The People's House (WIP) (UPDATED: 2/19/24) - Presidential Sim

I don’t think I’ll focus on democratization in that Chapter too much, mainly because the U.S. has tried time and time again to promote democracy in nations to no avail. I will say that this may be a potential outcome if and when I include a war chapter/outcome.

This bug has been fixed, thanks for letting me know!

This I’m more unsure of. A huge point of the story is public service for your community (that is, after all, what working in government and in elected office is). I’m also not sure how I’d fully incorporate that without going so much deeper into the Prologue.

This could be something I could add later on in a flashback but I’ll have to think some more about it. Not to say that it absolutely won’t be included, but I likely wouldn’t go back for another large addition to the prologue until I have a lot more of the story finalized and am ready to go back for more edits.

9 Likes

I would say it’s pretty difficult to have a meaningful impact on your community if you love it exactly as it is.

3 Likes

I suppose that for this, before receiving advice, we receive a general report on the general state of employment in the country as well as the issue of the budget. And from then on we adopted measures that a Republican or a Democrat would adopt. Although the consequences of these, how would they be defined?

2 Likes

I totally understand. I figured it was a kind of hail mary to ask given it’s more shit to keep track of. At most I’d think to try and make it somewhat ambiguous, but I get keeping the simplicity.

3 Likes

I do not necessarily agree with the opinion that American democratic diplomacy has not been successful.
It may have failed in many places, but it has had some success in South Korea, the Philippines and Eastern Europe.(It wasn’t always done with good motives, and it didn’t magically solve all the problems, but it’s still a success.)

And even if America’s democratic diplomacy fails, it is having a major impact both domestically and internationally as governance becomes an increasingly major issue in international politics.

So there seems to be no reason to exclude democratic diplomacy from the game.

Also, I have another question. What are the diplomatic policies and goals of this game?

3 Likes

Got this error after selecting the ‘travel to Asia’ dialogue option.

1 Like

In both South Korea and the Philippines, the U.S. was able to implement democracy because either the U.S. was in total control or it was a post-war scenario. So while I wouldn’t want to completely exclude democratic diplomacy as you put it, it’d be something to happen later in the story as opposed to during your first trip abroad.

You’ll still be able to make the usual “spreading democracy everywhere” speeches, but policy-wise, it wouldn’t happen until later on.

To this point, I’m not entirely sure what you mean by goals? You will decide on diplomatic policy on your own, and I am planning to go pretty in-depth with your choices regarding it in Chapter 3.

This bug has been fixed! I apologize for all the bugs but, as I said, I didn’t have enough time as normal to fully go through Chapter 2. Thanks again!

9 Likes

But sometimes for them to have a radical change in just 8 years, a military occupation by the United States or Allies would be needed, as when Wodrow Wilson said that he would not negotiate peace with a Germany governed by the Kaiser and with it after a revolt and abdication of the third monarch of Germany is that the Weimar Republic was implanted in Germany before the arrival of the Furer.

In addition, more countries would denounce the so-called American hypocrisy of intervening nations in their internal affairs or wanting to spread defective government methods such as the institution of human rights. I say this last because of current cases, mainly related to the Salvadoran case, it is being a government that uses a state of exception to fight against gangs and incidentally restrict their human rights for these prisoners and even several people in Latin America, mainly in insecure areas They support this kind of notion of law enforcement even if Kamala Harris denounces this methodology.

3 Likes

This new and updated demo looks so awesome! I really appreciate that you took my suggestions for the variable child age and corresponding events into account (playing with the teenage children right now). I really felt like I could get into the game a lot more. While I would have liked my presidential dinner to have more choices (what if my President is a vegetarian, or would rather have steak?), it’s really not super important. Once again, I commend how much effort you put into the game!

Small bug, pictured below

I was playing as a woman President. It should say “mom” here.

2 Likes

This small bug has been fixed, glad you’ve enjoyed the updated demo!

3 Likes

Yeah it’s no problem bro, all of us have our own RL schedules that we need to focus on as well. So far, the start of chapter 2 is looking great, though I also got a question in regards to foreign diplomacy; Do you plan on implementing relationship bars or something similar to represent our actions/policies toward those respective regions in the future?

1 Like

1 Like

Glad to hear it will be implemented. What exactly is it going to be like?

1 Like

Yes, the government of El Salvador would claim so, and the crime rate may decrease on the official statistics.

But in my opinion, a security operation without democratic control will actually only result in more crime, corruption and violence.

The real threat is not gangs, but the lack of a monopoly on violence and the absence of democracy.

Numerous empirical studies have shown that strong policies, including zero-tolerance policies for crime in such countries, are counterproductive, resulting only in a deterioration of security and civilian casualties.

Of course I do not mean to affirm American interference in the internal affairs of foreign countries or claim that democracy is a universal prescription for all problems.

I would argue that they are not merely reasons to justify dictatorship and strong-arm politics.

But as a game, I think it might be interesting to deal with those claims.

6 Likes

Here’s a few suggestions:

State of the Union speech, with various dialogue choices for the player to choose what kind of speech they want to make.

Controversial content, like the player choosing a dialogue option or taking a course of action that would make the press and citizens question his motives and ask him to clarify what he means.

Attending events like CPAC (if you’re a Republican), rallies, etc and choosing how your speech is gonna be.

Scandals, like one of your cabinet members being accused of something heinous and you can choose to keep him or ask him to resign, which would affect your public opinion.

Since I mentioned controversial content above, maybe if you lose reelection and your approval rating is low (like 30% - 35%), you can tell your supporters to do a coup as a Golden Ending or something lol

7 Likes

Do you want to know another curiosity about this case? Nayib Bukele responded to Kamala Harris saying “If you care so much about them then we will hand them over to you” this is because the criminal crisis in this country is after its civil war in the 1980s as well as the massive deportation of Central American immigrants that they did illegal things there and that they only did it in their country of origin in a social environment fractured by a civil war.

In addition, many people even from high and low class backgrounds are more than willing to follow this same example to suppress criminals their human rights, due to so many disappearances and deaths (femicides, the war against drug trafficking, assaults on transport and people on the street).

I tell you that here the police have to quickly arrest a suspect before the mob lynches them (when a town had no problem mass murdering an immigrant accused of raping and kidnapping the town’s teenage girls or when a person who they was going to be robbed in her car she flees even if she runs over these thieves to death) People just feel that criminals and aggressors are protected more than the potential victims of them.

That is why the majority of the population of El Salvador supports these harsh measures because in the end the suppression of human rights is not for them but for others who feel they have been hurt a lot for a long time.

It does not mean that I support these measures but unfortunately the insecure environment of nations as it is or for other relatives of mine makes it difficult for many people to see a better solution for the long and short term.

3 Likes

As of right now, the only nation with a relationship bar is Russia as they’re continuously an option throughout the story and your choices impact what options will be available to them. For other nations, I might do the same or just keep track of your actions through variables. For example, as opposed to a relationship bar, options and dialogue are instead based on whether or not you were able to sign a treaty or who you picked as Secretary of State.

I won’t go exactly into how it’ll be implemented so I don’t spoil parts of the story, but it would be through options and depend on previous choices you’ve made in relation to that country. Those choices would depend on how successful the democratization effort was.

Thanks for these suggestions! A lot of these actually I’ve already started to write. You will give your first State of the Union address in Chapter 2 (and there might just be a scandal coming too). As for the ability to speak at CPAC or other organizations, this will be in Chapter 4 (your re-election chapter).

As for losing re-election, that will absolutely be a possibility. There will be a number of different Epilogue endings, and a failed re-election will definitely be one of them.

1 Like

Wow, I think you’ve found your niche! You can just keep making political games about other countries in the future :joy:

1 Like

Not even halfway done with the People’s House and I’m already thinking about my next game haha. Should I tackle a game just on Congress? The Supreme Court? Try the White House again but as a Cabinet Secretary or a game just focused on the Vice Presidency? Create another game in a Parliamentary system or a completely fictional country?

I’ve had so many ideas for what I want to do after the People’s House so it’s great to see that there’s a fairly large amount of people that are interested in this niche genre of political fiction.

14 Likes

That would be interesting. What would be the conflict in that stories?

1 Like