The Myrmidon (WIP) (Minor update 03/10/2017)

The plot thickens

Wait. Hold on. That can’t be another Forged Flash. Or the original. Can it? I mean, Arinthas is (as far as I know) the most studied Technomancer around, and it seemed to me like even he had a bit of trouble getting the Forge to play nice. So… did the Lady brainwash another poor soul who looked like the MC? Did she manage to brute force her way to working the Forge? Is the MC having a nightmare?

…but if Radjack does something stupid like get himself killed in a self-sacrificing distraction play, I swear to all deities that’ll listen that I’ll haul his body to the Forge for resurrection just so I can kill him myself.

I’ve a sneaking suspicion that this wouldn’t even be the most twisted tea party that the Lady C’s been involved in.

I mean, the more I learn about her, the more I’m certain that she’s basically Hannibal Lecter in a fancier dress.

7 Likes

I won’t give the whole thing away, but picture a climactic battle across the ruined manor, ducking, dodging and attempting to outfox an opponent who has every advantage you have.

Worse, imagine what happens if Radjack finds your doppelganger first…

This night is going to be a weird one for Radjack whatever goes down…

Well the television won’t be invented for several centuries yet, so it’s either theme orgies or bridge night.

And you can only play bridge so many times before the game loses all meaning…

I’m feeling a strong Pagan Min vibe from her tonight:

6 Likes

I actually don’t want to imagine that.

If a Lady Calinas-raised doppelganger got their mitts on Radjack, I’m pretty sure torture would be the kindest thing they would do to him. As much as I love tragedy and all that fun stuff…

Unless they’d pretend to be the MC and “oh, Radjack, killing the Lady has gotten me flustered~” and–
nope, this is getting weird.

8 Likes

Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding!

We have a winner!

You voted ‘takes advantage of our plucky young Brando to get close enough to stab him in the gut and watch him bleed to death in front of you!’

Let’s see what you’ve won!

Hmm… Mostly you’ve won the cripplingly depressing ending, actually…

Next time we’ll try for a cuddly-toy or a poorly-built microwave or something…

…Aaand with that I’m going to bed. It accidentally became 3:30 in the morning here.

14 Likes

Ok, so I’ve been putting it off too long, and I need to restate my mission objectives for the near future:

Firstly, I said that next I’d write the mage-path escape scene, rounding off the prologue, but I can’t. I can’t quite get that whole path straight in my head, so I’m going to temporarily shelve it and focus on the other two paths for a while.

What does that mean?

Well it means that by popular vote I will now be working on Chapter One of the Rebel Path, tentatively titled An Upright Machine.

I have no strong timetable as of yet, but I can promise that I have started work introducing you to both Navi and Engel, two Yeomen who round off this ramshackle collection of malcontents and ne’er-do-wells.

With that done, we can now focus on the thrilling escapades and emotional rollercoasters of a city teetering on the precipice.

…Or just write sloppy makeout scenes with your favourite rebels… Whatever…

20 Likes

One, that is an awesome title, and it sounds kind-of like a futuristic, dystopic film noir movie title to me. Two, awesome! I look forward to whatever you come up with and I wish you good luck figuring out the Mage Path and also writing the Rebel Path and all of it!

In the meantime, I eagerly await this thrilling, teetering rollercoaster. Good luck!

2 Likes

Thanks, it’s actually a mangling of the first chapter of Les Miserables, which is titled ‘An Upright Man’.

…There’s a time and a place for subtlety and I have no idea where or when it is.

10 Likes

Throws money at the smut Ehrm, I meant the romance branches. XD

10 Likes

Keep your humor going… it inspires us all :dolphin:

2 Likes

How you please us with your nourishing, nourishing words. Good show.

[quote=“Moreau, post:910, topic:15992”]
There’s a time and a place for subtlety and I have no idea where or when it is.[/quote]

Well, I’ll never tell! Besides no need to gild the lily when there’s a Tizona afoot.

You know, “An Upright Machine” alternately made me think of the song “Strict Machine” as per [quote]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strict_Machine
Alison Goldfrapp read in a newspaper about experiments in which scientists stimulated rats’ brains so that the rats would feel joy when following commands. She was inspired to write “Strict Machine” based on images of the experiment and “more human aspects of machines and sex and control.”[/quote]

such as

[quote=“Moreau, post:831, topic:15992”]
Your bone structure and muscular is standardized to be roughly equivalent to a baseline human, but is designed to produce minor electrical stimulation through the epidermis, as well as other minor alterations that are said to enhance the unit’s capacity as a personal companion.[/quote]

Aha! One leapEverything connects.
(pats the static electricity from my hair)…(never truly succeeds)

4 Likes

I’m very interested to see where this goes. And I’m very interested in the characters of the Magister and Radjack. I do think that the racial choices could be made a bit more clear before selection or allow for the player to go back and pick a different one instead of having to restart.

1 Like

How about sloppily making out with my favorite rebels while riding emotional rollercoasters?

…No?

A tad more seriously, I’ve a question, if I may-

is there any bit of the Yeomen and the whole situation there inspired in any way by RENT? I ask because… I have no idea. Maybe it’s Engel who is German for Angel, maybe it’s the slightly bohemian, eff the man vibe I’m getting from the rebels… Maybe it’s just that I might be going to see RENT in the near future.

…it’s a silly question.

5 Likes

Hang on, let me sit down for a minute.

Would you believe I’ve never seen it? I won’t write off the association, because art bleeds into everything and I might have imbibed some of the themes and characterizations without directly realizing.

However, I can’t directly claim to be inspired by it, as I’ve never seen it…

Pity me, for I know not what I do…

If such a thing exists, I see no evidence for it here.

4 Likes

It would appear that I am discovered…

My only hope now is to flee the continent…

A new reader! Welcome new reader, you are welcome here.

You raised a very good point. Truthfully the racial choices won’t really play into the wider story, but the prologue will be receiving an extensive redraft at some point in the future, so I’m adding your observation to my notes.

2 Likes

Is it weird that this, perhaps, shocked me more than anything else said here? Not because everyone’s seen RENT (I haven’t, though I really, really want to). But because between all the references everyone always makes somehow, in the back of my mind, I just kind of assumed everyone on here somehow knows every reference there is to be made. So hearing that you don’t know something actually shocked me?

It appears I’ve been disillusioned.

And still really need to catch up on pop culture.

4 Likes

Don’t look behind the curtain, Rena.

Nothing but purebred 100% percent Wizard behind here, trust me…

5 Likes

[quote=“OScott, post:915, topic:15992”]
How about sloppily making out with my favorite rebels while riding emotional rollercoasters?

…No?[/quote]

I feel as if you’ve been in my head. I hope to have refreshments set out for next time. Food for thought, as it were.

[quote=“OScott, post:915, topic:15992”]A tad more seriously, I’ve a question, if I may-

…it’s a silly question.[/quote]

You have saved me from re-polishing many a nail by already tapping in questions that I share. Almost every one. Of course, I keep the truly absurd ones locked in tight. One may have to do with nightwear and onesies with butt flaps.

Still, with such posters at the helm of knowledge-seeking I have been able to revel in my leisure. Please continue.

3 Likes

Oh, you mean Long Johns? Radjack’s are grey with a little front pocket for midnight snacks.

Next question.

7 Likes

That…was actually regarding Mr. Gray…
“Truly absurd”, I said.

P.S. Silver lining that Rad gets all that exercise fighting/running away from oppression as he always seems to be munching. Else “Streetcar” Brando becomes “Dr. Moreau” Brando and the Yeoman would run out of bandages.

2 Likes

I would say that Mr Gray is more of an Ebenezer Scrooge nightshirt kinda guy, but I’m fairly certain he sleeps perfectly still in a pressed suit, unable to move for fear of creases.

For those of you thinking of pursuing a long-term relationship with Radjack, remember this… You may look 22 forever, but Radjack doesn’t have to…

6 Likes