The Magician's Burden

Nah he doesn’t care about his dad’s death but poor sweet mowbow

3 Likes

Yes.

@GenecoInheritor
He cares about both of them but Mowbow was his whole world.

5 Likes

Mowbow was the bestest the demons will pay. By the time I’m finished either Violet will be sitting on the throne as queen of all demons or it’ll be the ending of Doom where we stay in hell to slaughter Every demon we meet. >:)

4 Likes

But apparently since Mowbow’s character didn’t effect the climax of the story, she was useless. :roll_eyes:

But I’ll have the kitty’s haters know that her relationship meter does effect things:

• You can only have the privilege of playing laser pointer with her if she likes you
  • Near the end of the story, if she likes you, she brings you a mutilated shrew as a gift. If she doesn’t like you, she vomits on your boots. :smirk_cat:
12 Likes

Message to Mowbow haters
images%20(13)

3 Likes

Obvious sarcasm is obvious. :slight_smile:

I think one of the things certain readers don’t understand is that sometimes the point of reading is to have an effect on the reader themselves, not necessarily the gameplay.

The other thing I wanted to say about some people who were offering non-constructive criticism. This, to me, is a problem of expectations. You can’t order an apple pie and then complain to the waiter why it doesn’t taste like steak. First off, cows are friends. Secondly, why do some people automatically assume that this is going to be some sort of power fantasy where the MC is an all powerful overlord and can wipe out enemies in the blink of an eye all while laughing manically like “MUAHAHAHAHA!” It’s not that kind of story. It was never advertised as that type of story. It’s a very special story, and thank you for writing it, Samuel.

9 Likes

Exaaactly. T.T They act like it was written by a cat walking over a keyboard rather than just being a story with a target audience that they don’t happen to be in. Ah, well. I don’t expect that to change.

Thank you!

3 Likes

When we get stronger I. The sequel and the enemies get stronger as well will old enemies get weaker? Like will the peoplens level like us or will we be facility g squires who can smack us around but peons will be easy?

Most of the old villains will be the same level of strength that they started with. So in V2, it would take the MC, Violet, Mabelin, Keano, Jonaug, and Alice all working together to defeat Baga.

On the other hand, if the MC from V2 faced Killian, they would easily beat him without a scratch, and Kihbok would be an even match for them. And remember that Kihbok killed multiple gaurds, Verim, and Petre, and then almost killed Killian, the MC, and Violet. So that’s a pretty big power up for the MC.

6 Likes

Well, remember that constructive sincere criticism is key, Even is not a pleasant thing to hear. Maybe, in next volume You should emphasize is not a power fantasy . But probably they won’t read the highlights anyway

2 Likes

Yeah, I really appreciate constructive criticism. It’s what helped me go from writing Trial of the Demon Hunter to writing TMB, The Enchanter’s Misery, Mass Mother Murderer, etc.

I thought the summary in the app stores conveyed that this wasn’t a power fantasy pretty well. “You are a magician in a small village, living a pretty normal life. Deal with bullies, work at your jobs, and have fun with other villagers, too.” Etc.

5 Likes

Maybe you need bold letters THIS IS NOT A POWER FANTASY… NO IT IS NOT… SERIOUSLY, DON’T PUT ONE STAR BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT OP…
Sometimes i think nobody read the game tags are buying

4 Likes

The beginning of the next book:

I lay on the ground blood dripping from my nose and mouth. It feels like everything is broken. “I thought… I was getting stronger…” I think and shake my head. Even hurts to think. " No matter how strong you get there will always be someone stronger to beat you down" Zaleths voice mocking me says. “But do I have to run into them? Why can’t I run into an angry bunny?” I complain sitting up. “Because you’re an idiot… Sorry I have trouble pronouncing Hee Row and you run into trouble instead of away from it. It’s only going to get harder.”

4 Likes

Haha, literally. I feel like this is what they expect:

BUT LITTLE DID THE PUNY VILLAGERS KNOW THAT THE MC WAS TRULY A SECRET ASSASSIN WHO WAS JUST WAITING THEIR ENTIRE LIFE FOR A DEMON HORDE TO ARRIVE SO THEY COULD FINALLY REVEAL THEIR TRUE POWERS AND SLAUGHTER POWERFUL, ANCIENT DEMONS WITH EASE!!:fire::fire::fire:

11 Likes

Exactly that’s what they expected and Mow as secret ninja sensei

2 Likes

8 Likes

Judging by their reviews they probably thought their character was Killian. They imagined that they were the bully instead of the victim they could do what they want because they’re the star. They’d probably cry about being enslaved in reckless space pirates or the other more serious game but also in space. Your character has a kinda cushy life if you think about it. A little brother loving if flawed parents , a cat, a job working at the family store. You aren’t some abandoned orphan surviving on the streets fighting for every meal. No sword is forged without the heat and your life is pretty cool Killian up until recently was your only threat.

7 Likes

Exactly! So there wasn’t a true catalyst for the MC to become extremely bad ass. At the climax of TMB, there is that catalyst, so the MC does begin to become what people expected them to be from the getgo.

4 Likes

And it’s going to take them time to build up. Remember Luke Skywalker was a whiney little brat for most of if not all of A New Hope. But he became a badass Jedi by the time of return of the jedi.

Bruce Wayne didn’t become Batman over night ( especially not in Gotham tv series) he evolved into it.

It takes time

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly.

I guess the good knews is that the rest of the series should theoretically have a more positive reception since people know what to expect, now. Not that all three books are as relaxed as TMB is, but Volumes 2 and 3 are to a lesser degree.

3 Likes