The Magician's Task (WIP) [Chapters 1-3, 74k words] (CLOSED FOR NEW THREAD)

So far in TMT, I’ve been giving 3-5 choices most of the time, which is more than I usually gave. Plus, there will be lots of choices throughout the story that lead to different mini-scenes with unique choices of their own, like what you will do on your time off in chapter one and which jobs you choose in chapter two, for example. So I think the replay ability in this work will be huge when it’s finished.

6 Likes

Looking forward to it, I have already replayed it quite a bit. Also just wondering why the MC and they bully’s are in there in 20s and not teens since it would make more sense. Other than that I’ve really enjoyed it so far and can’t wait to see more of Violet she seems very interesting.

2 Likes

I did think about making the mc 18. I’m trying to find a balance between making them young and also giving them enough experience to be a war general in Githrad to fight against the army of demons. Maybe I’ll make a poll to see what people think!

Glad you’re liking it so far! Yes, Violet seems to be far and away the favorite character of testers so far, and it’s no surprise to me since I think she’s probably the most interesting one. You’ll be seeing lots more of her in each chapter.

3 Likes

Why not just make a time skip? Killian and Co bullied the MC when they were younger and then it skips to present day. I’m just writing a very simple example but whatever you do I’ll continue to read and support TMT, since I was hooked by just the first chapter.

3 Likes

That’s a good suggestion, as well! The only issue is that the plot runs on a very specific timeline, as it is concurrent with the plot of my Demons Among Men series. They feature different MCs and different stories, but they have three supporting characters in common, and some of the events are connected, as well.

@JimD @Havenstone @Eiwynn @Fiogan

So I tried adding another poll to the original post, but it kept coming up with this error: “You cannot add, rename, or edit a poll after the first 5 minutes.”

This is a shame because I was planning on adding several polls to the OP as this WIP went along. Do mods have the capability to add more polls? If so, I would really appreciate if someone could add this poll to the original post:

[poll name=poll2 type=regular public=true]

• Age 18
  • Age 20

[poll]

I think I could change it. (Note to anyone reading in surprise, I am a ‘leader’, and not a moderator). I went and experimented a bit just now.

Unfortunately, though, I think it might also erase the results of the poll you already have up because I would have to add a name to the first poll to make it work. When you have multiple polls in one post, they need to have separate names or the forum seems to get confused. And if I edit a name into the poll you already have up, that counts as changing the poll, and changing a poll resets all votes. And even then I’m not absolutely sure it would work; I’d have to click ‘save edit’ to see if the changes will take.

What about putting a link to further poll-posts in the first post? Less convenient, I know. Alternatively, I could change it but your first poll would reset. (Screenshot it first?) On the upside, further polls could probably be added without causing any problems after that.

Sorry I can’t do anything further—maybe @Eiwynn or one of the moderators knows another solution that I don’t, or can’t do myself.

2 Likes

You could split the difference and have the MC be nineteen, or just say “young adult” and let the player decide what that meant?

I got the vibe the bullies were largely just immature jerks who would be doing their thing regardless of the MC’s age, so it didn’t strike me as something that needed adjustment in any direction

4 Likes

Oh, okay, thanks. I definitely wanna keep my first poll so I might just have to leave it to that one.

@HomingPidgeon
Yeah, basically!

3 Likes

Didn’t know TMT was part of a series so I bought Trial of the Demon Hunter about to play it can’t wait! Thanks for writing them! So is TMT a spin-off of the main series?

2 Likes

The only other solution I can think of (but never tried) is to edit out the old poll (after @Samuel_H_Young records the results elsewhere or below in the post via text) and then establish a new poll.

Thanks! Let me know what you think.

Yeah, TMT isn’t technically a part of DAM, but they are in the same world, and do have some things in common, as I mentioned above.

@Eiwynn

That’s okay. I wanna keep the poll rolling for as long as this is a WIP, because there are still lots of characters to be introduced and many more chapters to come as well. Thanks, though.

Another option, requiring more work on your part (but not much more) would be: Have a master list (with links) in your first post that redirects everyone to the polls they are interested in taking.

This is what I plan on doing if I ever have a series of polls to do.

2 Likes

Fiogan mentioned that as well and I might end up going for that in the future. Thanks again!

1 Like

Why not just give the reader the option to choose their age while they are choosing their gender or something like that?

2 Likes

That’s a good idea. I’ll think it over! I would want it to be something that effected the story somehow if I did give that choice.

3 Likes

Well, you could have that some characters will treat the MC differently depending on their age.

4 Likes

The MC only has one mana a day to cast spells, is this usual for most or all magicians, or is the MC just not a particularly powerful magician?

@renzenar
Well, let me clarify. You get one new Mana per day, so if you didn’t use any mana the previous day, you would be able to use two mana that day, and so on.

I explained in detail in post 144, but yes, all magicians are much weaker magically than other kinds of magic users.

2 Likes

Oh cool, that’s a really interesting magic system.

1 Like

Yeah, the way I made it, magic wasn’t originally present on Lume, but then when powerful demons connected the Netherworld and Lume through other dimensions, magic started seeping in. And then most of the stronger power users like witches and sorcerers got their powers by making deals with demons.