The Porthecrawl Witness - Entering Beta

Long winded development question incoming! Quick, everybody duck.

I’m having a gosh-darned crisis. My creative writing professor would skin me alive for even entertaining this and the trauma is just really real because I’ve never done so bad on a paper as that one time I mentioned my character was wearing a yellow coat and guys, I just -

So…as a rule, I avoid superfluously detailed main characters. Mostly because I figured readers could just use their imaginations at their leisure.

Anyway, I notice with Choice games, the level of detail offered varies pretty widely from game to game.

So, I guess my question is: how much do you all like those options? Obviously, they don’t really make a difference. But when, say, you get to select clothing style etc, and then see that pop up as a variable…do you like it? Does it weigh down things and feel silly? Make things feel a little more tailored and ‘yours,’ for lack of a better way to put it?

Does it add to the immersion when you get to make those choices? Or do they take away from it, because whether or not Talbot likes your cool leather coat really doesn’t matter? Do we like reading how, if we wore a sweater, Quinn plucks at it nervously before saying how nice it looks?

If this were a more stat-oriented story, I’d give the idea a pass. But as writing continues, I find myself presented with opportunities to include these kinds of choices in ways that aren’t completely irrelevant. One of the most important things for me is to ensure that this MC is yours as much as they can be.

Besides this is the land of fun and excitement and I have the option to Try New Things. So…:+1: or :-1:

11 Likes

For me personally, I generally prefer to leave it in head canon space. I don’t like it when there are options but I don’t like any of them!

I could really dig a compromise position where you have aesthetic categories, but don’t clearly list what articles of clothing are “chic” or “classic” or what have you style. Then the other characters can respond, but people can imagine their idea of what constitutes a certain style.

But in the end, I’m going to head canon my MC a particular way pretty much no matter what, so I won’t be turned off either way. :grin:

I like more choices. I also love it when the writer doesn’t lock clothes to gender. Aka female wear skirt…dude wear pants. Take wayhaven for exemple…clothes in that story have no impact…nobody notice it…but it add to the roleplay…same as choice of decoration…for your appartement. Not everything has to have a direct impact…but clothes and such…do add to immersion…

3 Likes

I’m fond of detailing the MC, and having the other characters comment on the details. It feels more… engaging? Not that your writing isn’t already engaging— it is, incredibly so.

But having characters comment on the personal details of the MC echoes people in real life, saying they like how you did your eyeliner, or those combat boots are really nice. So I like it when that kind of stuff pops up in games

10 Likes

^This. When people comment on it, it feels more real. I wouldn’t be mad either if certain styles increased relationship points with certain characters. That seems true to life, to me. No decreases, as I don’t see how style could make someone dislike you more by a statistically significant amount, and that would probably annoy people. As for whether the clothes should be more specific or more vague, I don’t mind either way!

I love flavor text so things like the clothes my MC wears of their choices of breakfast and NPCs noticing and commenting about those makes me happy. It may not affect the stats but it’s a nice thing to read.

2 Likes

I like flavour text that speaks to my choices, even the little fluff ones that seem like they don’t matter in the overall scheme of things - it makes my MC feel more fleshed-out as a character, and adds to the immersion of the story, like the relationships that I’m building are a little more organic if that makes sense.

3 Likes

So I can’t art, but the question inspired me to think about my MC’s aesthetic and fashion. So I’ve made some moodboards for my MC, Madeleine.

Hidden to Save Board Space

Madeleine is fairly classically feminine, and likes pencil skirts, florals, and blouses.

General aesthetic. Her nickname is Honey, because she’s very sweet, her hair is that color, and people aren’t that creative.

Overall mood that’s more fitting for the book and setting. Bonus smooch with Quinn in the corner there. :slight_smile:

Featuring UK model Helena McKelvie as the faceclaim.

Edit:

These are her stats are the end of the demo.

5 Likes

I love love love these so much! Madeleine looks lovely! (and I made sure to include a classic/tailored option in the game after seeing this!) That one with the overall mood is perfect for Little Porthecrawl!

And I’ll make sure Quinn reminds her how cute she is :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone for the feedback in regards to the MC/detailing choices. I’ve decided to definitely include them, though they might not be super specific so that you’re able to visualize things to your preferences. But they’ll lead to some comments from ROs and other characters where suitable!

I so appreciate everyone letting me know how you feel about things like this. Your feedback is really and truly invaluable.

As far as updates go, I’m excited to say that I’ve finished detailing the flowcharts and outlines for the last few chapters (on top of writing, of course). But I had to sit down and really chart out the paths and choices, which turned out to be a big poster board and color coded sticky notes. The writing is actually coming along more quickly as I get closer to the climax of the story. I hope you’re all as excited as I am!

19 Likes

OHHH STACY! You are killing meh hereeeeeeeeee! I was heading for bed…and see this…sweet sweet dreams I will have! Thank you SO MUCH! :hugs:

1 Like

I commissioned the lovely Sarah to draw Madeleine for me, and I’m super happy with how it turned out. <3

(She’s doing portrait commissions on sale right now if anyone is interested for this or any other reason.)

13 Likes

Stuck at home with snow and minor illness, so I decided to do some more fussing about with my MC, Madeleine.

Fake IG Page!

Hope your holidays are going well so far!

7 Likes

Wow. I cannot believe this WIP escaped my notice. I haven’t read the thread or even all the information displayed on the first post, so excuse me if I sound repetitive. But I really wanted to sing my praises.

I’ve enjoyed the demo immensely. The writing style immediately gripped me. There’s a unique way you use words - your prose is distinct but not in a way that takes me out of the story. Some sentences really stood out to me, especially the way you describe the environments around the conversations.

The leaves falling, the threat of rain. It really paints a picture of Little Porthecrawl. The heavy atmosphere is ever-present.

I think the timeline plot is not only extremely creative but also fun. I love that the MC, by being a part of this elite group bound by blood, can see what is best described as ghosts. Even if, technically, they’re not.

I like the dialogue choices you give us, even if, at times I would wish for a bit more context behind them. I remember when we are at the cafe and Staci asks if we are the newspaper person, I clicked on the “Yes…” choice and apparently that meant annoyed. I thought it would be timid or reserved.

Of all the characters we’ve met so far, my favorite has to be our aunt. I really like how her relationship with the MC is written.

I can’t wait to read more! Figure out what the plot is, what those three newcomers really search for, and just why exactly are ghosts falling to their death. :grinning:

26 Likes

I must confess I found this in the underrated COG thread. After playing the demo I do agree that this WIP should need more attention. I might be biased because I always hope for romance in these games lol

I do like the atmosphere and all the interactions between the MC and the ROs. (I can’t say anything for Asher yet because they haven’t really met lol)

11 Likes

So, from a cute OC meme going around the tumblr-sphere, I found this icon maker. I made a little Madeleine and Quinn with it. (AND all my other OCs don’t judge me!) Thought I’d drop the link here in case anyone else would like to make a cute MC and can’t draw like me. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

here mine, my MC at the coffee shop…LUMBERJACKHOTSHOTTOOCLOSEFORTHAWEAKHEART! :sweat_smile:

https://cdn.picrew.me/app/share/202001/137904_LpPNjZcr.png

4 Likes

Luckily my MC is more composed than I would be in that situation! I’d melt into a puddle if someone like Staci struck up a conversation with me pre-coffee! (Maybe post-coffee too, lbr.)

Your MC is super classy! <3

2 Likes

well the story is perfect for that kind of classic clothes, houses . I mean, I may not like the time periodes often due to injustice and such . But I’m a sucker for the clothes (and I mean the suit not the dress lol), the old houses…the vibes that come with it.

And the line between the past and the present is blurring as it is .

yeah me neither . Stacy may end up with the Latté on her for sure lol

3 Likes

Howdy all!

It’s been a minute since I updated here (I don’t check the forum thread like I should. Trying to be better about that :no_mouth:) But I’ve thoroughly enjoyed going back and reading the posts I missed! Thanks for all the kind words and excitement!! Folks from the Tumblr blog may already be aware of the following information, but there’s two important pieces of development info to share.

Anyway…I’m making good progress. I’ve hit the point in the story where routes start diverging more significantly and that has been such a boost for me, you have no idea. I wasn’t really braced for how draining it would be to write so many variations of the same chapter, so the first half of the story became an absolute slog.

The second half, or the chapters leading up to the climax, have been so. much. easier.

At a certain point (and reliant on the information you’ve uncovered and the relationships you cultivated), you’ll select one of the following routes (blurred for people who don’t want to know them ahead of time):

• Asher
    Talbot
    Staci
    Quinn
    Staci & Quinn
    Townie

By route, I don’t mean that it’s suddenly devolving into a gushy romance with the character in that route. This basically a way for me to more thoroughly explore different aspects of the mystery dependent on the character best suited to that aspect. It also means more variation.

So, for example, if you’ve selected route A, you’re going to encounter vastly different situations than if you’ve selected B. The routes are designed to give you greater insight into different parts of Little Porthcrawl’s mystery. A given route may have more discoveries in regards to the wards or the illness or morality, etc.

It’s my hope this approach will have a big (positive) impact on replay ability. Not all routes will be available to you on every playthrough. Where you place your attention and focus is what “gates” them.

As always, I’m absolutely endeavoring to make the platonic versions of these routes as fulfilling as the romantic ones. It’s even possible to pursue some of these routes with a rival flare to them, because I’m a sucker for making people who don’t like each other have similar goals and desires.

Outside of routes, I’ve gone through and retroactively (or…just more thoroughly?) implemented a butterfly effect. As more and more of the story has come together, it’s become easier (and lots of fun for me) to weave that in. This means “hidden variables” that aren’t on the stats pages and stat checks for characters who aren’t you, but who have been influenced by you.

It’s also probably going to piss some people off, but it seemed the logical way to grant the MC “power” in a head-above-water situation. Not having those implications spelled out might not be for everybody, but it’s the system that I’ve decided to go with now that enough of the story has materialized. And as I stated over on Tumblr, yeah, those implications can be life or death, even ROs. And if they’re dead, they’re not in Book Two.

P.S. I’m secretly super excited to write content for people who want to play Book Two with an MC pining over the RO they inadvertently murdered

:heart:

48 Likes