The Magician's Burden

I was hoping it would come out on my birthday, July 20th, but I guess that’s good enough. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Hey i saw that too… don’t worry, i reserve enough money to buy The Magician’s Burden on august 16th and next week’s Choice of Magic as well :grin:

5 Likes

Congrats!!! :fire::fire::fire::fire:

I’ll mark it in my calendar :slight_smile:

4 Likes

it’s now available on Steam:

18 Likes

oh i just realised…the 16th is the 17th for me… rip :pensive:

2 Likes

It’s up on Android! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.hostedgames.magiciansburden

Give me reviews and you can get headbutts from Mowbow :innocent::smirk_cat:

17 Likes

meow

6 Likes

I think I will wait on other reviews before buying this.

I read through the demo, but nothing I read captivated me enough to read more. And, for a book called Magician’s Burden, there’s very little magic in the story so far. The phrase ‘start as you mean to go on’ is rather important here, and the start of the book is rather mundane; featuring more real life stuff than anything magical. Perhaps others would be more receptive to the slice of life elements, but they just do not excite me.

Maybe there is a lot more magic deeper into the story, but I do not have the confidence to read on. If I am right, and there is much more magic deeper in, then do talk about it, future reviewers.

TMB definitely has a more relaxed plot than most of the other stories here. It’s mostly about the romance and characters rather than any big battles or wild adventures. However, that’s not to say that there aren’t crazy magical battles later on.

That said, I think there’s quite a bit of magic in the story, from Zaleth the demon living in your head, to the magic that the MC and other characters use for fun, problem solving, or combat.

I’m actually kind of annoyed at where Choice of Games decided to end the demo. It’s a strange and ineffective spot that I didn’t choose myself. I wanted it to be in Chapter 3 where the MC has a “boss battle” with Killian. I believe that would display more magic and action and give the reader a better idea of what kind of stuff this story has to offer. Ah well.

I think that the story picks up in terms of romance, tension, and magic as it goes along, but at the same time, if you didn’t like the demo too much, there’s no guarantee your opinion will change later on. The story certainly isn’t for everyone, and as you noted, it is largely a slice of life game, albeit a one with heavy romance, fantasy, and bullying themes.

Thanks for your feedback and for trying the game out.

12 Likes

I was under the impression that they allowed you to decide where the demo ends. I’m quite confused.

If you can’t work out where the demo ends with @RETowers, it changes the dynamics of the story and the way it presents itself.

4 Likes

They did with my three previous HGs. I guess it’s possible they missed the *comment where I indicated where I’d like the demo to end. Though even in that case, it would be pretty easy to reach out to me and clarify where I wanted the paywall at.

@GenericGem
Oh! I also wanna add that the replay ability is pretty massive, so you might barely see certain characters in one playthrough but then see them all the time in other playthroughs.

That’s also the case with magic, to a lesser extent. Different hobbies and jobs offer more or less options to use magic or see others perform magic, so that could skew the reader’s view a bit, too.

5 Likes

Did someone say romance!? Sold!

6 Likes

Wish I had money, but every penny is going towards getting me a ride for school. (FIRST YEAR OF COLLEGE SO EXCITED!)

2 Likes

Quick question?.. is this a bug or is it intended and that I’m looking at the wrong stats?

Edit: Nvm. I realised it also said 60 extrovert needed as well

1 Like

Save money by applying for, receiving, and maintaining grants!
(So you can have money to spend on CoG and HG titles, while making sure to be on top of your time management skills.) :grin:
College in the U.S.?

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/grants-scholarships/pell

1 Like

I thought it was pretty good. Went for as high Zaleth relationship as possible while still being a good guy, which is apparently pretty hard since he doesn’t approve of fighting the demon at the end. Only thing is that I didn’t get a save prompt at the end. Are there any future plans for a save system or did I just get a bug?

1 Like

Actually everything, books and the semester, is already paid for by my well of cousin. (Eternally grateful for her) and the next three semesters. But yeah I do need to look into other reasourses so I don’t get her of anything too large.

3 Likes

Save systems aren’t made until the sequel is in the publishing queue.

I’m glad you enjoyed it!

1 Like

Rad, I’ll wait until then for the “ideal” playthrough then. Looking forward to it!

1 Like

:tada::tada::tada::tada::tada:

sniff

If you see a review titled “resurrect Mowbow” you’ll know who it is.

3 Likes