I have recently began turning a game I created in Quest into a Choicescript game. The original game is rather long (I am guessing around 90,000-100,000 words, though I was still expanding it when I found out about choicescript) and I have only just finished coding about less than half using choicescript (almost the entire first part, up to the first bottleneck at Bardra, round 45,000 words or so).
I thought than rather than proceeding further it would be better to start getting some feedback on the first half. I think the best thing would be to release it to everybody, and I will try to work on any suggested changes as soon as possible to avoid many people finding the same bugs, etc (I have run the random tests and playtested the game numerous times, but I am sure bugs are still lurking out there…). The original Quest game was reviewed by several people (who I will have to acknowledge somewhere in the game, how do people normally do this in choicescript?), but I am sure it will benefit from further and more in-depth reviews.
So, please fire away! Particularly, I am interested in knowing:
- What do you think about the writing style? Can it be improved? (any suggestions on where things drag on too much, boring bits, typos, grammar errors, etc, are most welcome!)
- What do you think of the combat system? (too easy, too hard? Other options that could be added?). There are 4 instances of combat in this demo (including 3 variations that allow for the player to fight with his laser or hand to hand vs an opponent that can do either of the two: laser or hand vs laser or hand, laser or hand vs hand only, hand only vs hand only)
- I know the character creation system is a bit lame at present, any suggestions for improvement?
- How do you find the exploration side of the game? I am aware this makes it rather different to other CoG, which are rather more linear… does it get confusing?]
- What parts of the game you found most interesting/boring? Which parts would you like to see expanded?
Can everybody see the star charts? They are supposed to be embedded jpeg files that can be accessed when leaving a system, but I cannot see them after compiling... any ideas?)
- Anything else?
Eventually I am hoping to also have a space combat system, though some feedback on the current individual combat would help me think how to best implement the space combat.