The One Chosen (WIP; updated 16/04/2024)

Please report these values to the writer:
Finsa White:
Strength: 26
Intelligence: 34
Charisma: 2
Total: 62 (New save.)

Hopeful: 68
Mundane: 39
Lawful: 67

Ædmund: 65
Charles: 67
Dahlia: 63
Helena: 70
Kevin: 62
Max: 66
Teri: 65
Xiulan: 65
Artie: 62
Professor Karline: 63
Ædmund bonus stat: 3

1 Like

1 Like

It’s different if you go with gender-fluid MC.

1 Like

Things are starting to get interesting.

Stats

1 Like

As requested-

Adam Greene:
Strength: 0
Intelligence: 40
Charisma: 22
Total: 62 (Old save.)

Hopeful: 54
Mundane: 44
Lawful: 58

Ædmund: 63
Charlie: 56
Dahlia: 59
Helena: 62
Kevin: 64
Max: 60
Teri: 66
Xiulan: 74
Artie: 60
Professor Karline: 65
Ædmund bonus stat: 4

1 Like

Wooohoo, FINALLY! I got to play both the Atlantis chapter, AND the new chapter!

To begin with, my stats:

Nash Raines:
Strength: 22
Intelligence: 4
Charisma: 36

Hopeful: 70
Mundane: 31
Lawful: 68

Ædmund: 67
Charles: 81
Dahlia: 63
Helena: 67
Max: 64
Teri: 64
Xiulan: 62
Artie: 63
Professor Karline: 67

I’m not exactly sure why it says it’s an old save since I played the entire thing after the latest update, and I restarted from start, but oh well.
Also, I find it fascinating how high a lot of people have Ædmund’s bonus stat, while I’m at 3 :rofl:

Okay so, since I have been replaying from the very start, and while looking at the code, I have a lot of errors and other issues to report, including from earlier chapters (sorry!).

I'll try to keep it nice and tidy (well, as much as possible):
The Heroic stat:

So, I see you finally kicked it out! It’s nice, but some of the choices here and there still add or substract from it. In itself, it isn’t a big issue, but at some points in the story, flavor text is still affected by it, and I feel like it now default to one of the text options, though I’m not exactly sure of how it works as it is.

• In chapter 10, when learning about the parade, one of the questions is: “What is the speech you want me to give?”
    The flavor text following that, in relation to what the MC thinks about it, is still dependant on the Heroic stat.
  • In chapter 16, during that part: “While Larabelle and those others don’t directly target you,
    you do begin to find yourself the occasional target of ridicule from first years, calling you the “Unchosen One”.”
    That sentence is dependant on the Heroic stat too, and MC’s actions can differ.
Chapter 6, when asking questions between bonding exercices:

If the characters are not partying, MC can still ask Charles and Max about the music, but they’re at a library or something right? Do they still have music in there? It feels like an error, especially since it doesn’t come up with all of the characters.

In chapter 6, during the fall and catch exercice:

If I select this sequence: Xiulan → falling → actually falling → catching, she says: “You won’t hold that last bit against me, will you, name? I totally caught you in the end.”

So, the first thing I have noticed is that she said “name”, and well, it should be MC’s actual name, I assume?
And also, the entire sentence shouldn’t be there in my case, because she didn’t let MC (almost) fall. I’m sure the problem comes from the fact I had exactly 50 relationship with her at that point, but then again, from what I see in the code, it seems it has to be less than 50 for her to not catch MC… I can’t really pinpoint the issue even when looking at the code, since it doesn’t actually look wrong to me. I guess I have missed something. What I’m sure of is that her reaction is clearly the one she has if she almost drops MC, and she did catch them fine.

Chapter 10, during the procession:

“And of course the crowds. It’s not really as crowded as you would have thought, but then you remember that only a small fraction of people can use magic, so this might magical population of Britain.”
I think it’s supposed to be something like “(…) this might be all the magical population of Britain.” - or “(…) most of the magical population (…)”, or something akin to that. Basically, something is missing in the text.

In chapter 13, when Artie is coming to school:

When MC is reflecting about the things that apparently happened to Artie, the first option in the choice is: “You kinda miss being the one who things happened to”.
And the stat effect is “set mundane %+5” - shouldn’t it lower the mundane value? :thinking:

During the dream sequence at the beginning of chapter 15:

“Fitz instantly picks Artie, and Charlie glances around and chooses Xiulan.”
In my playthrough, MC doesn’t call Charles by the nickname, and considering it consistently remains “Charles” in the narration too (including the rest of this dream), I assume it’s an oversight.

In chapter 16, if going out with Charles:

He says at some point: “It’s the same for the same for the Leercortons, the Farnsburys, and almost all other powerful families.”
“the same for” is repeated.

In chapter 20, all along:

I had an issue with time tracking in the text (the game was proceeding correctly), where during afternoon activities, the day was not accounted for, so the activity selection prompt started that way:
“It’s and you’ve still got a few days left here”
I believe it does so every afternoon (I didn’t notice on the first one/s).
As you can see, the name of the day is missing. It’s also worth mentionning that text appears even on the last full day, so it’s not even accurate about having a few days left at that point.
Sorry for sending you back to Atlantis… :sweat_smile:

In chapter 21, after waking up (Duchess' house):

“After dressing, you head down to the breakfast room, where you find Duchess Leercorton waiting for you. are standing around, looking nervous.”
Something is missing at the beginning of the second sentence.

I think these are all the things I have spotted. I hope that’s everything!
I still have a couple of things I’d actually like to go over… :thinking:

Assorted questions, ideas and suggestions:
At the beginning of the first year:

A small question came to my mind about something that was said during the first year, at the beginning of the classes:
“The magical nations don’t really line up with the nations as you know them; for example, most of North America is listed as “Uninhabited”.”
I’m not sure I understand what it means. From what I’ve seen, the world is basically “the same”, but with a lot of magic things “added” on top of what the uninvited Bloodless see. That means people DO live in North America, right? But then, does that part in the lesson mean there are merely no Blooded people in North America? :thinking:

About the Bloodless situation:

Now that I have been replaying from start to end and new content, I really think that it would be nice if a Hopeful and/or Magical enough MC could have slightly different options about what to say when their friends ask if they are Bloodless, in chapter 18.
Basically, I think they could TRULY consider they are not (I mean, I think that way, sooo :rofl:), and thus, in that scenario their answers could be something like:

• “Of course not!”, you say sincerely
  • “Of course not!”, you lie
  • “I am, yes.”

As it is, it seems the game implies that saying “Of course not!” is a lie, but the way I like to see it (and that would be in tune with the rest of my character’s actions and mentality), he’d be basically still convinced of having an extremely low magic level, as the teacher said, but still Blooded, if that makes sense? Honestly, when I was first playing, I genuinely thought that answer meant my MC believes he’s just a low-magic-level-Blooded, and it gave me a start when I saw in the code how asking Karline (hospital scene) about everyone knowing MC can’t do magic could unfold. It’s only then that I realized the game seems to imply something else than what I understood.
Generally speaking, I think it may make sense for any MC that is happy to have been Invited and didn’t try to leave to say that sincerely. My reasoning is that a kid who have suffered so much in the mundane world, and who truly found themself in this place, found a sense of belonging etc, may sincerely be in denial about that, even if they actually ARE truly Bloodless.

During the talk with the prophet:

Couldn’t we ask some more questions? I mean, a lot of them are locked behind intelligence checks, and I don’t know, it feels a bit much? :thinking:
Though to be more precise, I feel like two of the locked ones really shouldn’t be (I understand for the other ones):

• The one about asking what exactly is the Chosen One - it seems especially logical for a low intelligence MC to ask that since they would know less things overall :thinking:
  • The follow up to hearing the full prophecy, consisting picking up on the fact the thing mentions two chosen people - it’s extremely obvious, with the wording it has. Not to mention, it seems the Duchess spotted that before, so even if somehow MC doesn’t notice that fact itself, they could also rely on their charisma to notice a reaction from the Duchess when that part is told, and conclude there is something weird about that it. And besides, it’s a bit like that thing I had mentionned early on and that was added since, with Karline talking about the prophecy about the Breaking of the Eternal Bonds that could be a reference to the Air Crystal breaking (you know, when I told it was weird MC can’t ask about it AND that nobody thought about it either, and it was locked behind an intelligence check, and later on you added Karline actually mentionning it if MC didn’t). Considering the Duchess noticed that one before (and that it seems she isn’t the only one), wouldn’t she mention it to the MC, if MC didn’t notice?

Keep in mind I’m saying all of that as a person who has a very low intelligence MC who can’t access any of the locked questions, and I played the last two chapters twice in a row - one time blindly, and one time alongside the code, and these two things came to me while playing for the first time, so without seeing they exist in the code. Granted, I did suggest the first one when you were asking about questions we’d like to ask, so it makes sense for me to think about it again :laughing: - but I still see it as very obvious (though not as much as the second one).

And that would be it for these things!

Though I also have some "random commentary"... or something!
During the early meeting with Dahlia (dunno if it's the same for Kevin):

I really like one small touch during the early meeting… The one that when MC’s asked their hobbies, the music one is now “listening to - and making - music”, and not only “listening to” as it was at the beginning of the story (well, if charisma is high enough, that is). That small detail really made me smile, as it shows MC’s progression.

Leather:

Having Teri offer to purchase new clothes for MC, after complaining about their leather jacket, only for MC to pick a leather coat is the best thing ever and I love the fact it’s in the game :joy:
Teri’s reaction was so priceless…

General opinions on MC's situation:

This is a very long and very useless bunch of theories that no one should have to read (by all means, skip that part!), but I needed to put them down to feel better :rofl:

So, I have been paying attention to a lot of things here and there, and man I find it captivating, especially added to the new content?
A lot of times, in the demonic dreams, MC gets asked “what” they are, not “who”, and the demons seem very perplexed by them (not to mention they say MC “smells wrong”), and I’m really starting to wonder if MC could not even be human. I also find it worth noting that during character creation, we were allowed to make a MC with red eyes, which is something I did because of course (and I’m so grateful for the oportunity). If one does so, that strange eye color is shared by MC and that being in MC’s dreams. And while that entity’s eye color doesn’t depend on MC’s, I find it interesting to be able to actually select an unnatural color, and for it to specifically be red.
There’s also that part during the ceremony itself: “But now, instead of a monotonous drone, the notes they’re singing are weird. They sound out of tune, and at the same time more correct than any tune you’ve ever heard.” - what’s going on with it being “more correct than any tune MC’ve ever heard”?
And that is without even taking into consideration chapter 13 with “KARAKAN” being written on MC’s essay as their name, in the dream at the beginning.
Obviously, most of these things can be considered consequences of the demonic possession, but I really can’t help but think about them and wonder if MC couldn’t have some demonic essence in them to begin with. Apparently, some of the theories about what a Chosen One is, is that they are descendants of Merlin or someone blessed by an angel. Depending on the version of the Arthurian Myth you’re looking at, Merlin was the son of a demon, so both things may not be mutually exclusive. Maybe the “(MC’s last name) Clan” is descended from Merlin and thus (if that is the case in this interpretation) from demons, and MC would have a strong affinity to their demonic blood, while Artie specifically could ALSO be blessed by an angel, which could explain why they are so powerful. It also fits relatively well with one of my previous theories about MC and Artie being two parts of a same whole or equivalent, with one being “evil” and the other one “good” (not literally, but in “essence”).
I’m also very curious if there is more to the reading the prophet did, about the MC being supposedly dead. Even if I put aside the meta mindset of “if this is presented in the story, it HAS to be more important than the characters seem to think”, there’s the fact that coffin theme was coming back earlier in the story, and MC was dreaming of being IN said coffin.
A very macabre theory would be that the MC as we were controlling them at the start of the story actually died at some point around the moment where the coffin thing became a thing, and was replaced with a demonic entity with their memories and mindset etc…
Now, about that last one, I don’t really think it will be it, even though it came to my mind, but I don’t have a more likely idea about the being dead part right now, aside from believing what the Duchess thinks.

Okay, now I think I’m ACTUALLY done.
And I’m sure I left a buch of typos in my post because come on, I’m lazy and I won’t recheck this thing multiple times!

4 Likes

One Chosen by Destiny! The One Chosen by Fate!

Literally One Destiny and Fate each chose one hero. Can Fate be the one who pick my MC? lol

4 Likes
Stat Check

I was wondering if maybe we could have a choice to have a nickname? Maybe that way it would make conversations with others easier for them?

1 Like

Overall a fun experience.

1 Like

It’s still there, just hidden; I’ll keep it like this for now so I can bring it back if I actually need it later.

Thanks for all the other bugs… :sweat_smile:

There are some, but not as many, and more importantly, there’s no organised mage government there. Mage nations don’t recognise Bloodless nations, even in places that don’t really have any mage nation there.

That does make sense, yeah. :thinking:

I do still want to keep some things for higher-int MCs… :sweat_smile: But you’re right, the “Two Chosens” question is a pretty obvious one to ask.

The one about what exactly the Chosen One is, however, does feel more introspective than just asking what something you don’t understand is… :sweat_smile: I have reduced the requirement, but it still has one.

I don’t really want to comment on most of your theories, but I would say that this bit really isn’t supposed to be foreshadowing or anything, just a throwaway line about how they’re totally using Just Intonation instead of Equal Temperament. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: For those who don’t know, these are two different way of choosing what count as “real” musical notes: Just Intonation produces more perfect sounds, but can only be used on a single musical key (without retuning all your instruments), while Equal Temperament is less perfect but is just as good for any key. And since almost everybody uses Equal Temperament these days, Just Intonation will sound weird and out of tune, even though it’s technically more in tune.

Or it’s just what magic music sounds like. :man_shrugging:t2: But either way, that part honestly isn’t foreshadowing… :sweat_smile:

But the whole point is to make it confusing! :roll_eyes:

Well, okay, do other people want something like this? :thinking:

4 Likes

I found an error:

It’s and you’ve still got a few days left here. What will you do this afternoon?

I think that should say “it’s thursday” because after doing an activity it says it’s friday and after the activity on Friday this error happens again.

1 Like

Thanks! Much clearer to me now!

:+1:

That works for me! As I said, the one about what is the Chosen One may seem extremely obvious to me since I did come up with that question (dunno if only me, but that’s not the point) when you were asking on the forums, so yeah. I’m honestly fine with everything about that part if the two chosens one is not locked, since it’s really obvious no matter how I look at it :rofl:

Haha okay, got it!

I don’t see the need, but if it isn’t mandatory I wouldn’t care if that was a thing either.
I can’t imagine the MC having a nickname prior to the story, considering the life they had, and when they started going to Auverine, Artie wasn’t there yet, so it wouldn’t have made sense for them to start using a nickname. It could make sense with a very long name, but that’s not something the game will “know” and it depends on the player. My character’s name is Nash, so very short, for example. And well, if all of MC’s friends already use their name, and have done so for a year, it would be strange to suddenly start using a nickname - they would naturally revert to the name they were using before, I think :thinking:
Not to mention Artie uses their middle name anyway so eh… No officials will use nicknames, so it would remain confusing in these situations, and it would be useless at school since Artie doesn’t use the same name as MC.

4 Likes

This happened again after the saturday activity, and it feels wrong too because in saturday it said that It was your last day.

1 Like

Jasper Raines:
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 52
Charisma: 0
Total: 62 (New save.)

Hopeful: 68
Mundane: 32
Lawful: 37

Ædmund: 74
Charlie: 71
Dahlia: 64
Helena: 72
Kevin: 66
Max: 69
Teri: 70
Xiulan: 67
Artie: 62
Professor Karline: 69
Ædmund bonus stat: 14

1 Like

The one chosen by destiny, the one chosen by fate? That stuck out to me, was that intentional? If so I would find it odd if everyone know the prophecy, that no one thought that could potentially mean one chosen by destiny AND one chosen by fate… hmm we’ll see I guess

Lilith Storm:
Strength: 48
Intelligence: 4
Charisma: 10

Hopeful: 58
Mundane: 60
Lawful: 56

Ædmund: 63
Charles: 56
Dahlia: 64
Helena: 73
Max: 56
Teri: 62
Xiulan: 70
Artie: 60
Professor Karline: 60

7 Likes

Very slight update, just to add in the missing text for the Atlantis afternoons and to let everyone ask about the two separate Ones chosen.

4 Likes

Is their any fan art for the ROs

1 Like

Not that I’ve seen yet, sadly. :sweat_smile:

Is this a challenge? :eyes:

6 Likes

Wow your character will Harking’s a run for his money lol