The Odessa Dating Games (WIP) - UPDATING IN MID-JULY!

Oh i’m so excited to read this amazing wip again! Thank you for your hard work! In celebration i’ve finally drawn my first 2 mcs Solana and Mira. It’s been so long i’m pretty sure everyone already forgot about them lol so here are their drawings and descriptions again

Solana

Solana Skyheart: the literal personification of sunshine, the sweetest baby. Solana is a happy-go-lucky, bubbly and playful girl who’s also a huge meme lord and loves teasing and playing silly pranks on others. She’s very kind and caring, always full of puns, jokes and sassy comment to make people laugh. Solana is from Barba, has long blond hair, slightly tan skin and blue eyes, she’s pretty short standing at 5’2. She has a degree in music and is great at the piano and singing. Solana would love to be in a relationship and is very interested in the competion. Her royal is prince Lucine, the aloof prince. He’s taller than average, has a toned body and black hair, gray eyes and pale skin.

Mira

Mira Lockser: an adorable and cuddly bundle of enthusiasm, Mira is a huge nerd for books, anime, manga, tv shows,… Mira is a very shy, caring, gentle and calming person who would very much rather avoid disputes. She’s also kind of a klutz and tend to be anxious around new people as she is rather socially awkward and has a distinct lack of ability to pick up social cues due to being an honest and open person but when among her friends or any book-related topic (or just something that stimulates her quite wild imagination) comes up, her talkative and excitable side will come out and she would talk about it nonstop. Mira’s from Jolley, has long blue hair, green eyes and light skin, stands at 5’4. She has an art degree would love to be a writer or an artist. She’s very nervous about this competion but is secretly excited. Her royal is the rude prince Aiden Wyman who has red hair, amber eyes, an athletic body and tan skin, extremely tall.

8 Likes

Entertaining and different. Quite enjoyable to read, so well done there too. :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

Me: sees ODG update

Me:

16 Likes

Yessss really thrilled about this update! :smiley:
jonah-hill-excited

4 Likes

Getting a 60 with the shy heir, resulting in that unintentional Robin snubbing, then bosting it to 66 towards the ending just by choosing to skip breakfast resulting in him bringing my mc breakfast :eyes:

It’s a great feeling :smirk:

Also, Idk how I feel about Robin. Like, she and the heir broke up, and I know couples break up and get back together all the time, but just the fact that she’s trying to get back with them again using the competition makes me feel like she’s doing this for publicity. ​I could be wrong, but that’s the first impression I got.

12 Likes

True. Depending on the heir’s core personality, her reasons won’t really seem all that great. I can totally understand Robin feeling insecure with a flirty!heir, rude!heir or aloof!heir, but with the other types–particularly the most noble/responsible one–she was making a choice, one that feels pretty shallow to go back on all things considered, as well as in spite the king all but forcing the issue with MC’s who dig their heels in.

11 Likes

Hiiiii! Heads up I think you’re missing a “how” here.

Princess Augusta immediately notices much of a royal (MC Name) was looking already. Even if he didn’t win, Augusta thought that he should make it to the finals at least.

Between notice and much.

Princess Augusta clasps her hands behind her back and think it over for a brief moment.

Missing the “s” at the end of “think”

Princess Augusta is silent for a moment, thinking about the question. From what King Frederick has told him about the website in the days since the reveal, loads of time, effort and money was put into it. He said that it was basically foolproof.

Continuity error if a princess shouldn’t it be “King Frederick has told HER about the website”

Soon enough, MC takes his seat. Well, that was easy enough. MC did not seem terrified of all the attention, but maybe that was just a front. In either case, it was nice to seem her again.

Continuity error for Male MC should be “In either case, it was nice to “SEE” “HIM” again.”

Should also be SEE not seem

Could be wrong this is my first ever post :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This game is pretty fun so far! Though, there is a bug I’ve noticed during my initial play-through: I chose to go to Lox after college, but after Ross and Ryr leave your apartment, the text says " You smile a bit to yourself, glad to see your old Guard mates again". Isn’t that supposed to only pop up if you have a history of being a guard, or did I miss something? Other than that, the game is really interesting so far and waiting to see how it progresses.

4 Likes

Hey, so you might want to know, I think there’s a bit of a coding blooper in chapter 2: I’m playing a college graduate who’s less than thrilled about participating in the games, but when I’m talking to the guards for the first time and choose the option, “I definitely don’t want to go, but what choice do I have? I just shrug in Ross and Ryr’s direction,” I get the text for if I was an ex-Royal Guardsman. I forgot to grab a screencap, unfortunately.

1 Like

AN UPDATE?!

LeadingHopefulLangur-small

9 Likes

Yesssss an update…!

2 Likes

How do you call out how the king and queen were sick at the see of the flower_

1 Like

Oh wow, for some reason I was convinced the previous build was as far as public versions would go. Talk about a nice surprise to see an update!

All in all, the new content was very interesting, and it was cool to finally meet all of the contestants!
The various fixes to previous content help a lot too!

There are some errors I have noticed, or things that left me confused still, so I’ll just list these. I’m not repeating things that I had reported for the previous build and that have not been changed, since I consider it either means you consider them fine as they are, or that you simply didn’t get to fixing them yet.

Obviously, some of these things have spoilers for players, so yeah, the details will be hidden for space reasons, so I won’t be spoiler tagging them in addition to that, since these are feedback anyway.

When playing a reluctant "on the run" MC:

I had an error I didn’t have the first time I’ve played. I’m on the “on the run” background, but when Ross and Ryr go away (after the reveal of MC having to enter the games), I got that segment: “In the blink of an eye, both Ross and Ryr are gone. You smile a bit to yourself, glad to see your old Guard mates again, before it slowly drops. Sure, everything was easy and calm now, but there was no telling what the next weeks and months would hold.”
And right after:
“Get up, Odi,” you sigh, trying to keep a smile off of your face, but you just couldn’t manage it. It reminded you of being in the Guard too much to take seriously. “I don’t want to go, but there’s no point in whining about it too much, especially to you, since I know you’d kill to be in my position right now.”

It’s clearly from the guard background.
It appears as default when selecting the option that says MC definitely doesn’t want to go but doesn’t have a choice.

Also, while it’s WAY better now as far as a reluctant MC goes, I still feel saying “I don’t want to go, but there’s no point in whining about it too much, especially to you, since I know you’d kill to be in my position right now.” is a bit too much for a MC who really didn’t want that and is at risk of having their whole life ruined.

The early ending:

The early ending feels better now, though I’m still a bit sad it doesn’t get described a bit more in the actual story, prior to the meta part, but still, it’s not as abrupt as before! So yeah, I’m mainly putting this here because I did talk about that point a lot before :rofl:

When meeting the heir:

I don’t rememeber if I had reported that before so I’ll write it just in case. When meeting the (aloof) heir, the shy greeting option doesn’t add to the “shy” counter for MC’s personality.

When coming back to the hotel after meeting the heir:

The scene starts with another “NOW PLAYING AS: (MC)”, but the PoV already transitionned after the garden visit, on the previous pages.

Jenna's card:

I didn’t think about it before, but it would be nice to get the option to decide what to do with the Odessenters card Jenna hands MC… :thinking:
Like, my MC wouldn’t want to keep that thing - not only it doesn’t fit his ideology, but it would be bad to be seen with that card among the items he owns.

Impossible skill checks:

There are still some issues with impossible affinity checks with characters. I didn’t mark down the ones that I already reported the first time around, but I had a new one with Bex this time, when they select where to sit, during Arrival Day.

It's that instance:

*if (bex >= 55)
Bex opted to take a seat far away from you and Doodles once the Royal Family got the flowers, but did flash you a small smile while walking past.

*if (bex < 55)
Bex opted to take a seat far away from you and Doodles once the Royal Family got the flowers, barely giving you a passing glance as they moved.

I got all of the relationship + with Bex up until that point, and I’m at 52, since the increases are so small.

Another one is with Melanie during breakfast in chapter 3. I believe I have max relationship with her too, but it only reaches 59%, and it has to be 60 or more for the flavor text to change:
*if melanie >= 60
Melanie notices you watching her and gives you an inviting smile.

*if melanie < 60
Melanie pays you no mind as you look at the other open seats.
EDIT: I was told this one is not impossible when going for one specific answer at some point, that I did miss when checking if that one was impossible. But as I explained in my next post, I do think having to make a “perfect run” with her up until that point for her to simply smile at MC during breakfast is a bit much :rofl:

Cass on Arrival Day:

This one is more subjective, but I still feel like it’s better if I mention it.
It’s a bit strange in my opinion that on Arrival Day we don’t get a genuinely friendly answer for Cass (I mean, when MC thinks Cass would have teased them). Something like that they would have laughed at their antics. My MC’s past relationship with Cass is best friends, so I can’t imagine them being really flustered by the teasing, but I can’t imagine them being mad or ignoring them either. As it is, the only option that doesn’t seem mean or indifferent to Cass is: “…would’ve welcomed the attention and teased back.”. But it adds to the “flirty” stat, so clearly it isn’t a really genuine, friendly and innocent thing. And well, the option about entertaining the teasing because of the cameras seem to imply (on the follow up page) that MC doesn’t truly care about Cass, but only about the cameras, so it’s quite bad too even if it’s a “friendly” option.

Morning preparations at the start of chapter 3:

If I decide MC has any special feature or does something special to stand out, then once it’s done it cycles back to that option, which in itself isn’t bad since it allows for multiple things, but the option to move on (“Nah, I’m just here to brush my teeth and leave”) sounds weird if something was selected before since it implies MC does nothing at all. Maybe it could change to “Nothing more, just brush my teeth and leave” or something like that, in case one or more of the options were selected before.

I think that’s it? :thinking:
Aside from the genuine mistake about the background, it’s honestly the impossible skill checks that bother me, since well, because of that the way the characters act around my MC doesn’t really reflect how well they may get along if based on the conversations.

Also, a random thought I had while playing!
It would be funny if MC had a 99% compatibility not only with the heir, but also with the chosen RO if said RO isn’t the heir. What I mean is that if the player follows another romance, MC and RO would later discover they had a 99% compatibility, but nobody bothered to check that out since they were looking for a high compatibility with the heir only, and once they got it they made the candidates enter the games and that’s it.
Or well, at least, I think it would be pretty amazing if that was the case with Bex, since MC and them are the two highest profiles. :rofl:

I’m so torn though. I like the (aloof) heir a lot, and I would like to go for that romance, but I’ll also admit Bex really stole my heart - now that we had more scenes with them, I’m even more sure than before… and I can’t really imagine not going for them as RO. Aah, hard choices… :pensive:

5 Likes

It is possible to reach over 60 with Melanie actually, although you do need to make rather specific choices. Some options when first talking to the contestants all together do give more affinity with her. I for example went with the “Oh, sorry” choice. You can also say you aren’t over the moon, or say how hungry you are, all three give the same boost. When talking to her one on one, however, you can ask her why she thinks she is a Fae after asking why she likes Fae so much. If you do this and then choose the last option, offering to give her information if you learn anything, you will get the largest stat boost of all other options after she tells you that she thinks she is one, regardless of whether you ask why. I don’t know the math about what value this gives you but when I tested it she does smile at you when you show up for breakfast.

I don’t know about Bex though, need to try that out myself.

2 Likes

That is weird, I checked it out afterwards and somehow didn’t see that option - I’ll correct my post, though I think it’s a little high a requirement for her to simply smile to MC, if one has to make “perfect choices” :thinking:
It’s not as if it was a huge thing that would really require her to adore MC, basically.

I did re-check for Bex though, and unless there’s some hidden choice somewhere that grants points with them, then it’s really impossible. But I didn’t see anything during any of my replays nor when checking, both yesterday and now.
When meeting them all of the + options grant the same amount, and then when talking with the journalists, one option grants a little bit if MC tells them about meeting one contestant and that they seemed nice. I know I choose some options that don’t grant the maximum after that check, since the biggest ones didn’t fit my MC’s personality, but prior to that… I don’t think so…

1 Like

Thank you for the update!
Potential spoiler: Quick question. What is the password for? I don’tunderstand? Does that mean that the chapter is over for now?

1 Like

The password lock is for the author’s beta testers only. It is not accessible by the readers.

TLDR; yes.

12 Likes

Ah, okay. Thanks for explaining that.

1 Like

Guess we all shall be waiting.

1 Like

“In the blink of an eye, both Ross and Ryr are gone. You smile a bit to yourself, glad to see your old Guard mates again”

Hi, I got this when the guards show up to tell you that you match with the prince. I chose the on the run from bad people origin. My mistake incase I’m wrong.

1 Like