The Magician's Enigma (2 Chapters, 25k words)

I think the main reason that rule exists is to stop newbies from making a thread and never going any further. But it’s a fool indeed who would assume Sam would pass up the chance to set up yet another WIP. The demo will come, sure as shootin’.

14 Likes

Sincerely I think In cases as Sam lucid or even yourself that have published at least two games in Hosted. Should Have your own section that any new fan could directly search for author and add there each new project.

That could improve the fan base and build hype and be practical to the author.

However, is true that the rule is not clear whether or not applies so maybe a further clarification could be really useful.

5 Likes

Just wanna say thanks real quick for getting this back on topic.

TMB was a really intriguing game for me. I liked that being a magician still meant being part of the normal world and having to deal with normal problems. I liked having to hold down a job, though multiple jobs did seem a bit much. I would have liked more variety in magical styles (maybe the option to add a new power in the sequel?), but I certainly liked the flavor of just having an “edge” rather than world-changing power. I am concerned the sequel will suffer with a 5x power increase.

For context, I played as a stealth mage for the speed boost, because I really just wanted a magic that enhanced my normal abilities.

5 Likes

@loomy
That’s for new people who say “hey i hav an idea for a story where your a swordfighter any thoughts” not published authors who have been making stories for the better part of a decade.

Rules are not rules for the sake of it, but to serve functions.

@Fujcog
Oh hi, CYS guy. Glad to see one of you guys was drafted over here for this once again. :blush: :wave:

It may surprise some people but all rules are not 100% rigid. I was using another account for the purpose of a pen name, not for the purposes most people make multiple accounts for.

@kckolbe
I’d say the MC would be several times more powerful because of the combination of being trained in combat and magic by a wizard, but it certainly won’t be anything like a spell that can shoot five fireballs instead of one. It’s closer to how a boxer could beat five regular guys in a fist fight.

@Gower
Sorry for posting about that stuff here on my own thread. I just know that their issues are with me, not moderation and forum norms in general.

11 Likes

Can the mc become more demonic or get a stronger demon bond with their soul

2 Likes

Yes, that will be something that can gradually occur in the series. :smiling_imp:

8 Likes

MuHaHaHaaaaaaaaaaaa​:japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

3 Likes

@Samuel_H_Young I’ll close this thread for now and have the mods review some of these post.

I’ve reopened the thread. It may be the crazy optimist in me, but I’ve asked those who posted angrily to contact me personally if there’s any grievances I can address, and let them know that after further trolling here I have to suspend. I hope anyone who has a problem with moderation stuff can come to me. I’m always happy to try to fix any mistakes I’ve made. It would be cool if we could continue on from this point talking about this WIP on this thread.

Perhaps it will get easier once the demo is up. I for one definitely symphatize with you, and would love to give you feedback by my ability, but I haven’t read the Magician’s Burden (yet. It’s on my to-buy list. Too many good games!) so it’s kind of hard to strike a discussion that’s not about commenting what has been said (which probably isn’t a good idea).

Good luck with writing! (And life. That’s important too.)

7 Likes

I’ve deleted several posts above so we can, I hope, start fresh here and keep this thread specifically for discussion about this WIP. Any discussion about other issues should probably be in the norms thread.

15 Likes

Sam, I’ve always enjoyed your writing and storytelling. I cannot wait for TME. :+1:

6 Likes

I am incredibly looking forward to the Magician’s Enigma.

In fact, I am about to start for the nth time another round with Violet.
Hopefully, things will get better with her in TME.

Thanks Sam. Don’t ever let them distract you. Just remember us your loyal fans. We’re here to support you.

7 Likes

That seems like a lively thread.

Anyway, pretty curious to see what the demo will look like. It’s been a while since Magician Burden, but a continuation should be interesting.

At the very least, seems that the stakes have been raised quite significantly. Saving the world was certainly above the MC’s payroll last time around!

11 Likes

Update:

Chapter One is on the demo. It’s 14k words, and mainly has to do with interacting with the cast around your father’s funeral. I look forward to your comments and feedback and I hope you enjoy.

20 Likes

I feel like the overwhelming majority of the questions are unnecessary if the previous file is loaded. Also, the scene where Rigel talks to MC about the father’s words…none of the responses felt right.

Lastly, Diplomacy shows up as an attribute and subject

1 Like

I think you have a coding error because after you select the type of mage you are it still shows up as a question mark in the stats.

1 Like

I have the same problem.

3 Likes

You can’t load files until the game is published, so that recap is the alternative for beta testers.

Any suggestion on something else to add?

Thanks guys. I’ll fix those errors.

4 Likes

@Samuel_H_Young

Hey I already love the game and it’s only the 1st Chapter man I just love your style of writing and the gameplay, in the scene where your friends come to you and talk to you at the funeral. One thing is like they basically say the same thing like two or three times but using different words.

When they first come up to you They all kinda mention how they are sorry for your lost and they didn’t know your father well but knew he was a great guardsmen. Which is somewhat realistic I guess I mean if I went to the funeral of someone well known but I hardly knew I would probably repeat what little good things I did know of him to everyone I met there but I probably wouldn’t do it to the same person within the span of a few minutes.

I feel like instead it might be more interesting conversation to talk about the aftermath of the fight more with your friends. And maybe mention who if anybody your friends may have lost as well.
A few interesting points I wanted to discuss more with them were:

• Keano and his decision to give up alcohol you couldn’t really discuss that part without being a jerk to Keano about it.
  • Rigel and how your Father spoke about you to him. I feel like that was a small snippet of the convo without Rigel when it probably should’ve been something Rigel should’ve led with.
  • Mabelin her convo was pretty spot on all things considered. I know this will probably be in the official release but maybe you can talk about getting back to work with the Guard pretty soon as means of distracting you from your grief and honoring your Father’s memory.

This are just a few things I noticed that might improve the convos a little bit. Nothing major, If you choose to leave them as is though and focus on other more important content than Would make sense too.

8 Likes