The People's House (WIP) (UPDATED: 2/19/24) - Presidential Sim

Ah yes, just like my uncle, here you can see him and his three girlfriends in a committed polyamorous relationship. He was very politically affluent, and met multiple presidents. He was a busy business man, but if were alive today, he probably would like the story. Unfortunately, on August 10th, 2019, he unfortunately committed suicide. :pray: It was difficult news for us all to accept. Luckily, foul play was ruled out.

7 Likes

Great work. I’ve really enjoyed what you’ve done so far.

5 Likes

Would that also influence the way we work with our cabinet? I mean, if it happens that there is friction within the administration and in extreme cases that leads to a cabinet member resigning and people saying why? and launch speculation that damages the reputation of our administration with the people, corporations and the media

5 Likes

Yes, there is a variable for your relationship with your Cabinet. As of right now, that’s just in one bulk stat “Cabinet,” and I’m not sure whether or not to split it up by cabinet member. It’d make things much more complicated otherwise. I’d need to write and code in 4+ relationships with multiple different events depending on your relationship, requiring me to probably write about 12 or so different events for every instance (three for each of the four choosable cabinet members).

For now, at least, I think I’ll keep it as one combined Cabinet stat that goes up or down depending on how often you ignore their advice, etc, though I might update this in the future so I can account for different Cabinet members disagreeing. Let me know your thoughts!

6 Likes

Okay last time i played i didn’t remember it having a saving system. Also with the next update, will i be able to choose the MC age or does picking the children’s age determine the MC age?

1 Like

I have no problem if that is not added but if you want to take it into account I am glad to know that my comments leave good contributions for your project :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

If I could give a few suggestions, a game over by losing reelection would be a bad idea. I think it would be worth the effort if the player lost the election, they would play as the opposition, but it would be by narration just to pass time until it’s time to campaign for election again.

If they lost again, they would have a downer ending of being a bad president and finishing his political career in Congress without accomplishing anything noteworthy.

I think a better idea would be a game over by impeachment, and it would have multiple outcomes depending on the relationship between the player and Congress. If the player has a good relationship with Congress, it would be easier to convince them to acquit you.

I think this suggestions are more for the latter part of the game, but let me know what you think.

3 Likes

Maybe hidden variables for each named cabinet member’s relationship with you (ex. hate, dislike, tolerate, like, adore; represented by a 0-100 scale), with a visible relationship bar that shows the average sentiment in the cabinet toward you, would work. Less cluttered stat screen and all relationships accounted for!

4 Likes

Haven’t even started it yet and I like the LBJ quote

3 Likes

You will be able to change the age of your children in the next update

To respond to this, there would be a number of different game endings, not just one. As of right now they include re-election, failing to win re-election (you’d have the opportunity to run again in 4 years), impeachment, and then other endings that I won’t reveal to avoid spoilers.

5 Likes

Ok finished playing through and it seems like a solid start for a good story. There were some narrative issues just with dialogue and my VPs pronoun always being they which I assume was just to save a lot of code until the story is actually complete. I also kind of wish the first chapter was picking up from the election campaign. However I like the premise and the majority of the execution and I look forward to reading it completely.

4 Likes

That’s awesome!

Also, I’d love to see interactions with the media, not too often, but they could be used to increase relationships with Congress and to deny rumors and hit pieces by the media.

In terms of foreign policy, the ability to attend summits and meetings with other world leaders would be great.

4 Likes

“Mr. President, Mr. President! Jill from the Tribune, here. Is it true that you played flag football in the White House backyard with your cabinet members using the emergency nuclear launch button?”

6 Likes

Really love the demo so far!! I’m glad the intro brought us through how we got to presidency too😊

2 Likes

It would be great if you could add a stat called Ideology and it would update every time we sign a piece of legislation, among other things, so that we could look at it and see our ideology displayed.

I was thinking about a political compass chart or graph, but that would probably be weird in a text-based game lol

2 Likes

A fun history and breakdown of the political compass.

2 Likes

A political compass would be great similar to the one you get at the end of Suzerain.

3 Likes

Hi all!

Apologies for not being on much in the past few days. I was suffering from some writer’s block and my one-day break quickly turned into almost a week-long one! Nonetheless, I am back now and am continuing to work on The People’s House.

I’m almost finished with my rewrite of the Prologue and Chapter 1, and I am happy to announce that an updated demo will be released this weekend! Of course, I’ll also have a Writer’s Diary released this weekend as well.

This would be something I can definitely add in the future!

I agree this would be a really cool feature but I’m honestly not sure if that sort of thing is possible with ChoiceScript? If anyone knows please let me know, I’d be happy to try implementing it!

12 Likes

I think you could use something similar to Sword of Rhivenia format with 50/50 opposite stats. Like good/evil or corrupt/righteous to see where we are morally leaning on the the spectrum or something?

6 Likes

I don’t know how to visually add it, but in theory it should be easy to do narratively with two opposed ideology sliders.

6 Likes