The Magician's Burden

I would say the Economics stat.

3 Likes

@Logan3000x
Okay, that’s what I was thinking. I’ll see about having that in Chapter 5.

3 Likes

I was thinking, why not add an option to give your parents some money? What I mean is, in the scene where the MCs mother gives the money after working, she apologizes and explains that the reason is because they are trying to save money because the fathers old wound is acting up again. The options, from what I can gather, are to either accept the money, silently criticize the mother or verbally criticize her. Why not have another option where you can sympathize with her dilemma and tell her to keep the money or (if the player wants to be extra generous) give her a certain amount of money?

9 Likes

@violethikari
That’s a great idea! I’ll add that in tomorrow.

I didn’t expect Mowbow to be one the most popular characters! You guys are funny. :joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat:

@Kristina_NRE and @VioletHikari

Btw, I think in some cases where Zaleth is going to take control, I’m going to give you a few choices on how to react to him internally while he’s taking over. Two of the choices would just be empty threats but the third would be available to people with extremely high Will Power, where you would be able to seize up and stall until he loses control again. (In fact, I think I’ll go ahead and do that for the Percy situation today.)

MINOR UPDATE:

I went back and added another option for how to react when your mother pays you in Chapter 2. I also went back and added a choice with several options for how to react to Zaleth when he takes control over you after you used his powers to defeat Killian in Chapter 3. All of that amounted to about 1k, so now the total word count of the TMT demo is 75k. Now, back to Chapter 4 again!

14 Likes

So, I’ve got big news. I’ve decided to submit The Magician’s Task for Choice of Games’ contest in January. Even though I’ve recently made a concerted (and thus far successful) effort to write 10k words a week instead of 5k like I had been doing for the past two years, it won’t be possible for me to write the entire intended story, which will likely end up being around 500k.

Therefore, I’m going to split the story into at least two books, with TMT being the first one, ending after chapter 7. Even then, it will have 4 detailed romances, a full plot arc, probably 200k words, and more replay ability and character development than my previous trilogy combined.

So far TMT is clocking in at 75k words, so I’ll need to finish writing, testing, and editing the remaining 125k words in the next 4 months. This is a huge decision, so I’d like to hear your thoughts on this!

15 Likes

My thoughts are: @Samuel_H_Young is a good author and should enter the contest if he thinks he can.

and

Another great writer competing with me … I’ll just have to write my story that much better to rise to the competition. :wink:

If you feel you can meet the challenge then I’d encourage you to enter the contest.

6 Likes

@Eiwynn
Thanks for the encouragement! It really helps. :slight_smile:

Good luck on your entry, btw!

2 Likes

I have faith, we can use necromancy, please say we can use?

2 Likes

@reinaldo_pimentel
I’ve made no plans for you to use necromancy but I’m not ruling it out altogether.

2 Likes

@Samuel_H_Young
I have a question, are Percy going to stealing more in future?

1 Like

@Vattena
Possibly! I don’t have anything planned specifically, but it’s part of his character. For example, if you pass the Economy stat check in Chapter 2, you’ll find out he’s been stealing chocolates from your parents’ general store.

1 Like

I see, is it possible for at least make him reduce that habit? I fear he going to get into trouble if he do that too often, and I don’t want that happens to my little brother :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

Absolutely! (20 characters)

1 Like

That a relief then :smile:

2 Likes

Just to let you all know, progress on TMT is going along nicely. So far I have 10k for Chapter 4, and I anticipate it being anywhere from 15-20k, so I’m almost certain I’ll be finishing it up in about a week. I also skipped ahead quite a bit and did about 1k of work on Chapter 7, the shocking and thrilling finale to this installment. Ahem. If I do say so myself.

18 Likes

I’m really enjoying this game so far! Zaleth is such a fun and annoying character to have around. I don’t know why, but I really enjoy situations where, for whatever reason, two characters that don’t get along have to stay in close proximity and endure each other’s company. It makes for such an entertaining premise.

I’ve only noticed one little error so far. During the scene where you come back late for dinner, the dad says:

“It’s time you show a little respect around here, girl! You live under my roof, so you follow me rules!”

I’m guessing that’s meant to be my rules. Then again, he might just be slurring 'cos he’s drunk. :blush:

6 Likes

@avery_moore
Thanks, I’m glad you’re liking it so far!

Yeah, I like those situations, too, and they’re fun to write.

Nice spot. I’ll fix that typo when I get home.

5 Likes

does the "/7 " means that 7 is up or that is “3 chapters out of 7”?

1 Like

Logan3000x
It means that there are 7 planned chapters and 3 are currently out on the demo. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Btw, for anyone curious about how the romances with Rigel/Keano/Violet/Mabelin can go in TMT

Chapters 1, 2, and 3: Flirting
Chapters 4 and 5: Kissing
Chapter 6: Sexy stuff.
Chapter 7: You’ll be too busy fighting demons to do anything.

17 Likes