After losing a bet to your roommate, you’re forced to sign up for Odessa Dates, a wildly popular dating website taking your country, Odessa, by storm.
When an announcement by the Odessa Royal Family thrusts you into a competition for the heir’s hand in marriage, you quickly begin to realize that you’re in a lot more trouble than trying to figure out what spoon is the dessert spoon.
With rivals, romance and rituals around every corner, welcome to the Odessa Dating Games!
Hello everyone! Almost two months to the day I posted about my game idea in the Interest Thread, I’m pleased to say that The Odessa Dating Games is now ready for initial testing!
The rundown for this game:
- Play as a man, woman, or as non-binary! Be gay, straight, bisexual or pansexual.
- Romance loads of characters, including your roommate, the heir to the throne and more!
- Keep your friends close and your enemies closer as you work to uncover what threatens your home country of Odessa.
- Create the royal of your dreams, or play as a default royal character.
- Odi/Odanna Baxley: your roommate, whose gender you can choose. Can be romanced by any gender.
- Princess Mozelle: the younger sister of the heir, who is gender-locked to female. Can be romanced by any gender.
- The Heir: the heir to the throne of Odessa, which can be completely customizable! From skin tone to gender, what the heir looks and acts like is all up to you, or not. You can select which royal route you’d like to go through at the beginning of the game. Can be romanced by any gender.
- A number of contestants: at least one male, female and non-binary contestant will be able to be romanced, no matter your gender.
- Some secret ones too
- What is your inspiration for this game? I’ve always loved reading and playing games that involved royal families and royals! As far as games/material, I was inspired by Princess Academy by Shannon Hale, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, as well as Drag Star from COG and various other HG and COG royal inspired games.
- When will this game be finished? Who knows…maybe the end of 2020?
- When is the next update? I’ll update the title when the next update is available! I can’t pinpoint down an exact date or time, as I work on this game all hours of the day and night.
- How many chapters will the game be? Looking to have at least 12 chapters. Might increase depending upon how the story goes, but there will be at least 12.
- Will there be a sequel? As of right now, no, but I’ll revisit the idea of this once the game gets closer to completion!
- Where else can I find you on the internet? Well, I’m all over, but I don’t have dedicated socials for just my writing. Best place to reach me is on this forum, for now.
- Can I create fan art for your story? Totally! I welcome all fanart and as the game nears completion, might hit some of you guys up to create something for the game!
- Why is the game locked after a certain point? This was implemented in October 2019 after repeated posts of the same error or bug, despite myself and several other people saying not to post them. Only members of the alpha and eventually beta team will have access to parts beyond the password locked content.
- What does the alpha and beta teams do? Read this post for more information.
- How can I join the private testing team? I’ll post when I’m looking for more testers!
- I have more questions that aren’t answered here! Just post them in this topic and I’ll be sure to answer them. If they are asked often enough, I’ll add them here!
Game Related FAQ
- What kinds of personalities can romance (insert royal personality here)? All MC personalities can romance any royal personality. A mean MC can romance a shy royal character and vice-versa, for instance. The only thing that changes is their reaction. For instance, you bump into a mean royal and accidentally spill their coffee on them. A mean MC will curse the mean royal out, causing the royal to get even madder, while a shy MC will apologize profusely, potentially causing the mean royal to soften up a bit and maybe even issue an apology. The same scene still happens, but reactions are different.
- What setting/time-period is this game in? Modern times. There’s TVs, electricity, cell phones, but this country still has rather heavy royal customs. The Royals wear formal clothing when the situation dictates, but they also wear casual clothing as well.
- What do I wear in the game? This changes from chapter to chapter, but pretty much whatever you’d like, within reason.
- Why are there other romance options when it seems like we’re supposed to be with the Royal? A few reasons. For people who might want to romance the Royal when the game begins, but find it too tiresome as the game continues, for people who are interested in a competition story like this, but would rather romance somebody not as high profile and for people who want options instead of being shoehorned into getting with the royal! Also, my favorite reason…drama.
- Will there be sexual content? Yes. It’s completely your choice whether or not you decide to have sex with your RO, though. You won’t be penalized stat-wise if you choose not to have sex at all during the game. It’ll be the typical lead up before fading to black.
- What are the sexualities of all the characters? Most of the characters in the game are pansexual. This includes the Heir, Mozelle, Lyon, so on and so forth. If you’re curious on the sexualities of some of the NPCs, Ross is bisexual, Ryr is straight, Rebecca is asexual and Bryce is queer.
- Can I become Fae? Am I secretly Fae? Can I join the Fae in their court? Do I have magic abilities? Nope. At no point in the game will it be revealed that you’re secretly Fae, you have magic abilities from the Fae, or anything like that. You are 100% human. There are two new routes in the works and one will allow you to work closely with the Fae, but that’s it.
- Can I romance Rumi, Queen Juliet/Ramona, Ross/Ryr, etc.? Rumi is in a committed relationship, so they are not romanceable. As for Queen Juliet, you can romance her if you’re playing in a certain route or make certain choices. She is the hardest person in the game to romance. Queen Ramona is very much in love with her husband so no romancing her. You can’t romance either guard, but play your cards rights and you can do a bit of matchmaking
- How old is everybody? You are in your mid-20s: 23-25. Your roommate is 24. Mozelle/Lyon are around 21-22. The heir is 24-26. Ramona just turned 50, which Frederick is in his mid-60s. Bex is 28. Queen Juliet is in her mid-50s, but her Fae blood keeps her looking much younger than her actual age.
- Will there be poly options? At the moment there are none in the game, but they are likely to come in the future. However, they will likely only be offered for secondary characters (Bex, Queen Juliet, etc.) and not the heir.
- Do real-life countries exist (i.e. the USA, Canada, etc.)? Yes, but they are very irrelevant to the game. Odessa is the superpower in this world and is roughly the size of Russia.
CURRENTLY ON: Chapter 2 Part 2
CURRENT WORD COUNT: 288k+
@.OMG_Im_Really_Dying’s MC Peony!
@Nate’s Charming Heir:
@.Fitri’s aloof heir and shy MC:
@.wanamingo’s MC, Tommy:
What's New in This Version (aka the Change Log)
What’s new as of November 17, 2020:
- Enter a new RO. Yes, I just can’t help myself. You’ll be meeting Cass, an individual that can be somebody you knew from your hometown, your ex, or your former best friend. If you love an RO with an IDGAF personality, you’ll love them.
- We are at the beginnings of Arrival Day for the competition. You have a variety of entrances (or not) to take advantage of. There is another one in the works involving singing! Suggestions for entrances are appreciated, but keep in mind that I won’t be using every single one. If you like what’s available, then great!
- I’ve made the choice to remove the spy route from the backgrounds for a number of reasons. To sum most of it up, it would’ve been too logistically hard to add it in this far into the game. However, I will make the option to become a spy in the game (assuming you pass stat checks of courseee) and make Queen Juliet a bit easier to romance due to this.
- I’ve fleshed out the mover background with the choice of a few fun activities for an early stat boost.
- I’ve fulfilled a popular request of adding new hairstyles for yourself and the royal, including curly, afro, dreads, etc. Piercings, tattoos and facial hair will be coming in a later update.
- Added the option while meeting Robin to ask about the heir. You can be as polite or snarky as you’d like…
- Odessa Today magazine bug is fixed!
- Good news for my sarcastic heir players, all bugs regarding that error are fixed completely. You’ll be able to continue playing unaffected.
- Bex’s introduction should be corrected while playing as a guard.
- Added a guard specific response after the games reveal.
- Fixed the city bug FINALLY!!! YES YES YES. No more going and exploring multiple times for bigger and bigger stat boosts, sorry my friends.
- Fixed shy heir/smart clothing bug. It should go to the shy heir meeting now without issue.
- Can now return to the stats screen from the various subpages (Fae Dictionary, Stats with Benefits, etc.) also well requested and flows nicely!
- Added in reasoning for why pre-law/med majors are at the office job. TLDR; money.
- Reworked height in the heir building scene, thanks again @violet!!!
- Added in POV change titles where appropriate.
- Fleshed out a bit in the charming garden meeting. Highly recommend going to play that little portion out.
- Loads of shit I’m sure I’m forgetting.
- Bug/spelling/all that jazz fixed as usual.
As you’re playing, please let me know:
- If you encounter any bugs or continuity errors: I write the game in Google Docs before moving it over and coding, so I’m sure there will be things that I have missed. I’m also a coding newbie, so I’m sure occasionally I will miscode something, despite me playing it over and over religiously haha.
- If you think a feature/stat/character should be added: I’m open to all suggestions!
- If you have any plot/scene/etc. critiques: Is the pacing too fast? Is a character suddenly out of character? Stuff like this is great for me to know!
- If you wanna keep playing: I want to know this each time the demo is updated. If the answer is ever no, please let me know what I can do to make it a yes.
Without further ado, play the demo here! https://dashingdon.com/play/tandra88/the-odessa-dating-games/mygame/
Godspeed and God bless Odessa.