The Paths to Greatness (Discussion) - OUT NOW!

Will there be a choice to desert cause you know being forced to fight for people you don’t like.

2 Likes

I collapsed all my responses so it didn’t clutter up the thread.

Summary

Haha! Yeah, I try to have each tenth of a chapter have at least ten to fifteen minutes of content.

The latter.

Yes; definitely closer in size to Australia than a Hawaiian island.

Thank you! Sometimes I just can’t resist writing a joke or two into the narrative when I think of a good one.

Thank you very much!

I try to make it seem like a living world at least, lol.

This is something that will appear in chapter three or four. Chapter two in Amerdale’s lands is meant to be a sort of focus on the athleticism mentor, Archidamia, because Ser Lustre is her father. In chapter three or four (I haven’t decided the order yet lol), the player character participates in the Yearsend celebration (basically a five day part of the calendar that they set aside to party hardy before the new year arrives). Part of these festivities are a tournament and a ball/dance thing. One of those is going to be Sulo’s time to shine because he loves meeting people.

(;

Yeah that’s a mistake in the coding. I placed the *label above that line when I should have placed it below. I’ll fix that. Thank you for bringing it to my attention!

I’m glad! And because the charisma path is so different to the others when we are with Amerdale (you don’t assault Spire Keep directly), it has more talking to the Masons and we’ll learn a bit more about them than we would if you took other paths. Nothing major, but a little more context.

Maybe eventually. (;
But for now, it’s more like the player has no real choice. I have always included the option to screw up/not do what they want you to do, but if I made these choices too extreme then the others would definitely kill you and that wouldn’t be a very fun game. At its core, this is a game about characters and their relationship with the main character, so the reputation stat is more about judging how they react to your actions with more nuance. For example, you don’t have every option available to you with Emperor Maganat if you are not in favorable standing with his Empire, just as the way Non’Caesura and your mentor treat you is different depending on your relationship with them.

NEWEST UPDATE: MARCH 31ST, 2018

THIS UPDATE INCLUDES:

• The conclusion of chapter 2.5 for ONLY THE ATHLETICISM, BRAINPOWER, AND SKILL PATHS.
  • Grammar fixes.
  • General performance improvements/bug fixes.
  • Fixed more continuity errors.

Link: https://dashingdon.com/play/writingfever/the-paths-to-greatness/mygame/the-paths-to-greatness_compiled.html

As always, a huge thanks to everyone who has read this! Don’t hesitate to reply with bugs, suggestions, or constructive criticism! (:

2 Likes

NEWEST UPDATE: APRIL 29TH, 2018

THIS UPDATE INCLUDES:

• The conclusion of chapter 2.5 for ALL paths.
  • Grammar fixes.
  • There was a weird bug where a dialogue option in the charisma path would loop the game endlessly, so I got rid of that.

Link: https://dashingdon.com/play/writingfever/the-paths-to-greatness/mygame/the-paths-to-greatness_compiled.html

As always, a huge thanks to everyone who has read this! Don’t hesitate to reply with bugs, suggestions, or constructive criticism! (:

EDIT: I also wanted to apologize for this taking so long. I had a really difficult time trying to figure out how the MC would use their charisma skill to basically talk-down the Masons.

3 Likes

I’m sorry to hear you’re having so much trouble with the charisma path :yum:! However, I enjoy how we handled getting through, that was a funny little scene courtesy of Sulo. Looking forward to seeing how it continues!

Just some spelling mistakes I noticed:

I think this should be “senses”.

I don’t think you can say “place proper” or at least it sounds very weird to me. “Place” just isn’t specific enough to have a “proper” version of it. I think it needs to be “village proper” or something.

1 Like

NEWEST UPDATE: MAY 22ND, 2018

THIS UPDATE INCLUDES:

• The conclusion of chapter 2.6 for ALL paths.
  • Grammar fixes.
  • Fixed the two spelling mistakes that Revache pointed-out in this thread.
  • I haven’t been able to fix a weird bug that won’t show the newest chapters on mobile platforms, so if possible please read on a desktop.

5 Likes

So the demo on that link stops at the start of 2.5:
Capture

1 Like

too much text :expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless:

I think I fixed it – let me know if you still can’t read chapter 2.6. For whatever reason the demo sometimes takes a while to add-in new scenes from dashingdon.

Well, you’re certainly in the wrong place if you are looking for a visual experience. Reading generally requires words, and words generally require text, you understand, so there’s not much I can do about that, as much as I may like to.

Did you actually have anything to say or did you just want to express your apathy?

5 Likes

As of right now, still stops at the same place for me.

1 Like

May I ask if you are using a desktop or mobile device? In the past, there have been issues where it worked for one platform but not for the other. This doesn’t appear to be the case now, however, because I have tested it on both platforms and I am hitting the same wall that you are. I also tried to use a compiled version, but the problem remains.

So, in order to share chapter 2.6 and 2.5, I am going to resort to something I did a few months ago during the last time this didn’t sort itself out. I hate making people do this just to read new content, but I don’t have any other fixes. ):

Go to https://choicescriptide.github.io/legacy/ide/main.html and…

Copy this into startup and replace athlete with brainiac/charmer/skilled

*set female true
*set lastname “Bates”
*set gender “Woman”
*set name “Fate”
*set age “18”
*set athlete true
*set athleticism +30
*set brainpower +10
*set charisma +5
*set skill +5
*set attaccabottoni_rep +18
*set empire_rep 60
*set emperor_rep +13
*set mentor_rep +13

Copy this into scenes (pastebin link because normal copy-and-paste exceeded character limit)

https://pastebin.com/ScM4MEG5

Sorry again! ):

1 Like

I was using my desktop. I even went and cleared my cache and went into an incognito window.

1 Like

I just wanted to report that it was working last night on my mobile device if you hadn’t already used CSIDE and still felt like playing the newest chapters. (:

NEWEST UPDATE: JUNE 5TH, 2018

THIS UPDATE INCLUDES:

• The conclusion of chapter 2.7 for ALL paths.
  • Grammar fixes.
  • Fixed a lot of continuity errors, especially for the charisma path.
  • Updated the quick-start option to begin at chapter 2.7.

7 Likes

Love the update l. Looking forward to the next.

1 Like

NEWEST UPDATE: JUNE 15TH, 2018

THIS UPDATE INCLUDES:

• The conclusion of chapters 2.8 AND 2.9.
  • Grammar fixes.
  • Fixed a lot of continuity errors, especially for the charisma path.
  • Fixed a bug that took you to the charisma path instead of the skill path during chapter 2.3.

Link: https://dashingdon.com/play/writingfever/the-paths-to-greatness/mygame/index.php?cb=98298

4 Likes

It just keeps getting better. Looking forward to the tourny. Keep up the good writing.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the kind words! I’m looking forward to the tourney, as well. (;

NEWEST UPDATE: JUNE 21ST, 2018

THIS UPDATE INCLUDES:

• The conclusion of chapter 3.1.
  • Grammar fixes.

Link: https://dashingdon.com/play/writingfever/the-paths-to-greatness/mygame/index.php?cb=98298

2 Likes

NEWEST UPDATE: JUNE 28TH, 2018

THIS UPDATE INCLUDES:

• The conclusion of chapter 3.2.
  • Grammar fixes.
  • I wrote a different introduction for the charisma path during the previous chapter because it didn’t make much sense.

7 Likes

Just read update. It was good. Thank you and keep up the good writing

1 Like