The Magician's Burden

I think I used destruction magic and not Zaleth’s powers from what I remember? Not sure though
You couldn’t really beat her either way, Zaleth is weaker than her after all so even with his full power you’d still be weaker.

1 Like

When is this game being released

Sometime this year is all I can guess, for now. It’s currently being judged for CoG’s competition.

6 Likes

So, TMB has 231k words total, 60k per playthrough, and it will have several illustrations as well. Taking all that and the quality of writing, plot, and characters into account, how much do you think I should charge for it? How much is it worth, in your opinion?

• $3
  • $4
  • $5
  • $6
  • Something else

0 voters

3 Likes

15 Likes

I was going to put that down but I’m way too modest. :smirk:

Btw, if you voted for “something else”, let me what you’d suggest.

4 Likes

As a fellow author, I feel the price charged will never be compensation enough for the game provided.

As a consumer, I, of course, want it free. :woman_shrugging:

One thing is that you have an established price point in Steam already with your prior titles and as such deviation from that level of pricing will be seen as a negative there. If you do want to raise pricing to $6 then the community there would expect VN graphics and such…

6 Likes

True, haha!

Well, Trial of the Demon Hunter and Foundation of Nightmares are $3 on Steam and Captive of Fortune is $4 over there (they’re all $2 everywhere else, with CoF also having a $2 IAP.) CoG bumps the price up on Steam, and at 80k, 100k, and 140k, those HGs are far shorter than TMB. (TMB is nearly 3x the length of TotDH, and probably more than that in terms of quality.) So I’d feel a higher price would be justified.

Also, I just wanna say that even as a consumer, I would gladly pay fair prices for entertainment. For example, I fully expected Wayhaven to be charged at $6, a price most readers would probably be fine with. It started out at $3, which was much lower than I anticipated. And although it would, of course, be nice as consumers to get CoGs for free, that would mean CoG couldn’t run as a business and many of us authors, me included, would move onto something else. I wouldn’t write the equivalent of 460 pages just to get like $5 off ads, haha. But, I know I’m preaching to the choir. :innocent:

If any of you are interested, here’s an example: my first royalty check after FoN came out was around $730. Not much, but significant. I made $0.57 off ads. :joy::ok_hand:

6 Likes

Well…i think in a way, with a fair and lower amount of fees…it will allow more HG/CoG fans to buy more (if not ALL ) of the titles :slight_smile:

I do agree that all authors deserve to earn more from their story … however , with a higher price for all titles, it will ultimately result in readers to selectively choose the titles they want ( or afford ) to buy, instead of using the money to try out other titles from lesser known author … example i have $10 , if title A cost $6 … then i will purchase it first , then i need to wait for some time to earn $2 more to buy my second title… in this case, i may left out title 3… if all 3 titles are $3, then i could spend all my money to buy them all to try all out…

so in this case, lower price ensure new or lesser known author(s) to have a chance to sell their titles as well and thus encourage more new authors to publish their title …

That is just my personal opinion though, but i feel lower fees will allow most authors to share the currently limited market of choice interaction novels :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s definitely a valid strategy, too. I’m probably going to try to sell TMB for $4 because I feel that’s a fair and also accessible price.

3 Likes

Yes… i will sure support your new title :smile:

this month, i think i can still buy all 5 titles :smile:

3 Likes

69.99 + 20.99 DLC (Warning: no refunds)

1 Like

What could possibly go wrong? XD

Btw, everyone, thanks for voting in my polls. I see that far more people (relatively) voted that they used Zaleth’s powers against Kihbok than they did against Killian. This makes sense, as the demon is clearly magnitudes more powerful than your old bully. However, I’m wondering if the big difference is solely based on that, or if it’s also because of the stat checks. Were the other options too hard or were there stat checks tough but not ridiculous?

2 Likes

Are the trial of the demon hunter games good? I haven’t played them but they seem mediocre according to reviews. Is your character there weak or strong? The main issue I had with TMB is how weak and useless you are, it’s hard to raise stats and even with high stats your character is really weak.

I played some games where you are a human and the rest all have powers (like Magium, Community College Hero etc) yet you’re still pretty badass and strong while here you’re a mage but still really weak.
And I remember the stat checks were pretty hard, when I tried to run away instead of attacking the demon I had no options but to rely on Zaleth, and when I attacked I think Destruction Magic was the only option.

I’m personally proud of my trilogy and I think those games are decent, but I also acknowledge that they have problems, messy coding and short lengths being the main ones, in my opinion. But yes, based off of reviews, they’re mediocre.

Well, it’s a bit strange. In my trilogy, the MC is a regular human, but one that wrecks on a goblin, three witches, a vampire, ten bandits, a necromancer, a troll, and an ogre in 2 books…and then gets defeated by a Master demon (one several times stronger than Kihbok and one who can beat dozens of people at a time). At that point, I had some reviews calling the MC weak and useless, which I thought was amusing.

In TMB, the MC, while a mage, is admittedly less powerful than the one in my other series. (Magic isn’t everything. Mabelin is also more powerful, for example.) I realize the MC in TMB isn’t exactly going around tearing people apart, but this is kind of what I’m going for. It’s a story of growth and perseverance against powerful foes, not a power fantasy.

Killian is over six feet tall and weighing like 300 pounds, not to mention just a savage asshole, and then Kihbok is the strongest demon Orilon has ever seen. That said, the MC will be doubling their powers in Enigma, but they’ll also be facing even stronger enemies, like Baga, the most powerful witch in Lume.

I didn’t really have many complaints about stat checks being too hard overall during the beta phase (and I believe I fixed some of the instances where they were too high), but if they are too hard, then I’d really like to fix that before the game is released, because I know how detrimental that can be to ratings.

6 Likes

Stat checks were tough (for me) but I didn’t use powers against Killian because of that reason. It was because he’s just a misguided human that I can just play around with and humiliate instead of going berserker…

2 Likes

The MC there doesn’t seem bad then I guess.
By the way why is Killian bullying you? I mean you were like 16 and he was like 25, don’t he have a job or anything better to do with his life instead of bullying teenagers? Usually people bully others around their age and not kids.

2 Likes

Nope. :stuck_out_tongue: Just a cruel idiot, really.

4 Likes

Is he like really fat or something o.o 300 pounds is like 136kg.
By the way won’t people look down at him for hitting a kid, especially if your character is a small girl?
In real life people would have interfered in a situation like this

1 Like

Mainly just chunky with a lot of muscle beneath the fat.

You’re right, of course, but that unfortunately isn’t always the case. In real life, I got the same treatment from three people named Alex, Vernon, and Peter. You can probably guess who they are in the story. That went on for 5 years without anyone doing a thing.

9 Likes