The Magician's Task (WIP) [Chapters 1-3, 74k words] (CLOSED FOR NEW THREAD)

I know I’m probably alone in this choice, but I hope I’m able to not fight or try to talk to Killian. I mean we have a diplomacy stat so…

1 Like

Of course! My goal is to not have any “best” choices, just choices that are generally equally good, so that it allows the MCs to be who they want to be.

Here are just the choices without the follow up text for the BOSS BATTLE with Killian:

BOSS BATTLE:

Killian grins savagely and says in a septic tone, “See you later, freak. I was just going to go pay your brother a little visit. What was the brat’s name again? Oh, yeah…Percy.”

And that’s when you snap.

*page_break

The hulking bully guffaws mockingly and turns to walk away, but you storm after him, your blood boiling so hard you can barely see. Petre and Verim step after you, frowning in protest, but Mabelin suddenly intercepts them. She jabs a finger towards the cronies and growls, “Sit your puny asses down!”

The redhead yelps and backtracks quickly, whereas his blonde compatriot actually pisses his pants, almost tripping over his feet as he backpeddles. Meanwhile, Killian has turned back around to meet you, his usually dull eyes shining with excitement and arrogance as his lips curl into a sneer.
*choice

#Angry tears building in your eyes, you scream, “Why do you have to torture me all the time? What did I ever do to you? What could I have possibly done to deserve this?!”

*selectable_if (strength > 14) #You slug him as hard as you possibly can, breaking his nose with a satisfying crunch. (Requires 15 Strength)

*selectable_if ((mana > 0) and (destruction)) #You unleash a wave of magical energy, caving in the ground beneath his feet. (Requires 1 Mana and Destruction Magic)

*selectable_if ((mana > 0) and (light)) #You raise your hands and produce a blinding flash of light straight in Killian’s face. (Requires 1 Mana and Light Magic)

*selectable_if ((mana > 0) and (stealth_magic)) #You suddenly turn invisible and whirl around Killian in circles, striking him over and over. (Requires 1 Mana and Stealth Magic)

#“Lend me your powers, Zaleth!” you cry to him, your voice thick with emotion. You want to crush Killian with ease and make him regret ever tormenting you.

5 Likes

Looking good so far. Like what I’m seeing.

1 Like

I’ve decided on the names for the other two male ROs. The servant will be named Jude and the knight will be named Kidas.

3 Likes

I think you mean “rip” instead of “wrip”

2 Likes

Thanks! I already went back and fixed the typos from that scene in my files. Strange things happen when you’re half asleep at the keyboard, haha.

1 Like

Speaking of ROs, how many are there, who are they and what are their preferences?

There are 8 ROs total: 4 male and 4 female. They are:

Keano the archer
Rigel the healer
Violet the thief/demon huntress
Mabelin the vice-captain
Blossom the fairy
Izzy the adviser
Jude the servant
Kidas the knight

Thus far, Keano, Rigel, Mabelin, and Violet have been introduced. Blossom will be introduced around chapter 9 and the other three will be introduced around chapter 11. The entire story will be huge, though, and I’m guessing there will end up being ~ 30 chapters total.

All of the ROs will be available to romance regardless of whether the MC is nonbinary, male, or female.

8 Likes

Are you still looking for beta testers? If so;

3 Likes

Hahaha, yaas. :joy::joy:that meme is always correct

1 Like

Wait you’re beta testing this? If you are sign me up. Your previous works have been rock solid and from the 1st chapter of this one, this looks to follow that pattern.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m hoping to make this one much better than my previous works, and judging from how this WIP thread is going, I’ve succeeded so far.

Yeah, whatever is on the demo is up for feedback. So far I have 17/30k for chapter two, so I’m hoping to post that in the next few weeks.

6 Likes

This is getting a beta test? Then save me a spot, please! As you already knew, I immensely enjoy your works (Can’t wait to see you tackle Winter of Bovine, but that’s a whole other conversation)!

As far as I can tell right now there’s just public testing? If it ever does go private though, I’d love to be a tester

1 Like

Thanks, guys. To be clear, this IS the beta. :stuck_out_tongue: it’s just a public one where I release new chapters as I go. Thanks for helping me test it.

@Voldy
Glad to hear you’re excited about WotB! That’ll be the novel I’m gonna work on after TMT

5 Likes

No. Thank you for writing such great pieces!

Yes.

1 Like

MINOR UPDATE:

I’ve added lots of “clever” and “hilarious” achievements to the demo. None of them are currently achievable, but I thought you all might be interested in them nonetheless. In case anyone is curious, here’s the code so you can see the “amusing” blurbs you get when you achieve the achievements:

*achievement stealth_magic visible 5 Stealth Magic
Wield stealth magic, you sneaky bastard!
You have the ability to become invisible, become weightless, and extinguish lights.

*achievement destruction visible 5 Destruction Magic
Harness destruction magic, and destroy stuff with it!
You have the ability to grow claws, throw fireballs, and destroy objects.

*achievement light visible 5 Light Magic
Use light magic, and create light with magic!
You have the ability to calm others, heal wounds, and create orbs and flashes of light.

*achievement mabelin visible 10 I love you. No, I’m not being sarcastic
Romance the most sarcastic vice-captain with the biggest mohawk in the village.
You have begun a romance with Mabelin. Wooptydoo.

*achievement rigel visible 10 I, uh, love you
Romance Rigel, the most awkward and loveable healer, uh, ever.
You have begun a romance with Rigel. Uh, congratulations!

*achievement keano visible 10 You intoxicate me
Romance the the whisky-loving sharpshooter.
You have begun a romance with Keano. Break out the booze and celebrate spiritedly already!

*achievement violet visible 10 You stole my heart, and my money
Romance the craziest and sneakiest girl in the village, if you dare!
You have begun a romance with the tattooed demon huntress. She stole your heart, literally.

*achievement nature visible 10 Nature Lover
Explore the woods on both of your off-days.
Climbing trees, relaxing around the wildlife, and swimming in the pond. Ah…

*achievement cave visible 10 The Necromancer’s Cave
Delve into the old sorcerer’s cave every chance you get!
It’s spooky, secluded, and potentially dangerous. What else could you ask for?

*achievement chess visible 10 Chessiree
Go to the chess club every time you’re off work, you obsessed nerd.
I know, the sixty four squares are strangely addicting. Must…stop…playing!

*achievement library visible 10 Bibliophile
Visit the local library at every opportunity, you bibliophile.
What does bibliophile even mean? Just kidding, I know you already know.

*achievement spar visible 10 Sparring Arena
Get your behind kicked by Mabelin, then possibly –rolls eyes– return the favor.
I’ll spar you the torture of reading some corny joke about sparring. You’re welcome.

*achievement farmer visible 5 Farmer’s Tan
Get a farmer’s tan farming at Farmer Mather’s farm.
Farm… Farm. FARM!!!

*achievement thief visible 5 You Dirty Thief
Steal lots of stuff.
Congratulations, you stole lots of stuff.

*achievement scribe visible 5 Carpall Tunnel Syndrome
What even is that? You’re one of the most educated people in the village and you have no idea.
Carpal tunnel syndrome: you have no idea what that is, because you’re in medieval times, but you definitely have it.

*achievement guard visible 5 Guardedly guard the guard tower
Get paid to be target practice for Mabelin’s sarcasm. Oh yeah, and stop petty disputes.
You stopped bar brawls and fights between couples…my hero…

6 Likes

This update seems really cool now we know what magic types we have to choose from. also is it only those three types of magic if it is that’s cool but if not what over types are there

2 Likes

Yep, it’s just those three. I wanted to give you some options without also getting too bogged down.

2 Likes

Three to four options seem the sweet-spot for me too.

3 Likes