and then cauterize it/stitch it. Oh, and nothing about blood transfusions :syringe:

The fashion is also late Victorian/Edwardian, more likely a mix and match of them (some people prefer the former, others the latter, some do original combinations…), though this one is truly a matter of personal taste, as long as it’s not naff or gaudy. But when it comes to very formal/important parties, it’s more common to see the Victorian style.

4 Likes

My opinion is that you need to write the story as you see it in your writer’s soul. If you water it down for a different ratings or change something because the Commission dings bad language or whatever, you’re not going to be happy with the story.

3 Likes

Yep, you’re right, but my writer’s soul is unsure. It’s not for the commission or anything like that, but the tone of the story; like, I’m leaving some things out that I don’t want to deal with, but at the same time there are some themes that make me doubt if this is 16+ or 18+.

Write a portion with each in mind then see which appeals better to you. Sometimes you have to let both come out and see which is better.

4 Likes

This project is still alive, though the progress is hella slow. I’m putting new stuff and re-writing some things, plus trying to figure out a system that works for the player’s character’s personality.

There are new stats in the profile:

Affable vs. Acrimonious: you’ll get more bees with honey than vinegar, but maybe it’s best to keep them away unless you want to risk getting stung.

Forthright vs. Underhanded: are you honest and without a single scheming bone in your body? Or do you like the subtle approach better, since sometimes, the direct one is not the best?

Radical vs. Traditional: the name themselves say it all. Are you in favor of The Society current rules or not? Do you want to throw off the regime and destroy the classes, makes everyone equal? Or do you like your actual position?

Effete vs. Mannish: in a very gendered society, it’s important to keep in mind how you want people to perceive you. Related to reputation, yet not directly connected with Radical vs. Traditional.

Virtuous vs. Wayward: not related to any of the previous stats. Are you a good child or not?

If you want info about some of the ROs, click here:

The Faerwald siblings:

• Maynard: the oldest of the four, is eight years older than Maetthere and your MC. Natural tan skin which is dusker thanks to the multiple outdoors activities he does. His hair is dark brown and his eyes are the same color as iron. Takes after their father, Caelan. You won’t see much of him in your MC’s childhood years, but once Shade reaches adulthood, he’s going to be around. He’s strict and doesn’t like change, and Rhona often says that he doesn’t know how to have fun.

• Coriander: named Cora by her siblings and four years older than Maetthere. Unlike all of her siblings she doesn’t have a single drop of Faerwald blood, since she is the daughter of Perebea’s previous relationship. Her biological father remains unknown. She’s fair skinned with a lot of freckles, with hazel brown eyes and honey blonde locks. Having learned everything from her mother, she’s the very definition of a “proper lady”, feminine and coquette; she has plenty of suitors.

• Maetthere: the awkward one, doesn’t share much similarities with his older brother or father since he shares looks with their grandfather. From staying indoors most of his time, his skin looks paler than it really is. His hair is chestnut with blonde highlights and his eyes a pale blue. Childhood friend of the MC, they have the same age; he lacks confidence and is very much a bookworm. Has a strong dislike for fencing, but loves horseback riding. His mare’s name is Peppermint.

• Rhona: the youngest of the Faerwald, three years younger than your MC, thus the most pampered child of the family. Her skin is tan and peppered with freckles, and has strawberry blonde/copper hair, which to everyone’s horror, she cuts short. Her eyes are a dark brown yet bright with life. Unlike all of her siblings, she’s cheerful and jaunty, to the point it’s almost unbecoming; that’s something that displeases her family greatly, whether it’s for tradition or future consequences.

Lupin: ???

Kalmia: ???

24 Likes

Hmmm… could you explain what these two mean and entail?

PS: Forgot to ask but do you have a dashington link? The old dropbox one doesn’t work anymore. :disappointed:

Well…I guess for this stat also a something outside of min-maxing will have consequences?

I also like that you seperated the schemimg stat from the “good child” stat.

About the ROs I wonder if it will be possible to build up different dynamics with them without getting barred from the romance/friendship paths? (For example both Maynard and Coriander sound interesting for me, but I would be suprised if they would deal/build the same kind of relationship with a radical MC the same way they do with a traditional)
Basically I’m asking how important the relationships (platonic and romantic) will be for the story.

1 Like

This is just me but I find it when I’m questioning myself to always go with my first opinion cause I feel like it’s always the best option but I feel like you might want to take on someone who has taken special interest in this project to bounce a few ideas off of, I know that always helps me.

Love what you have done with the world building… Just one question, if scars are such an issue in the Society, how do they deal with those in the military, and to a lesser extent say, injuries received in fencing?

1 Like

Basically, the idea of feminine/masculine that exists in this world; the way they present. It’s related to behaviour, tastes and to some point, clothing (but since the world of fashion happens to be very fickle, it’s not directly related to radical/traditional). The Society has a lot of gender roles even if they are not as pronounced as in our current world some decades ago; both men and women can inherit titles and lands, lead their own business and families, yet there are a lot of things “expected” of them. This stats shows how they are perceived in general, if it satisfies the expectations upon your MC for being designated x at birth; you can fight it or comply with it.

Of course, this will affect some of your future relationships and such, since people happen to form preconceived notions out of everyone :wink:

And no, there’s no link; I know myself and I want to have something substantial ready for when I update, so… sorry :disappointed_relieved: I plan to update towards mid-February, with the new prologue done and part of chapter 1.

Yeah, it will affect how some people interact with you and how some of the factions see you in general. It’s a bit like the litle sibling stat of Radical/Traditional. Some people will feel more at ease with feminine looking characters, others may not trust the overly masculine MCs, maybe you can get bits of valuable gossip or useful tricks…

Haha, yeah, I learned some time ago that being cunning doesn’t directly mean that you’re some selfish bastard; maybe you’re just being sly because you don’t like recognition when you do plenty of good :wink:

Oh, yep, I’m planning for a lot of different different interactions depending on your MC’s personality, yet without completely locking out ROs paths. You’re right, Maynard and Coriander are rather conventional (one more than the other) and won’t regard a (highly) radical MC with the same good eyes as a traditional one. That means that the radical MCs will have to work a bit harder for their romance/friendship, but it won’t be impossible for them.

Yet there will be moments, where the interests of both parties (MC and RO) will clash, and depending on what you pick, you will get kicket out of the route, since both of your beliefs (yours and the Ro’s) will be vastly different. You can disagree with them on some things, yes, and ideas can change over time, but there are moments where you’ll clearly see that it won’t work.

E.g: slavery. In this game there’s no such thing, but I’ll use it as an example. If your MC was vehemently against it, yet the RO was in favor of such practice, there are only two possible outcomes:

1. Your MC keeps their ideals and can’t romance the RO anymore.
    1. They change/sacrifice their beliefs and stay with their love interest.

This game will have several instances where they will have to make some hard decisions :wink:

Oh, a lot :imp: In this kind of game, where there are a lot of secrets, backstabbing and hidden plots, it’s better if you have allies on your side. Whether if it’s for an arranged marriage, an extensive web of contacts, business partners, favors that are best kept under wraps or whatnot, allies are important :wink:

@Misa101 sorry, I don’t get what you mean? :sweat_smile:

@COGZealot aaaw, thank you :blush:

In the military, most of the people there are Thorns (rankless people, commoners), so they don’t really care; they have no title, so they are already lowly and contemptible in the eyes of The Society, and even if they manage to get a title thanks to a great feat, they wouldnt be very liked either. In case they have scars, though, they have to cover them in public.

The kids of nobles have ranks that are less…fight-oriented and more commanding-oriented, so the risk of injuries is lesser. Yet, I must say this, the people there know what they are getting into, and make sure to protect themselves really good of injuries. The MC’s uncle, Adonis Crowfoot, doesn’t have a really good reputation because if this: he cares little for things such as scars and makes everyone work hard.

When it comes to fencing practices, (outside the military) they use either carved wooden swords that weight like the real thing, or special blades whose edges have been dulled, so instead of cutting, the harm is blunt and leaves bruises. Then there’s the attire and all the rules: that’s why Maetthere dislikes it; 'cause it’s a hassle.

There’s “an uniform”: they have to wear several layers, just to make sure. Firstly, they put on a long sleeved shirt or tunic made of cotton, after that another one made of jute or hemp (which has strong threads), then they have to bandage their arms, from their hands to their elbows. Lastly, they have to put on a jacket made of broadcloth, which is very resistant. Gloves are optional, but quite a few do actually choose them.

Some of the rules are:

• They can’t aim for the face or lower than the belt.
  • You can only hit your opponent with the sword; punching, kicking and bitting means instant disqualification for the aggressor.
  • The match lasts until one of them either throws their sword or gets hit a third time.
7 Likes

Ah, I thought so, but my question was more: What if we keep that stat in the middle? What about androgynous MCs? Will they get more flak? Less flak? The same amount of flak?

1 Like

Maybe I’m interpreting this wrong, but, say your playing as a male, and if your character is more Effete, they might be seen as something similar to this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrosexual
Too “Mannish” and you may be seen as the stereotypical male. In between, I’d think would be simply a mix of traits, so your not likely to take much if any flak.

Atleast from what I’ve understood so far. Feel free to correct me If I’m wrong though…

1 Like

That is way I’m asking. Will MC only seen critical if they go completely against the expectations or is it enough if they don’t fullfill the minimum expectations coming with their perceived gender.
(Also tbh I would like to play my MC as more androgynous in manner and presentation, not a MC that gets seen as acting too manly/feminine but a MC that’s acting like “who cares? I hope I confuse you!”)

1 Like

Not exactly, @COGZealot; in this culture, it’s kind of the norm, to take the utmost care of your appearance, from their skin (watching out for scarring to the point of refusing surgery) to their clothing. So all the men are metrosexual to some degree, may it be because they are the ones taking care of their looks or their servants.

The Effete vs. Mannish stat also takes into account things such as activities and certain behaviours, which means that said stat is going to fluctuate a lot. So the androgynous margin is going to be a bit difficult to keep your character on; just as @COGZealot, we, as people, are a mix of traits, so the “typical” (fe)male is about 70%, whereas 85-100% is the stereotype. An androdynous one will be about 55%, maybe 60%, on either side.

Yep, the middle ground would throw off a lot of people, but this confusion has its pros and cons; maybe you don’t get the worst things of some, but neither the advantages. And of course, the most…traditional embittered members of The Society won’t like it; sadly for everyone, they are many and powerful. Though, maybe, just maybe, certain people will like you better :wink:

Haha, I really want to play with this stat a lot, so depending on where your MC stands, they will get certain conversations :smirk:

3 Likes

Well that’s a little bit disappointing. :disappointed:

I just wonder how you will handle it when the stat really fluctuates that strongly?

Theoretically that way it may could end up with the MC jumping between extremes very often. That may wouldn’t influence one time encounters but what about recurring characters? It seems weird if they wouldn’t comment that at least in the beginning. That sounds difficult to track.

Eh, I will just wait for a playable version. It’s difficult to judge the balance of a system I only know in theory.

2 Likes

Error (401)?
When I try to open up the link this error page comes up.

That’s because dropbox links don’t work anymore. The author is planning on releasing a new update sometime in February, no promises though. Hopefully they will be able to edit the main post, otherwise we will have to scramble through the pages to find a working WIP. As threads get older they reach a point where they “lock” and its not possible to edit the main post anymore unless a mod converts them into a wiki post (or something like that).

Your story seems to be pretty good. But unfortunately I cannot open it :(. I was just intrested if there is any other format where I can read your story?

. . . Read the post above yours.

Here’s the quote from the author:

1 Like