The Myers Briggs type indicator and interactive fiction

For those of you who haven’t heard of the mbti, it is a simple personality type indicator that has exploded in success. I find the method to be extremely accurate, although most doubt its certainty. Whatever the case, its certainly something worth doing, if only for interest’s sake: http://www.typefinder.com/test/type-finder-personality-test

But my point is, are there any direct correlations between personality types and the choices made in choicescript games and other interactive fiction? For instance, in heroes rise, I got some of my friends to take the test, then play the game. Everyone who tested as “intuitive” were lawless, and everyone who tested as “sensing” were lawful. There were some other correlations, “judgers” getting high justice (which, I suppose, is self-stating) and introverts tending to have lower fame.

“feelers” had much less success, as they got too absorbed in the story and could not make rational decisions to ensure success. “thinkers” on the other hand, had a higher legend level.

I encourage everyone reading this to take the test and share their results in the games put out by choice of games. It’d certainly be interesting to see the types of everyone on here.

Thank you for considering this.

Oh, and I almost forgot. I’m an INTJ.

I remember taking something similar to this my first year of college, during my General Psych class. It was a pretty fun thing to do. I don’t remember my type when I first took the test, but this time it came out ESTP, though I do remember that it was an I (for Introverted rather than an E for Extroverted) strange, that.

Wow, that’s really cool! I ended up getting “chameleon” so I wonder what my personality type would be on this.

You tend to go with the flow and enjoy what life has to offer

You are observant and have a talent for adapting to your surroundings

You like to be flexible and spontaneous, and prefer not to make long term plans

You enjoy working with your hands and creating something tangible

You have a live-and-let-live attitude and rarely judge other people. MINE

Very interesting. I’ll go take it!

You are a traditionalist who likes stability and consistency

You value hard work and responsibility

You make sure you always keep your promises to others

You like to keep organized and appreciate schedules and to-do lists

You appreciate structure and like people to play by the rules

I also remember being an ISTJ.

Personally, I find these sorts of psychological instruments broadly unhelpful and not very useful. Possibly in a psychiatrist’s/psychologist’s field, coupled with other instruments, there MAY be some use to be derived from its questions. I’m a little sceptical of anything that charges for this sort of thing which this almost certainly does on any site I’ve visited.

As for determining character choices, I find something like the old D&D character alignment questionnaires to be more useful and more nuanced actually. I found a lot of the MBTI questions just didn’t give me the option I wanted. Same with D&D character alignment but at least the results themselves are a bit more open to interpretation.

http://ztoe.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/alignment1.gif

I love these kinds of things, and do consider them when writing games, because it helps me come up with choices that I personally would think were a terrible idea, but someone else might love.

I’m ENFP, btw, and I always tend to end up with really high relationships scores with people in games without even trying, and that’s more or less the only thing that happens in every game, which I think has something to do with authors having different consequences for focusing on friendship. My low stats are always the things that go down in opposition to relationship improvement.

And the D+D alignment system is great for this too! Sometimes I even combine the two, because most people don’t associate so easily with the MBTI thing, but can readily identify themselves as “neutral good” or “Lawful Neutral” or whatever. The two have a lot of correlations as well, with a lot of the IJs being more lawful, and people like me being far more chaotic. People with more logical types also fall into the ‘evil’ roles more easily, though obviously they aren’t actually evil irl.

Fascinating!

@SpaceLesbian Game design and game theory is really useful for CoG because a lot of feeds into what really makes someone enjoy your game or not! As an aside, I would recommend taking a look at Egoraptor’s silly but at times informative analysis of game design called <a href=http://www.youtube.com/user/egoraptor/videos?sort=dd&view=46&shelf_id=4&tag_id=UC0gEw6pgNkLkkzMwzX4UtHA.3.sequelitis>Sequilitis. There’s some decent stuff in there.

I think personally, there’s a lot of stuff that can be incorporated from things like D&D and a multitude of other game mechanics which help to make things more enjoyable to write and play. On your point about evil; I read this interesting article that was arguing that evil in D&D, or any game for that matter, tends to constitute of selfishness and that it was the degree to which you were selfish that determined how good/evil you were. So, Darth Vader only cares about the Sith and is lawful evil whereas the Joker is only concerned about watching the world burn and so would be more chaotic. In contrast, Superman is concerned with saving humanity so tends towards the good side.

@SpaceLesbian I hear you… Since I’m an NT (rational) people often tell me I have “an evil look in my eyes” and it gets on my nerves. I mean, give me a break, people! I’m just thinking!

@_jl That’s correct that some of the choices are a little vague… But I just choose the one that I feel represents me the best. I remember I used to always play a chaotic neutral character in D&D, and once (the memory is a little vague) the party was ambushed by goblins… Thieves, of course. Now my character actually happened to be a goblin rogue, and there was a lawful good cleric in my party. He said something along the lines of “we need to kill these goblins to rid the world of evil”… So I stabbed him in the back and took his money for being such a racist. Ironically, I ended up saving their lives even though he was “good”. Well, food for thought anyway.

@Samual_h_young Let me know when you’re finished.

On another note, there are several sites that tell you which fictional characters match your type… Here are a few links.

Marvel: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-S5fyULOzSac/Uqt25y1Dk-I/AAAAAAAAA7Q/pn6v_LJuamY/s0/MarvelPersonalityProfiles-Full_Size.jpg
I was always a big fan of the comics, especially daredevil. I find it interesting that I share his type.

Star Wars: http://www.geekinheels.com/2013/10/23/star-wars-mbti-chart.html
Wow. I’m darth sidious in this one. Oooh-kaaay, moving right along.

Harry Potter: http://www.buildingthelifeyouwant.com/blog/the-harry-potter-mbti-chart
And Draco Malfoy.

One Piece: http://anna-hiwatari.tumblr.com/post/63717256489/simbaga-redid-this-after-a-bit-more-thought
Haven’t watched too much of this, but I’m putting it anyway.

@_jl I am familiar with Sequilitis, and rather grumpy about it, because now when I play bad games I actually realize they’re bad! The burden of knowledge is truly great.

And yeah that makes sense in regards to evil. Lawful evil tries to game the system for personal gain, chaotic evil just does what they want to who they want because they want to, and neutral evil just does whatever is best for them. I like that interpretation. Certainly a lot more relatable than actually wanting to be a jerk.

@lackofmops I’m Qui-gon! The coolest mo-fo this side of Yavin IV. That’s exciting.

INFP, as a Marvel fan I was excited to see I relate to Spidey and Kitty Pryde, two of my favourite heroes in comics. I figured with Star Wars I’d probably be Luke, and I was right!

ISTJ:

You love ideas, theories, and complex concepts.
You analyse things logically and objectively.
You are independent, unconventional, and do not care what others think.
You think like a scientist and question everything.
You have little patience for people who are intellectually inferior.

While I’d say the test is accurate in terms of my style of thinking, I’m not so sure I agree with how it interpreted my social attitude. I’m often fairly enthusiastic about sharing and comparing ideas with other people, as I view the process as another opportunity of expanding my knowledge and understanding of a certain area, even if I disagree with the other person’s perspective.

I wouldn’t say I have little patience for people who are intellectually inferior so much as people who are wilfully ignorant, who make little to no effort to improve their minds and behave as if the process is simply a waste of time or beneath them in some way.

I definitely tend to play a pragmatic ‘ends justify the means’ mentality when given the opportunity in Choice of Games titles, leaning towards the ‘Cut-throat Strategist’ style in Hero’s Rise 2. Though I rarely play the villain, preferring a morally grey anti-hero character with generally good intentions, the moral ambiguity in many of my choices has a tendency to alienate most other characters, souring my relationships with them. I often try to maintain decent relationships and avoid souring them unless it would mean throwing away an excellent opportunity. I generally find myself prioritising stat gains and strategic advantages over social gains, usually leading to successful, if somewhat bitter-sweet endings.

Never taken the Myers Briggs, but I’m familiar with the Enneagram, which I understand is a similar personality type categorization system. When writing I usually try to categorize my characters by the Enneagram numbers – at least the main characters. It’s important to offer a wide display of personalities in fiction, I think.

@SpaceLesbian has an awesome point, though. Why didn’t I think of applying the Enneagram (or any personality system, really) to the player character? It sounds so obvious to me now, but it’s great advice.

@Saint_Nicholas I’ve never heard of the enneagram, I’ll have to check it out.

Here are just a few of the things the TypeFinder has discovered about you.

You are dynamic and imaginative and see many possibilities in the world
You love to think out loud and brainstorm new ideas
You enjoy being in charge and leading others with your vision
You are a skilled communicator and have a talent for expressing complex ideas
You naturally see potential for improvement in organizations, systems, and people

@P0RT3R what type are you, specifically? ENTJ maybe?

@lackofmops it didnt say so i have no idea