The Myrmidon (WIP) (Minor update 03/10/2017)

Pssh, I wouldn’t get used to the classiness.

Give me a roll of duct tape, a dog whistle, Tom Jones’ greatest hits on CD, and the original copy of the Declaration of Independence. Things’ll be back to normal right quick.

edit: Though… if you do wish to maintain classiness levels, I know a little joke about some aristocrats.

4 Likes

Soooo get shot by your ex-girlfriend, current love-affair’s, crazy husband’s dead mistress’s husband because your ex ran her over?

5 Likes

Sure. Why not.

(I’ve never seen the movie, so I have no idea what you’re talking about. I just know if the gif.)

Same. Momo is required. I feels so damn bad for her, :cry:

@Moreau Paying attention, I presume???

Oh. It most certainly did, did it not?

You… You want me to drown in a pool?

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Dale+gribble_4d0b37_5018826.png

Of course! It’s so simple!

Always…

6 Likes

Sorry, I just plum didn’t see this question.

The Forge does imbue knowledge into its androids, allowing them to function in their intended role and as a part of society at large. The android has plenty of knowledge available, but no context in which to use it. They know how to read and write, but have no idea what they want to write about. They are adults when it comes to education, but children when it comes to wisdom.

2 Likes

At least it’ll be a CLASSY death.

3 Likes

That is facking adorable. Like my image of Momo

1 Like

I have found toilet paper to be an essential ingredient in the construction of most types of bomb. This dynamite Mr. Shackleford speaks of only sweetens the deal…

Also! If you can believe it, old sport, I’ve found myself wondering some things about this particular piece of interactive fiction. Questions, ho!

-Re: the MC and what they know, because @RenaB reminded me - will someone need to explain the birds and the bees to them? How would each companion go about doing so? Intelligence MC probably knows the mechanics and whatnot, certainly, but do they know anything outside of ‘this is how humans spawn?’

-There was a bit of discussion about character creation and whether the physical aspects will play any sort of role in flavor-ish text and the like. Given the descriptions following each physique choice (‘lean’ because running from the watch, ‘muscular’ because manual labor) I’m wondering if that is also a thing that establishes just what sort of person Flash was/the MC is expected to be. Is it? If so, what does the ‘perfectly average’ option mean for those expectations? Or is this all simply flavor?
[also, is there any particular reason the MC can’t be of average height and above/below average musculature or above/below average height and average musculature? Is it a coding thing? I’m just curious.]

-speaking of physical thingies: the Forge was instructed to make as close a copy to Flash as it could muster. Does that include ‘imperfections’ like scars and the like? Or is the MC’s skin 100% baby smooth and unblemished (which explains Radjack’s ‘is all that makeup going to your head’ remark)?

-This next one… I’m not actually sure how I should word it, and I likely am going to sound like an insufferable cad. I do want to know this thing, though, so I’ll voice it as best I can. Please knock me in the head a couple times with a hilariously oversized fish if I creep too closely towards ‘asshat’ territory.

Onto the actual question: will we be able to identify as\outwardly express a gender different from the one the MC is ‘born’ with? Will we be able to change the MC’s name in that case?

-Would this be terribly OOC/highly unlikely?: the Lady turns the MC against Radjack and company by admitting that they did know that pack of slumrats, but then twists things and says that they’d left the MC for dead (those dirty peasants likely pushed the MC, poor dear,) that she’d taken them in to give them a better life, the only reason they showed up to ‘rescue’ the MC was because they were jealous of the life that the MC would be able to finally lead under her care! And so on, until the MC goes all Handsome Jack on the poor folk of the city, taunting the Yeomen all the while.

A bit more to the point: will the noble MC be able to go all Handsome Jack on the Yeomen? Or, at the very least, express some Handsome Jack-like hatred towards those bandits disturbers of the peace?

-Not so much a question, but a request. If I may be so bold.

Would we be able to get some needlessly romantic fluff pieces involving Ser Ferah? I think she’s the only introduced human RO that hasn’t had anything of the sort, and it makes me a bit sad because she’s rad.

…I’d also like to request some interaction snippets with Vitruvian à la that Ariadne post much further up (and also some more Ariadne! …and some more Radjack.) but I’d rather not push my luck too far.

-Speaking of Radjack: that scene waaaay back, with the statue and the tears. Is that a noble MC seeing the statue in the slums and crying over some dude they didn’t know? Or is that rebel MC 100 years after the revolution weeping for lost love? And is Arinthas hovering a few feet offscreen, waiting to make the MC an offer?

-Also! You were asking for suggestions for things to throw in the first post a lil bit ago. I’ve nothing for the thread, but I was wondering if you’d be able/willing to throw a change log in the game.

edit: argh… Also also, for the purposes of proof reading/text combing… I know most of the very basic differences between American and British English (random ‘u’ in words, artifact v artefact, proper pronunciation of lieutenant, so on), but I was wondering if you (or anybody, really) could point me in the direction of a decent site that catalogues that sort of thing. I did not know, for example, that abbreviated titles like ’ Mr.’ do not end with periods in British English.

I know that this is easily Google-able, and I do that when I’m in doubt of something anyway, but I’m wondering if y’all have a trusted resource for checking this kind of thing.

3 Likes

That’s what I figured. Now I won’t feel any guilt for getting rid of her. (I don’t necessarily mean killing her off)

Hold on… I need to sit down… Cooper, fetch a large brandy, would you old boy?

Wouldn’t you rather find out for yourself?

This is one of those things that started as mere character fluff, but may be more useful later. It will help to define Flash’s earlier life a little bit, if I can keep a level head and get it done properly.

Scars didn’t get ported over, no blemishes or moles or other nasties that one accrues living out in the real world. Interestingly this also means that you have no fingerprints.

Interesting question, I was thinking yes but only in the Noble path, as I have two characters in mind that will sufficiently open the MC’s mind to the possibilities.

Interesting question, in essence there will be a degree of social conditioning that you can either accept or resist, but all that I can promise you is that Lady Calinas will never reveal all the facts when she speaks.

One Ser Farah fluff piece coming right up.

You know I’m writing a game where all of these things happen, right?

Oooh… Good question.

That’s actually a fantastic idea that I will be implementing on the next update.

You don’t learn British, you are British.

In all seriousness, I have no idea where such a resource could be found…

3 Likes

So do they know about emotions? Or are they learning as they go along? I.e. when the MC is first talking with whoever they’ve chosen to go with, and they feel/haply/sad/whatever, will they understand it? Or will they know it but not necessarily understand it?

2 Likes

My answer to both of these questions is:
‘Well, yeah…I guess…
I’m not pouting, you are.’

AWESOME. One step closer to my dream of becoming this universe’s John Doe, and I didn’t even have to sand them off.

A bit tangential, but are there any ‘famous’ serial killer types in the rings? Like John Doe, Hannibal Lecter, so on.

Right?!
…it’s gonna be one of those ‘wait for the game’ things, isn’t it?

I’m almost certain early 2000’s Madonna would disagree with you on this.

1 Like

Knowing the basic procedure of a prostate exam is not the same as receiving one.

There are now!

No in all seriousness, the most famous play in all the Rings is about a serial killer. The Humbling of Dian is a tragic story of loss as the titular Dian incurs the wrath of a serial killer who periodically arises to kill a member of her family every few years. Its a pretty rough ride…

2 Likes

Yes but when you have a prostate exam you aren’t able to turn to the person next to you and ask what it is you’re feeling. (I assume)

(… then again I may have just described the occupation of a… prostation? Do doctors specialize in prostates like gynecologists? Or are they just regular ole doctors? My knowledge is as limited as a newborn* MC.)

*Speaking of which, would the MC think of themself as “newborn”? I mean I know if you go the rebel path and get all upset and sad about letting the group down then it says “you were just born an hour ago after all” or something along those lines, but how old would the MC consider themself? I mean, they’ve got more intellect than a newborn… would they say a newforged? Newly… created?

Talk about young body for an old soul.

2 Likes

This is a tough concept to get my head around, really. The MC may know all the words, all the equations and explanations and theory in the world. Their knowledge only gains context through experience though. The MC may know that piercing the skin elicits a pain reaction, but they don’t know the sensation intimately until they experience it. Humans usually learn the other way around, so it’s not easy to convey.

The MC will use the opinions of those around it to try and gain that context. Much as we learn how to carry ourselves in the world by watching others. The difference is that the MC will do it very quickly compared to a human child because it already has the theory down.

3 Likes

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/You+are+already+dead+edith+i+told+you+i+can+t_5b2d95_5432427.jpg

I have been waiting for a reason to use this.

4 Likes

[quote=“Moreau, post:717, topic:15992, full:true”]

Knowing the basic procedure of a prostate exam is not the same as receiving one.[/quote]

That is the oddest connection I’ve seen drawn in awhile. She says “emotions”, and you say “prostate exam”. :astonished:

4 Likes

… there is definitely a joke in there somewhere.
I just… have to poke around a bit, I guess. See if I can feel anything.

3 Likes