The Porthecrawl Witness - Entering Beta

Ok. 1st TALBOT FOR THE MOFO WIN :heart: he is my fav type of RO (with Quinn at a close 2nd). Not attached to Asher at all, as he hasnt spoken, its always more than just a look for me (no shade for those already attached?)… oh *I finally tried a Staci playthrough and the relationship stat is still bonked. (It was just blank by the 5th chapter after always choosing him and picking all of the cute or flirty options)

2nd. In the last scene when Quinn says something about “We weren’t the 1st ones who lied…” !!! My MC hasnt lied…Faye however, tried to get the MC to meet Quinn right away…and just happened to let the dudes in after hours a day or so later…i dunno. She seems sweet but that shit is Shaaaaaady. It’s always the nice ones, folks. I dont know what “it” is…but it seems like she is in on it. I think maybe SHE is the 1st one that lied. TO US. #ForShameFaye

2 Likes

Screw Solas-Asher! Staci-Ortega all the way! :sweat_smile:

@respite-and-nepenthe finally got around to do the whole demo in one run . Thanx btw for fixing the stuff! But I was too tired yesterday…

can you post stuff here too ? I’m allergic to social medias…:sweat_smile: they all have cooties!

I got a :sparkling_heart: for staci , definitly . Hell , Quinn is numero dos at this point . And miss-I’m-so-creepy-get-me-a-dig-in-a-Halloween-movie…yushhh…scary! and I’m a wuss! lol

they have a strange dynamic though . Not saying its bad , quiet the opposite . It’s new , its refreshingly new . They all have…wound…secret…good and bad , hidden beneat the skin . Make me wanna know Moaaaaaaaar…

Btw…probably been asked…but Fay isn’t a romance option right ? cose she is so sweet…:kissing_cat:

That’s what i thought too! But having someone else say it as well makes me extra worried :scream:

1 Like

Thank you!

I figured the cliffhanger was appropriate for the demo :smirk:

You’ll definitely be able to interact with your aunt and others in the town, depending on what approaches you want to pursue. I thought that it only made sense to keep those avenues open, given the MC’s background. It all depends on how you want to solve the mystery. Or who you want to solve it with.

Really, a lot of those actions won’t be intended as ‘oh, if you want to go chat with your aunt or someone else from the town, then you can’t do this thing with the ROs.’ Rather, it’ll be ‘here’s a chance for some more information and world building if you feel like doing it.’

3 Likes

Haha…half the time I don’t even know how to describe Talbot outside of ‘he/she is basically a raccoon.’ But Talbot does scratch that sort of rogue-ish archetype itch, I think!

Fixing Staci’s stat page is on the to do list today! Step one is to very carefully retype it in case it’s a number or symbol out of place. Hopefully it’ll be up and running this weekend. If not, I have failed miserably.

As for the trio, they definitely all have their own interpretations of the current shenanigans. If you asked, none of them could agree on who did what wrong. Fingers would be pointed in every direction.

5 Likes

Ha! That’s just good writing. :heart:

Talbot is a weird mix of cold, playful, mischievous and straight up malacious…which, now that I think about it, IS basically a raccoon.

Anyway I love him and this game. I thought Asher would be the most interesting but now I’m not so sure…

4 Likes

A bug here when I chose the second option - All bark and no bite.

Otherwise, intriguing premise! I’m looking forward to more.

Greetings, everyone!

The Bonus Content poll for the week has been posted at the top of the page!

Here is the link for the previous Bonus Content, Cards Against Humanity with Asher:
https://respite-and-nepenthe.tumblr.com/post/184934972045/bonus-content-cards-against-humanity-with-asher

Thank you to everyone who voted!

As far as progress goes, I’ve completed the 3/4s of chapter six. There’s a good bit of variation in it, as several variables come into play in how the scenes progress. Thankfully, I think I worked out most of the kinks in dealing with a large, branching chapter as I was writing chapter five. This one has progressed much more smoothly! The original outline called for thirteen chapters, however, the climax could end up extending to the 14-15 range. So we’re almost halfway there?

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

18 Likes

I just finished my first playthrough and I’m really really enjoying the game. So many romance games out there either feel like the romance has overwhelmed the plot or that the romance is tacked on as an afterthought. You’ve struck the perfect balance. I felt intrigued by the strange happenings of Porthecrawl and was invested in solving them while very much enjoying the company of my RO (Talbot in this playthrough btw). I even suspected him and his friends a few times. They are a shady bunch.

I look forward to more!

3 Likes

Thank you! That’s such important feedback for me! I’m really striving for a balance of content. And the ROs can be very shady (also…I’m thrilled that Tal’s getting some attention). Talbot, I think, comes across as the shadiest one. And is probably happy about it to be honest.

Anyway, thanks for reading! I’m happy you enjoyed it!

9 Likes

Talbot, I think, comes across as the shadiest one

And we love him for it!

6 Likes

Weekly Bonus Content is up! I’ll link it below. Both female and male versions are posted, so you can choose the Talbot of your preference.

Here’s a snippet:

“I even had a boss named Deborah and everything. Deborah was…she was…I had fun with Deborah. Pretty thing. Tragic hair. Her blouses always matched her cardigans, which, I was reminded every day, she knitted herself. ’ Oh, lovely sweater, Deb, prosaic beige, how nice.’ And then, 'Why, thank you, Ms. Rathmore, I was tired of the eggshell I’ve worn the last thirty-two days. Do you like my cat-themed blouse?’

She rests her head back against the couch with a scowl.

“She was a cu - ”

“Talbot!”

“She was a cutie. What did you think I was going to say?”

https://respite-and-nepenthe.tumblr.com/

June’s goal is to finish chapter 7 which is probably going to be the largest chapter yet, as it has several branching paths in both the first and second halves.

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekends!

17 Likes

I love this so much. Talbot is fun; he is shaddy but a good kind of shady (is there such a thing? I guess it is for Talbot)

4 Likes

Hey, guys!

The week’s bonus content poll has been posted at the top of the page. It closes Tuesday morning and the topic for the week involves drunken shenanigans at Little Porthecrawl’s crappiest watering hole.

Best to you all!

4 Likes

Torn between Quinn and Aunt Eleanor & Faye but in the end I picked the aunt as I wonder what sort of shenanigans she might do.

4 Likes

Ha! Yes, she and Faye would be a fun option. I think she could definitely get up to some serious stuff. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I can’t wait for this to come out. I love the concept. I really want to find more about Talbot. Great job.

3 Likes

This is weird in the exact way that I love! I am intrigued by all the characters and the underlying moral question too. No idea how I will proceed! That is in itself something I like about your work. Usually I immediately have a preferred RO/way to play. I think I shall replay the demo eight times now.

4 Likes

Thank you! Much more Talbot to come…

3 Likes