The Onryō of Osaka. [WIP] (Act Two fully released 31/1/2024. 136k Words.) Poll in post 181

Does the game accommodate pursuing two skills at the same time? After selecting perception as my natural skill at the beginning, I invested fully in ‘targeting’ though still wasn’t able to throw the dagger accurately from behind. Should I have stuck to one skill only?

1 Like

I thought about how to answer this for a good while, and it made me realise something about how the mechanics work. While the strength bonus is significant, it is naught but a mere elevated starting point. If you use your rewind power wisely, your weakest starting stat can easily become higher than your strength stat, for example.

In all honesty, success is decided by pure stats. If the stat that is being tested is not higher than the defined number, you will fail. The threshold for failure/success varies depending on chosen difficulty, but the premise is the exact same.

It all comes back to why I made the mechanics for the rewind system work the way it does. I always enjoy failure in stories, despite how weird that may sound, and death is the ultimate failure. But, as you might expect, death is the end in 99% of stories. The dead are dead, and that’s that. Full stop. This is my motivation behind allowing you to experience death but still continue the story. That is why the rewind mechanic works the way it does.

You are not punished for dying, but rewarded. It is incentivised to die repeatedly in each section, because even if you die, the stat that was being tested will increase. I fully encourage abusing the rewind system to boost your stats, as that is the point behind it’s existence.

If you fail, keep dying until you succeed. That is the main mechanic.

6 Likes

Hiya all! So, it is coming up on the year anniversary of me first posting that crappy, bug-ridden demo on this forum, and to mark that, I wanted to write another side story.

But, as usual, I am anxiety ridden and indecisive, so I decided that I’d let all of you choose which character you wanted to see a side story about. The one I’ve already done was about Watanabe, so it will have to be about any other character. This poll has also been posted on the tumblr page, so I will combine results and see what we end up with X

So, which character would you want the next side story to be about?

• Makoto
  • Kit
  • Ryoji/Ryuko Sasaki
  • Masa Matsuzaki
  • Midori Yasukawa
  • Kokona Karimoto
  • Kaito Busujima
  • Toshiko Busujima
  • Akari Hanabusa
  • Tsukasa Kamiyama
  • Another character, (please tell me)
  • Results
0 voters
2 Likes

So, the poll has served it’s purpose at this point, and I think it’s obvious at this point that Kit has won. But since Makoto is in a close second, and the dynamic between those two is one of my favourite things to write, I decided on a buddy-cop esque adventure starring Kit and Makoto.

And OMG I CAN’T [REDACTED FOR EXCESSIVE CURSING] WAIT TO WRITE THIS OMG I LOVE THEM SO MUCH.

Ahem. I mean, I hope you are all as hyped to read this as I am to write it <3

7 Likes