The Northern Passage (WIP)

Thought of another possible reason for the MC to not to go behind Lea’s back: it’s just not very practical or advisable. You two are supposed to be partners for life. This isn’t something you can hide short of going rogue like Noel apparently did (and hunters have handlers for good reason)-- even if the whole thing somehow goes off without a hitch (law of drama says that’s never going to happen), Lea is going to notice your sudden windfall. It’s really not a good idea to deliberately damage an already-precarious relationship with someone you need to trust with your life for the foreseeable future.

8 Likes

I can’t believe I haven’t read this wip until now it’s fantastic. Such a meaty, immersive chapter and taut with emotion. I adored all the characters as well, they have depths and secrets which makes this wip all the more compelling and well, real. (mm I can taste the aaaaangst)

I also can’t help but admit that I’ve been shamelessly flirting with all the ros. Yes, all of them. Help me, I can’t choose :weary:

Anyways, I’ll be here in the corner rereading it for the umpteenth time today, no shame.

6 Likes

10/18/20:

Minor update today. Fixed the dialogue in the scene with Clementine, as well as added in a few more interaction options with Noel, Merry, and Lea. Also found a bug in the prologue that has gone unnoticed, which was a dialogue option not showing up at camp with Lea during the fight, if you turn Clem away on the road. So that’s now been fixed as well.

This was a pretty quick one so there may be minor errors in the writing, I will continue to refine this piece as well as edit it again once I finish the entirety of chapter one for the next big narrative update. I just wanted to fix this a bit before moving on to the rest of chapter one :slight_smile:

21 Likes

very fun game! i liked interacting with the RO’s :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is really awesome, so far love the world building and the characters are very engaging and I’m curious about what’s going to happen next. Really excited about this game, looking forward to the next update.

1 Like

Housekeeping update 10/30/20!

No new content today, just some code fixes. I corrected the issue with Lea and Noel’s pronouns, as well as tweaked more of the stats, though they’re still not done unfortunately…I’ll get there eventually lol. And updated the content warnings, to include alcohol and smoking, because I completely forgot last time.

And instead of the [FLIRT] indication, I have added in little hearts to the flirt/romance options. Because it’s cute and I love it.

I also added in the option to input your own pronouns for a non-binary hunter. Otherwise, still chipping away at Chapter 1. No real estimated completion date, but if I get to that point I’ll be sure to post it here.

Thanks for reading!

20 Likes

WoW… This is weird.
And I don’t think that the stats are working properly…
Whatever I do that pirate captain and rogue hunter’s relationship won’t go down :joy_cat::smile_cat::smirk_cat: lol for some unknown creepy reasons I want to hate every single possible character.
And whatever choices I take there’s no change in that humanity stat…

This was a lot of fun and I am looking forward to whatever happens next!
I really like the NPCs (especially Noel and Lea), the dynamics between handler and hunter are super interesting and the overall tone is just :kissing_heart::ok_hand:t2:
I noticed only very few mistakes but truth be told I was too engaged in the story to really be on the lookout :see_no_evil: Something else I really want to mention here is that I loved how I could react to certain things, and I felt myself tearfully nodding along when my hunter refused to be bribed by clem.
Keep up the good work! :purple_heart:

3 Likes

thank you so much!!! im so glad you enjoyed that scene, that’s been one of my favorites to write so far. i really appreciate the kind words :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

just a general status update:

i’ve posted this on the blog, but for everyone here, i am currently aiming for a january update with the entirety of chapter one. i’m a little behind at the moment, mainly because i work retail and black friday happened and now there’s cyber monday lol…but after this week things should calm down and hopefully i can get back on track. i’m definitely over the halfway point, so things are still looking good despite the setback.

i clocked in about 30k total for nanowrimo on chapter one, and adding that with what i already had written before the start of novemeber i think the total of chapter one with all branches included will be pushing 100k if not over 100k LOL so. there’s that to look forward to

as always, thanks for all the kind messages and support! it means a lot :revolving_hearts:

45 Likes

Keep up the good work but don’t overexert yourself. We’re waitin patiently!! :100::beers:

7 Likes

Lea owns my entire a**, and I am perfectly happy with that.

9 Likes

Update 12/24:

Mainly a big patch update today - a lot of editing done once again throughout the prologue and also some edits for the opening of Chapter 1. Still tweaking the stats. No new content warnings.

Only a small bit of new reading: a chance to talk to Captain Harlowe. Updating early as a holiday treat! Last update of the year! Next update will be Merry’s branch in Blackwater, in January.

Happy holidays, and stay safe everyone.

26 Likes

The most dangerous people are like Merry reaction to what I just said what you wrote pretty much was understandable but dangerous she is angry that a two people told her that they can’t do this and you should talk to our Superior I’m using this in the line of military Hunters organization was pretty much based off that type of organization and they’re only here to complete one job and not the other and if the individual may be messed with their own you don’t expect this comeback shows that she has no control of the situation at all and she is completely desperate an insulting the Handler did my feelings about her that she is not thinking are putting their lives on the line they should not risk their lives for jobs they don’t know too much about or group that put them as hostages for the time being pretty much so that’s not good for Merry the situation right now and brings lack of trust that they shown to Hunter and the Handler and they should not fully trust Merry to keep her end of the deal and not stab them in the back and twist the blade

1 Like

You did a good job making me question merry character she does not look like she’s in control and it’s fun to read this and I can’t say good luck on opening night but I’ll say break leg and have fun on Christmas Eve

1 Like

I looove this. I’m already engulfed by the story, the horror elements and the angst. It’s just: :pleading_face::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Also, I’d die for Lea. I love them and they are my everything :sob: I’m usually a bit of a flirt in these games, but I just can’t do that to them :broken_heart: I appreciated Noel flirting with me tho :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

The sense of atmosphere felt so alive in this story! I was incredibly drawn in and ended up speed reading towards the middle because I wanted to see what would happen next, haha. I’m literally the worst with anything that has to do with horror movies, but I’m super excited to read a horror story!

I did catch two little errors though.

Summary

“Please don’t do this right now,” you say, and it comes out far more strained than you expected. You lean back, your grip tightening on your

You sit like that for a moment, just glaring down at your hands.

I chose to drink and no word shows up after ‘your’. I looked at the code and it says if (vice = “flask”) when the vice was set as “drinker” earlier.

“Let me talk to him.”

Clementine looks disappointed at your words. “I can’t wait forever, Asher.”

“Tonight. Just let met talk to Lea first,” you say.

In the last line: me instead of met

4 Likes

thank you!! good catches. no idea why i used flask in that piece of code lmao it must have all been blending together. this actually helped me find a few other spots where i had left the placeholder “pipe/flask” with no code at all lol :sob:

2 Likes

realized i never posted here: the next update will be January 25th!! for now it’s looking like it will just be merry’s branch in blackwater, but i am currently working on clem’s as well, so there is a very slim chance that may be done in time to be included (but don’t get ur hopes up haha… :sob:)

slowly working my way thru the four branches, which will be separate updates (unless like i said, clem’s is finished in time) and then the narrative reconvenes for the rest of the chapter. thanks all! hope everyone is staying safe and enjoying the new year :heartpulse:

38 Likes

Quite the interesting story I must say. I really like the horror elements and “Witcher-vibes” you get from the MC. Finally another game where I can play another grumpy misanthrope. :smile:

Keep up the good work!
And oh well, this year can hardly be as bad as the last one… not impossible but let’s just hope for the best.

5 Likes