The Magician's Burden

Thanks, that means a lot.

Yes, there will be 3 sequels.

4 Likes

A quadrology? Whoa! That’s definitely on the list.

1 Like

Seems relevant somehow. :thinking:

4 Likes

I thoroughly enjoyed TMB and thought it was well worth the 5 dollars. Seriously can’t wait for the sequel and more content from the series as well as from TEM and MMM!

Your way of storytelling and just your works in general are so immersive and wondrous. :grin:

Please keep up the amazing work and good luck!!

4 Likes

Thanks so much. :smiley: I’m making rapid progress on MMM and the others are waiting in line.

5 Likes

And I’m alive! Just wanted to drop by and show my love for this game by sketchin’up the whole
lake picnic scene with my MC and Keano…buuuut, I got lazy, so here’s not even a quarter of it.

13 Likes

Oof. That’s beautiful. New profile pic for me! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I had fun with this one. The characters were generally well written, and the small victories we had were fun to read. I also liked the little moments at your job and with the characters. I spent most of my time with Keano and Mabelin. Keano was a total dudebro, and easily became my best friend. Wasn’t a huge fan of Mabelin at first because she seemed so epic and untouchable, easily beating me in everything, but eventually I came around and she became my LI. I was unsurprised to see her arrogance and sarcasm not even disappear during the intimate scene (which was excellent, by the way) but I would’ve liked to see a more tender side of her, though that may be an unrealistic expectation. The MC seemed a tad weak, but it didn’t bother me once I got my ego out of the way. It also made sense in the context of the story since you’re just an average Joe.
I do have one question though; Is it possible to beat Mabelin in the duel in this game? If not, will we ever get to her level later in the series? I like to make warrior characters, but I’m afraid I’ll always play second fiddle to her.
At any rate, this was a great story and I’m looking forward to continuing the journey through it!

5 Likes

Thanks so much! I’m glad you enjoyed it.

In V2, the MC and the ROs are gonna train with Melithar the wizard. Mabelin will become even more skilled with weapons and general combat, but the MC’s magical power will double and so will their skills, depending on what choices they make.

So I’d say Mabelin would still be better at swordfighting, but the MC would be a lot closer to her in terms of physical skill, and combined with their magic, they would actually be even stronger than her.

In the duel, you can hurt her a little if you pass a check, and not at all if you don’t pass the checks. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Well, after getting a slew of bad reviews for the supposed lack of character development in TMB, I’ve decided that’s the last time I’ll be making seperate RO paths. When you can see a lot of a certain characters in one playthrough and not much of them in another, you run the risk of a lot of people assuming they’re just not present in the story.

In the future, I’ll have interactions with the characters be more linear so they each get roughly the same screentime in each playthrough.

I intended it to be seen as asset to choose who you interact with most, but it seems like too many people view it as a negative.

Does that mean I’ll be forced to interact with characters I don’t care about?

Just like in every interactive novel, yeah. :man_shrugging: To my knowledge, TMB is the only one split into fourths based off of ROs.

That’s a shame I loved that about it. If I didn’t want to deal with Violet, shy guy, or tree man unless from work I didn’t have to.

3 Likes

I purposely avoided everyone but Violet and my family. Now that Percy is traumatized I’m going to have to turn him I a dark servant of Violet like me. Well… Not exactly like me and Violet…

I wonder if you could put in some Author’s Notes in the stats menu that explains that? You really really really shouldn’t have to do that, but I figure it would be a quick and easy fix so that people will know about it and have no excuse to be unaware.

1 Like

People can be pretty dumb. That said I think we should only be forced to interact with all the characters if Sam really wants us to see the other scenes. Because if I’m not railroaded it’s going to be all Violet all the time ;p

6 Likes

It will just be like in The Enchanter’s Misery or Mass Mother Murderer where you generally interact with everyone a set amount aside from date and sex scenes.

Don’t get me wrong, it was fun creating dozens of different mini-scenes, but when that garners a sizeable loss in rating points, I have to decide whether all that extra work is worth it.

5 Likes

Ya gotta do what is best for you ohana. If a more linear path is best so be it. It’s going to be amazing no matter what you do :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Having this type of comment on Google Play doesn’t mean that most readers have this opinion.
I mean, the app’s rating is 4.2, right? It is quite high … and the people who tend to draw attention in the comments are the minority with extreme opinions.
why doesn’t you make a pool about it? anyway, it’s your decision and, as GenecoInheritor said, it’s obvius that anyway the result will be good =)

3 Likes

Maybe not the majority of readers, but even just a handful of 1 and 2 star reviews can tank your rating. I’ve had several comments like that on the forum, too, and considering many of them said that the family (who you see the same amount each playthrough) were good characters and the ROs (who you see a variable amount) were poor characters, it’s clear to me that the replay value is the culprit.

A 4.2 is good, but when a lot of extra work ends up hurting the overall rating rather than boosting it, I just don’t feel like going that route again.

4 Likes