The Magician's Burden

I’ll check later today when I got off work to see how high your arcana can get. There are probably some stats I need to balance better.

1 Like

Not really.

In fact, in my case during the playthroughs of the new chapter, getting to the 20 range in most of the stats were pretty difficult (barely managed to reach that stat level with charisma). :sweat_smile: It might be due to the fact the main character I created for these playthroughs is a Light Mage whose doing a farming and guard job which are jobs their magic has little use in (and alternate between the woods, the library, and the sparring arena on their off day), but my character isn’t able to get all that close to reaching the requirements to do anything for either jobs (often only reaches like 14-18 in stat levels).

Don’t get me wrong, I have enjoyed the new chapter, but the 20 range stat requirement does feel like a bit of a steep expectation for most players to reach (I was actually surprised by the jump: it went from need 8-10 earlier own, then a little higher from that during our second free day, and then the 2nd job day comes around and I’m like ‘that’s…quite a jump in numbers’ :sweat_smile:).

Of course, this could be a case with my play-through itself; the others may have had a easier time with the stat-raising.

5 Likes

I played through quite a few times and found it quite hard to keep up with the high stats demand. I usually play a stealth mage who is a thief and a guard with high speed. I managed ok up until the second part of the robbery with Violet when all the checks were kinda high.

I would maybe suggest a few more options but that might just be my tunnel vision mode on my favourite stats.

On a side note i find it kind of ironic to be a guard and a thief. Maybe a few jobs cross over might be cool

Overall i still love the new chapter and every other part of it.

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing this out. I definitely don’t want the checks to be too hard because I know how frustrating and limiting that can be. I’ll look into it tonight, and I might end up lowering the checks in Chapter 5 to 15.

@elvesforthewin
Haha, it’s kinda like how Violet is a demon huntress by day and thief by night.

I could add another option or so for a lot of the stat check choices, if need be. I do like making it so that many of the choices test you in various areas that aren’t the same each time, though. I don’t like when there are just four checks every single time (charisma, stealth, magic, and strength, like in every fantasy IF ever) and you can invariably pass by using your best stat over and over. :sweat_smile:

EDIT:

Alright, everyone, I’ve lowered all of the knowledge/skills/attributes stat checks in Chapter 5 by 5 points. Let me know if that helps. :slight_smile:

BTW, this is what feeling inspired can do:

It took me 14 months to write TotDH, an 80k gamebook. Now, several years later, I’m working far more at my jobs than I was then, and yet in a few weeks, I’ll have taken 8 months to write a 240k gamebook.

Also…the mechanics of these polls are pretty ridiculous. You can never edit them after posting them, so it means I might have to create an entirely new one (again). I forgot to add Kihbok and Alice to it. T.T

7 Likes

Which RO is your favorite? (For asexual players or players who simply didn’t romance anyone, still feel free to vote on who you think are the most compelling characters out of these eight.)

• Mabelin
  • Rigel
  • Violet
  • Keano
  • Alice
  • Kidas
  • Izzy
  • Jude

0 voters

Aside from the ROs, which characters do you think are the most compelling?

• Killian
  • Zaleth
  • Mowbow
  • Percy
  • Mother / Hadia
  • Father / Theyo
  • Kihbok
  • Melithar
  • Baga
  • Jonaug
  • Blossom
  • Alice
  • King Gellert
  • Izzy
  • Jude
  • Kidas
  • Tabuul
  • Baskar
  • Zyphel
  • Bertrand

0 voters

Excellent to see Mowbow in the rightful number one spot!

4 Likes

Was it ever really in doubt? ;p

Also, all those votes for characters that haven’t been introduced yet tho. :ok_hand:

3 Likes

MAJOR UPDATE:

Chapter 6 has now been posted! It amounted to 31k, bringing the total word count of the demo to 170k. This means that my demo is now much longer than any of my three previous HGs, and there’s still roughly 55k to go. I ran TMB through randomtest, and it looks like the average playthrough of the demo is 48/170k. So that’s a lot of replay ability!

Now, this chapter has something a bit different in store. Any feedback, comments, typo-spotting and bug-spotting are much appreciated!

I already have 14/ ~ 40k for Chapter 7, so hopefully I’ll be finishing that up within the next ten days or so.

Also, thanks to @TinyOnion for pointing out a sea of typos and little coding errors. Those are all fixed now.

25 Likes

Great. Love this game.

what the review thingy means? Was afraid id crash the page, so i ddnt choose it. :fox_face:

1 Like

Thanks!

Don’t worry, [Review] is just there for options that allow you to select them and then decide afterwards if you want to go forward with it. It’s just letting you know that selecting the option isn’t committing to anything. (Like when you’re choosing what type of magic you have or which jobs you have.)

I forgot to add one for the crimson tunic and trousers, but it’s there now.

4 Likes

That new chapter was really good! Even my calm, gentle archer after seeing that flashback had to introduce Killian to a flaming fist! That was pretty provoking.
I also especially loved the Star Wars re-enactment with Percy!

3 Likes

That’ll do it. :slight_smile:

Hehe, I thought it would be an amusing allusion to put in there.

EDIT:

At 18k, Chapter 7 is mostly done aside from the sex scenes/final romance arcs with Rigel, Keano, Mabelin, and Violet. :smirk: :smirk: :scream_cat: :eggplant:

13 Likes

I have 15k left to write, only 8 days to write it, and I’m procrastinating big time. Help.

15 Likes

Continue the hard work :wink:
with so many good quality novels for this competition … i need to start saving some money for future purchase :smiley:

4 Likes

If you finish it on time, I will give you this :cookie:.

5 Likes

I have an extra bottle of vodka from Russia…

1 Like

It’s funny, someone left some vodka at my place and I don’t want it so it’s just been sitting there for weeks. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I have an idea about the procrastination…
Try and write the remainder of it in poetry form, get frustrated, give up, and realize that writing it normally instead is far easier. :grin:

4 Likes

Oh lawdy. I’ve actually been making decent progress, now, at 2k per day. I have everything but the actual sex scenes, now, which should go pretty quickly. :smirk:

9 Likes