The Price of Freedom: Innocence Lost (Complete)

historical-fiction
adult-fiction
gender-choice

Update: Great news guys! “The Price of Freedom: Innocence Lost” has been completed and submitted to the Hosted Games label. Real massive thanks to everyone who beta-tested, and all those who gave me feedback throughout. You really helped me improve the game and motivated me to get it finished, so thanks so much to all of you! :grin:

Warning: Before you guys read on, I want to let you all know that this game may not be suitable for younger players. It contains extreme violence, strong language and distressing themes, including; Slavery, Child Abuse, Physical and Emotional Abuse, Sexual Abuse, Racism, Sexism and probably some other stuff that I can’t even think of right now. Please do not play if any of these subjects might distress you.

Hi guys! Back with a new project I’ve been working on… Actually, it’s a very old project I’ve been working on. (Free cookie for any of you who actually recognize it. :cookie:) The original Price of Freedom: Innocence Lost was published on chooseyourstory.com way back in 2014, as a submission for the annual “Spring Thing” Interactive Fiction competition. (It won. Yey!) Here’s the link to the original if you’re interested.

But now I’ve got a brand new, shiny version to show you all! It’s over twice as long as the original game, and updates include:

• The options to play as male or female.
  • The player gets to choose their own name.
  • Five stats, as opposed to the original two.
  • Two extra chapters.
  • More detailed backstory for the MC, and a lot of the other characters.

So, I’ve been working on it for a long time, and the game is actually complete, and ready for beta-testing. This game is an open beta, so any help would be really appreciated, particularly if any of you can point out any spelling, grammar, coding or continuity errors. Feel free to point out any errors you find here in this thread, but I’d really appreciate it if you could blur any spoilers. :blush:

Here’s a synopsis to help you get the gist of the story:

You are ten years old when you first feel the weight of shackles around your wrists. In a matter of hours, your whole world is turned upside down as you and your brother are dragged away from your home in Greece to work as slaves in the Roman Empire. Now you must struggle for survival. Every decision you make will affect your future. Your life, the life of your brother and the lives of your friends are in your hands.

The Price of Freedom: Innocence Lost is a 100,000 word interactive historical adventure novel by Avery Moore, where your choices control the story. It’s entirely text-based, without graphics or sound effects, and fuelled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

Begin your journey as a young child, and make heartbreaking choices that will shape the adult you will become. Will you make friends or enemies? Will you submit to your masters or fight their every command? Will you sell your soul to earn your freedom, or sacrifice everything for the people you love? Will you even survive long enough to see the sun rise?

• Play as male or female.
• Impress your masters, or rebel against injustice.
• Make allies and enemies amongst your fellow students.
• Protect the ones you love, or fight for your own survival.
• Choose who’s lives you will save, and who’s fate you will leave to the Gods.

Here’s the link to the demo

And here are some polls for… Well, for my own amusement really. (I like to be nosy and see what people think of the game :yum:)

Who is your favourite character?

• Alexius
  • Lula
  • Titus
  • Rhode
  • Zeru
  • Gerda
  • Brasus
  • Caecilia
  • Septimus

0 voters

Which stat do you favour?

• Strength
  • Speed
  • Accuracy
  • Intelligence
  • Stealth

0 voters

Massive Spoiler Alert! Who did you choose to save at the end?

• Zeru
  • Gerda

0 voters

Another Massive Spoiler Alert! Did you put Brasus out of his misery?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

You can keep up to date with The Price of Freedom and my other games on social media at:

https://twitter.com/Avery__Moore

The Lawless Ones (Previously "Villains") Completed! (Beta Closed)

Holy crap this sounds like the kind of horrific dark and unsettling type of game that I’d be really into. Going to give it a few playthroughs

Apart from the excessive violence, it’s actually not that bad. I just figured I should add a warning for the other stuff, since I know some people get distressed by it. Things like sexual abuse are just implied rather than experienced, and sexism and racism are more historical issues, such as; Girls weren’t allowed to go to school, and Roman/Greek slaves were considered more valuable than African slaves.

Well It still sounds fascinating.

A nice surprise! I will have to delve into this so I can poll it up with everyone else.

I loved this when I played it back on chooseyourstory all that time ago so I was really happy to see it adapted for here, I’ll give it a go right away!

I’m just reading through it now but I did find a little bug:

Ohhh I’m going to bed right now but this sounds realllly interesting. I’ll play tomorrow!!!

Finally yes I’ve loved it on chooseyourstory!! Can’t wait to play it!!

I love how brutal and dark and gritty this is

I already know this book is going to be good as hell

I’ve been hoping for a year or two now that this game would go choicescript and :cry: ITS HERE.

It found de wae here brudda

So…I haven’t finished this yet, I’m very early into the game but I get to a part that just infuriated me. I’ve felt pure emotions in others games (on CoG and others), so I know I’m going to enjoy this game, well hopefully lol. But damn was I invested haha!

We’re just lucky we’re a female gladiator and not sold to… someone else.

Fascinating Game! Love it!

Found this. Gerda died, but she showed up in the Epilogue.

So far, I absolutely love the game. If you need any beta testers, I’d be more than happy to do it.

Hey @Avery_Moore! Nice to see you back with another WIP :grin:

Found a couple of bugs during my first playthrough

During the festival, all the NPC’s give you agift if you have an approval score of 15 or more with them except Brasus, you need 20+ with him.

And during chapter 9 if i choose to let Brasus suffer before he dies, it says i lose 5 approval with Septimus and Lula but checking my stat screen i actually gained 5.