The Paths to Greatness (Discussion) - OUT NOW!

If you have questions, concerns, or bugs to report, please let me know here!

Welcome to Primeo! I’ll be honest, it isn’t the best place to grow up. There is no technology more advanced than Mr. Smith’s two-paddle kayak and no one has a worldview bigger than their own backyard. It is about time someone brought change. Is this change good or bad? Will you join it or resist? The choice is yours. Find love, fight for your ideals, and change Primeo for better or for worse.

FAQ/Lore details/things I'm anticipating will be FAQs

Who is romancable?
From post 60: Non’Caesura and Sulo are bi, Ser Aurum is asexual but doesn’t care about the gender of her love interest, Wiley is aromantic (he’s more of a platonic/civil partners kind of guy, but the gender of his partner doesn’t matter), Fabricia is heterosexual, and Emperor Maganat barely thinks about romance (but maybe he would if someone like, oh I don’t know, the MC caught his eye (; ).

Where/what is Primeo, exactly?
It’s a huge island in a world much like our own. When I say “like our own”, I mean spatially, though. Like, whatever planet it is on has a sun and a moon and trees and animals pretty much the same as Earth. I would say their technological level is somewhere on par with late Medieval times. They don’t have guns or helicopters, but their armor and weaponry is top-notch for being made out of wood and stuff.

What’s with the “Month Six” and “Month Seven” things?
From post 66: There are twelve months with thirty days in each month. The first month is called “Month One”, the second month is called “Month Two”, etc. These correspond to the Gregorian calendar, except there are five days missing. At the end of the year, there is a festival five days long that doesn’t count as part of the normal calendar year.

Why does it take you so long to update when you are only doing a tenth of a chapter at once?
I get busy with life, mostly. Because of the player choice aspects that I have chosen to incorporate, also, I essentially need to write four different versions of those tenth-of-a-chapters. I generalize when I am able, but my characters really have such varying personalities that it would be weird for them to suddenly talk and act the same, even if it meant that I could write much faster.

From post 81: So yeah, maybe my tldr is: Make me care about some of these characters and/or make me believe we truly are “greater” than our peers.
This was written before the end of chapter one, but I feel like I should address it for anyone that might feel the same way. If you’re looking for a quick read when this is finished, look elsewhere. We’re not even done with Amerdale’s lands, yet, and I have a whole lot more planned to through at our protagonist before we see what path they truly walk. (;

How do I romance character X?
In general, by being nice to them and behaving in ways that are generally agreeable to their character. More specifically, this means being kind and flexible to Sulo, decisive and strong to Archidamia and the Emperor, and acting in your best interests to Non’Caesura, Fabricia, and Wiley.

How do I unlock backstory X in the stats menu?
The parallel stories or histories will be unlocked either after you have reached a certain affinity level with a character or after a certain point has been reached in your story.

As always, a huge thanks to everyone who has read this! These last four years have been quite a journey, but I’m glad that you’ve walked beside me on this path. (:

GUIDES

The Athleticism/Ser Archidamia Aurum (Asexual Woman) Romance Path
  • In the introduction, when allocating your stats, choose: “I won every race with the neighborhood children.”
  • In chapter 1, whenever possible, think/dream/spend time with Ser Aurum, your mentor.
  • During the first duel in chapter 1 against Non’Caesura, do not hold back.
  • In chapter 1, when reflecting on how you feel, choose that you love it there.
  • Let the Emperor deal with the remaining villagers.
  • If you have the option, ask her about her homeland and sisters on the boat.
  • Say that you are ready during chapter 2.
  • Choose the option to stop Amerdale that maximizes your chances of victory.
  • Think that getting back into the fight will take your mind off of killing someone.
  • Fight alongside Archidamia and her sisters to capture the Masons.
  • Have Amerdale make a sword out of their masks.
  • When Maganat asks, say that your mentor was invaluable to your success.
  • End the tourney fight versus He quickly and decisively.
  • During the ball, do not sabotage the Emperor’s plan. Later, at dinner, choose that you want the pastries or that traitors deserve nothing.
  • When prompted, ask her to dance.
  • Do not choose any of the three or so “we should just be friends” options. Saying you are only interested in sex will end the relationship, as well.
The Brainpower/Wiley Capello (Aromantic Man) Romance Path
  • In the introduction, choose: “No one could play a trick on me.”
  • In chapter 1, whenever possible, think about/dream of/spend time with your mentor.
  • Choose that you should take the villagers back.
  • Work alongside Wiley to capture the Masons.
  • Choose to keep their masks as they are or have a pen made from them.
  • Choose that you do not want to hurt He in the tourney.
  • When prompted, choose to dance with your mentor.
  • Do not choose any of the three or so “we should just be friends” options. Saying you cannot be in an aromantic couple will end the relationship, as well.
The Charisma/Sulo Afolayan (Bisexual Man) Romance Path
  • In the introduction, choose: “Everyone said that I was the most charming child in town.”
  • In chapter 1, whenever possible, think about/dream of/spend time with your mentor.
  • Choose the third option as the lie.
  • Work with Sulo to capture the Masons.
  • Choose to keep their masks as they are.
  • Cheer loudly during the tourney.
  • During the ball, do not sabotage the Emperor’s plan. Later, at dinner, choose that you want the pastries or that traitors deserve nothing.
  • When prompted, ask him to dance.
  • Do not choose any of the three or so “we should just be friends” options.
The Skill/Fabricia Lefebvre (Bisexual Woman) Romance Path
  • In the introduction, choose: “I was often called upon to do odd jobs because of my handiness.”
  • Work with Fabricia to capture the Masons.
  • Choose “surprise me” or have a baton made out of their masks.
  • End the tourney fight versus He quickly and decisively.
  • When prompted, ask her to dance.
The Emperor (Heterosexual Man) Romance Path
  • The Emperor can be romanced on any attribute path as long as the player character is a woman.
  • Whenever possible, think about/dream of the Emperor.
  • Also in chapter 1, choose: “I began to think that I could see myself here, in service to Maganat.”
  • Choose: ““Someone I’ve dreamt of… a man I admire,” I answer.” during the first meeting with the Swollen King.
  • Figure that you will complete his orders because you wish to serve.
  • Say that “it would be a fine way to show my appreciation” when he asks.
  • Try and take down the Masons by yourself.
  • Say that you did everything only for him when he asks.
  • Say that you don’t want to fight him while blushing during the tourney.
  • Do not sabotage his plans at the ball.
  • Ask him to dance when prompted.
  • Agree to eventually have children.
The Non'Caesura (Bisexual Man) Romance Path
  • Non’Caesura can be romanced on any attribute path.
  • When you first meet him, choose: ““Good to see you, too. And yeah, I’m pretty sure the same thing happened to me,” I say, not entirely understanding what he is talking about.”
  • Whenever possible, think/dream/spend time with him.
  • Take the berries when he offers them.
  • If on the athleticism path, do not fight as well as you are able during the duel in chapter 1.
  • On the boat, as how he is.
  • In Lustre’s lands, whenever he talks about how barbarous they are, agree with him.
  • Choose the option to stop Amerdale that has you refuse to waste human life pointlessly.
  • Fight alongside Non’Caesura to capture the Masons.
  • Comfort him when he runs off in the Keep.
  • Say that he was invaluable to your success when the Emperor asks.
  • Choose that you don’t want to hurt He during the first round of the tourney.
  • Do not hold back when you are fighting Non’Caesura in the tourney.
  • Say that the party is too wild for you after the tourney.
  • When prompted, ask him to dance.
The "I hate everyone, and everyone hates me" Path
  • This can be done regardless of a player’s main attribute or gender.
  • Say nothing to Non’Caesura when you first meet.
  • Ask if Non’Caesura is trying to poison you when he offers you the berries.
  • Choose: “I feel like this place will be terrible! I don’t like anything about this.”
  • When reflecting, choose that you only began to loathe it more.
  • Say that the Emperor is a poor leader when he asks you who he is.
  • After receiving your first task, choose: “Threats given by a tyrant and a bully do not phase me. I will go only because I have no choice.”
  • When he asks why you brought the villagers to him, respond with: ““Why do you even care? I didn’t do it out of any love for your empire, if that’s what you’re asking,” I say bitterly.”
  • If Non’Caesura asks you about the cruelty of Lustre’s people, disagree with your fellow apprentice and say that you have no problem with it.
  • Do your best to make it look like you’re trying when confronting the Masons.
  • Decline to have anything made from the Mason’s masks.
  • Mock or otherwise care more about ham than Non’Caesura when he is sulking during the Lustre victory party.
  • When talking to Maganat after Lustre Keep, choose: ““Yeah, you’re missing the part where I did none of that for your sh**ty empire.”” and/or ““Yeah, you’re missing the part where I did none of that for you.””
  • Actively try to sabotage your training whenever possible.
  • When fighting Non’Caesura in the tourney, choose: “I’m going to knock that smug little grin of his into next week!”
  • While you are talking to the Emperor in the tourney, first choose ““You can barely walk! How are you going to fight me?” I question.” and then ““I’m going to enjoy kicking your crippled a**,” I say.”
  • Tell Non’Caesura: ““Don’t let me stop you from being a killjoy. I’m staying,” I reply.”
  • During the ball, when the Emperor is telling you his plans, say: ““Why would you tell me this? We aren’t exactly best friends,” I question.”
  • Walk away from or be terrible at all of the investigative options.
  • Curtly say “Nope!”
  • Act suspicious of those around you during dinner.
  • Do not dance with anyone (you shouldn’t have any options to, anyway).
  • Ask if Non’Caesura ever shuts up.
  • Choose whichever ending you are aiming for that nets you the best revenge.
110 Likes

That is a pretty darn good story you’ve got there. Love it so far.

2 Likes

The setting of the game seems refreshingly different, and the writing makes it easy to follow. I can see the game going in so many different ways. I am also interested in the background of the kidnappers, because they seem to attempting to systematically kill the leaders in the area. (Have they done this entire dance in other areas as well?)

But, I noticed that the game appears to loop back to the start during the conversation with the man. There is also an error immediately after the gender selection in the second loop through. The error message mentioned something about no lines being present after the else statement in Chapter 1 Line 183.

4 Likes

Yep! If you ask Non’Caesura about it, he will tell you that he was taken (presumably from his estate).

Thank you for the compliments! I don’t know how to stop the looping, but I am thinking that I will have to compile the files again and re-upload it to dropbox after the next significant update. That should fix it. Until then, just figure that the game ends when the loop occurs.

Sounds Coolio
(+7 characters)

1 Like

Interesting so far, like the writing style. :thumbsup:

Experienced the same error as Observer, but since it has been mention already I shall not do so. Oh, wait, oops. :blush:

I enjoyed it. The setting and characters were interesting, the writing was understandable and engaging.

I’m curious though, is there a particular reason for dividing the stats into the three subcategories, instead of all on one page?

Yep! The current number of relationship and faction status bars are only placeholders. The story takes a different turn depending on what you chose as your main stat, and some characters are exclusively featured in certain storylines. For example, if you chose charisma, you will meet character X. But if on a different play-through you chose athleticism, you will not encounter character X but instead character Y. There are too many possibilities; the status screen would look crowded if I included everyone.

Clever! That’s actually really interesting. Can’t wait to see where this project goes.

Is it supposed to loop? I get to 1 or 2 pages after I take the strangers hand in the carriage and it just loops back to the start.

Here’s a small update. It lets you know a little more about what you are getting in to. ; )

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/fr8vg8p69wvqdja/Greatnessv2.html?dl=0

Also, I came up with a name! I’m curious about everyone’s opinion on it.

I just stumbled upon this one and I must say, it’s really, really good! I love the idea so far and I will admit, I’m a sucker for fishing village starting grounds. I hope you luck for more updates and will give any help my silly self can give! Excellent work!

I like it. It still loops to the beginning though after giving the man at the house your name.

Yeah, I’m still not sure how to fix this. In the game, it will end with you dying, but for now just ignore the looping.

Thank you so much! It means a lot! I was originally going to have the MC choose to be from a farm or fishing village, but I scrapped the idea because the whole “from humble beginnings” trope could be accomplished with either origin and there wasn’t any real reason to have two.

I have another update! This time the MC meets who kidnapped them and the man that they work for!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/1xch4bhqe6ja66d/Greatnessv3.html?dl=0

I tried to fix the looping glitch, but let me know if it still happens. As always, constructive criticism is welcome and encouraged. : )

Really liking the story so far :smiley:
The loop is still going for me, by the way.

I’m glad you like it! And darn, I thought I had gotten rid of the loop… I guess I’ll have to try something different…

Do you happen to remember how long it took you to complete? I just want to get a rough idea of how long the first few updates are.

About 20min. I really liked that the paragraphs were small instead of giant blocks of texts, made the reading more enjoyable. (At least for me lol)

This is good so far! A bit of heavy info dumping, but nonetheless the writing is solid.

I did come across one error. chapter 1, line 511, bad label ‘captured’

Thank you!

Thank you! I wanted to mimic the confusion that the MC would feel in the narrative style. I guess it worked.

Fixed!

1 Like