The People's House (WIP) (UPDATED: 2/19/24) - Presidential Sim

Receiving bribes, exchanging favors, Lying, withholding information, or frightening or reprimanding the internal enemy (opposition). That kind of corruption. (at least by US standard since I live in Mexico)

2 Likes

My take on political bribes remains what it has always been on bribes of any kind: take the money and do what you were going to do anyway, regardless of what the bribe was for.

I’m going to need more details on these favours before I make a call on them.

To whom and about what?

What information and from whom?

Do you mean sending some fine fellows with baseball bats saying “nice legs you got there, be a shame if something happened to them.” Don’t do it. Do you mean “I got the trifecta, so I couldn’t give less of a fuck what Republicans want, and also I’m declaring the attack on legal abortion a national health crisis so I’m appropriating money and it’s all coming from the budget of the states doing it”? Yes, twice a week with an extra time every weekend.

1 Like

Well, if we can be corrupt, we can demand something other than money (as I said before, it’s a favor). Let’s say, for example, that if you are a president who is involved in the debate on the regulation of mothers, these companies ask you to do this to your scope to avoid regulation and one thing we could ask them to do would be to lower their prices when we choose to take government deals with them in the event of a war. Reduce economic and military costs thanks to the fact that these arms companies owe us the favor.

I do not know. Ah yes, I already remember bombings of civilians in Afghanistan, human rights violations in other nations, covert operations of Operation Condor or scandals like Iran-Contra in the 80s. Disassociate ourselves from those things so that our person or administration is not so harmed. As well as raising scapegoats within a political witch hunt. Like the CIA after the failure of some wars.

Well, the repression doesn’t have to be systematic, but of your clandestine contacts, as the corrupt mayors of Chicago or New York did with the mobsters or in New Orleans with clandestine associations like the KKK.

That was at the time of alcohol prohibition and in a similar way, the proliferation of criminal and organized violence began in Mexico and Colombia in the 1960s, when previously anti-communist paramilitary groups were sponsored and then they moved into the criminal sector.

Escobar and Al Capone did it in their days when their double life was a secret until their dirty dealings were exposed in Colombia and the United States in their respective times.

1 Like

(did you mean regulation of weapons there? I’m not sure what regulation of mothers has to do with arms companies)

This is a bad deal. First, you’re giving up money now so you can MAYBE save money in the future, which is always not a particularly good starting hand. Second, you’re banking on these people actually holding up their end of the bargain, and not, say, tell you the price is the same due to inflation or rising cost of materials or higher demand or whatever, whether those things are true or not. Third, arms companies are a dime a dozen and they’re all competing for your contracts; you’ve got your pick of the lot, provided EXACTLY that you’re not interested in boosting a particular company’s bottom line. Fourth, the US military already has all the weaponry it wants - at one point congress (or the senate? I forget) wanted to give them like a bajillion dollars to get new tanks, and the military went “we already more tanks than we know what to do with, thanks.” (they still got the money, because heavens forbid the political critters didn’t boost the bank accounts of their buddies in the arms industry)

First, as you point out, this never works. Electronically-stored information is the unsafest thing in existence. Second, it doesn’t matter, because Americans literally do not give a fuck about you doing whatever you want to foreigners, no matter how bad it is. Hells, as every mass shooting in the US proves, they don’t even give a fuck about you doing whatever you want to Americans, provided they’re OTHER Americans. In fact, being in a war actually INCREASES your chances of getting re-elected.

As I said, don’t send in man with bats.

1 Like

If you don’t fail miserably in your mandate or public opinion gets over the excitement of fighting and gets tired of having so many deaths and few victories. (Like Vietnam cof cof Afganistan cof cof)

But at the end of the day, corruption is something shady without limits where something originally established can go terribly wrong. Another example of censorship would be spreading another scandalous news as a metaphorical smoke screen so that the news that you want to cover up is only seen by smug intellectual hipsters (minorities of the population that no one usually listens to)

In short, I do not want to prolong this debate more than necessary. Not to disturb other followers of this thread.

2 Likes

Also the US Navy and Coast guard have more ships than they can crew and thus operate already too.

It’s mostly white collar these days…though having your supporters march peacefully, if you can get them to do so, is almost never a bad idea either.

2 Likes

As a politics wonk, this realistic WIP is a dream come true and I look forward to future updates and releases. Is it too late to apply as a bug tester?

2 Likes

I’m so happy to hear you’ve enjoyed the WIP so far. As for beta testers, I really don’t currently need more than the two I have since ChoiceScript does have a lot of built-in tools to help with beta testing.

With that being said, I’d be happy to bring on more people that are active and helpful on this thread to get more updated demos. So if you have any suggestions on the demo so far, feel free to post them here!

6 Likes

Could you please update the Demo word count in Post 1? It still says 20k and the demo is now 3* that.

2 Likes

I unfortunately don’t have the ability to edit that old post or the title of the thread.

1 Like

Ask the mods to turn the first post into a wiki, that has helped some wip authors out before.
Just ask @Gower or @Eiwynn

1 Like

PM sent; initial post converted.

4 Likes

Will MC get anything to do with classification files as first introduced in the game and just like in World War or Cold War government prioritise a different technology which were consider crucial at the time like nuclear and space base weapon system or counter measure. MC in case of heighten hostility with other nation can try to make it’s own classified military weapons program.

MC can authorise special forces operating in different scenarios to gather Intel, support rebellion, help a friendly regime etc.

classification information can be about other nations capacity or there secrets which American manager to get somehow not just weapon development and can be use as a power move by American especially in authoration government as they hate to have there secrets reviled to the world or to persuade others in the enemy country is up-to no good and can be a threat to even them.

3 Likes

Why is there two links of demo posted? And also is the game updated i didn’t notice. Lol

4 Likes

You will get various classified files throughout the demo but as for establishing your own classified weapons program, I’d need to do some thinking. I like the idea but I’m not entirely sure what this secret weapon would be – humanity has already come up with so many ways of destroying itself!

Where is the second demo link?

As for this portion of your comment, no. The demo will only be updated monthly, my weekly Writer’s Diaries are just recaps of the things I’ve been working on each week.

2 Likes

Shrink rays finally realized! Haha!

2 Likes

The “people’s house demo” (in the OP) is also a link to the demo.

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s just me, but when I’m trying to load a save, it loads indefinitely without success. Is anyone else having this problem?

1 Like

Writer’s Diary #5
June 18th, 2022

Welcome one and all to the 5th Writer’s Diary for The People’s House! New here? Check out my first post for some general info and to play the demo!

The Updates

• This week has been far more technical in terms of updates than most others, I have to say an incredible thank-you to the kind people on the forums and my own bug testers for helping me fix up several lines of code that were creating issues
  • I’ve also decided to implement chapter headers! This isn’t a huge priority of mine, but I have started throwing together some ideas. I’m not an artist, so your suggestions are as always appreciated!
  • To segue into the next paragraph, I’ve decided to start up a Patreon! More info below:

New Patreon
I have finally decided to put the time into creating a Patreon, which for those who may not know, is a platform that allows you to donate to a number of creators and artists in exchange for exclusive content. While I was hesitant to even think about starting up a Patreon, after the week I’ve had, I think it’s time! As I expect to be hitting 100k words for The People’s House by next month, this is quickly becoming more than just a little side-project.

As of right now, there are three tiers of support, all the prices are the ones recommended by Patreon, though I may adjust them as time goes on. The lowest amount of monthly support is $5 and that gives you weekly updates, and the most updated demo (which is at 60,000) words, almost double the one that’s public! Because of that, I will be cutting back these Writer’s Diaries to once every other week, with Patrons getting them each week.

An important disclaimer: I want to stress, before you consider donating, that I do not need Patreon support to live! I work a full-time job and work two jobs throughout the semester. What your support allows me is the ability to lower the hours I work each week. While I don’t plan on quitting my day job, it’s my hope that I’ll be able to get enough support to take a day or two off each week to dedicate 100% of my time to writing.

Now, with that being said, if you’re still interested, I urge you to take a look at the different tiers I have set up! This is my first time ever setting up a Patreon so feel free to send me your suggestions for different benefits and that sort of thing.

Patreon Link: RFKramer is creating The People's House | Patreon

Other Links
First Post
Writer’s Diary #1
Writer’s Diary #2
Writer’s Diary #3
Writer’s Diary #4

20 Likes

I ended up with quite hilarious situation

Name: James Williams
Home Region: Midwest
Home State: Michigan
Party: Republican Party
Wealth: $25000
Spouse: Isabelle Williams

Vice President Williams: 46%

And VP is from Pensylvania shame there is no comment about this edge case :smiley:

1 Like