The Magician's Burden

Well, I’ll just say I would’ve been thrilled to see that option. I mean, it’s funny, isn’t it? And kinda fitting.
Because when asked why he kept tormenting the MC, I think Killian said something like ‘because I can and you’re too weak to do anything about it’. And I also remember him saying something like ‘anyone would’ve done it if they’re stronger’, or at least imply it.
And in this case, I’m healing him just because I have the power to. Despite being in a very good position to harm him (I don’t think the MC was lying much when they said no one actually gives a damn about Killian, so I probably could hurt him and get away with it like the MC already did), I instead heal him because I see those bruises and stuff and know that I could do something about that.
So in a way, it was saying ‘fuck you, I can do better, and so could you but you didn’t’ to Killian’s whole thinking.

3 Likes

I love it. I’ll add that option into TMB.

2 Likes

Just wrote the last page of the fourth and last book in this series, The Magician’s Misery.
._.

(Though I should clarify that I haven’t written the other 750k after TMB. :innocent: )

8 Likes

So you’re written the beginning, you’ve written the end but you haven’t written the middle?..good job. Now just throw in maebelin here and there(I mean every chapter) and I’ll buy the whole series.

3 Likes

Sounds like a plan. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s good to know what the end will be so you can keep it in mind throughout the rest of the series! Plus, I’m impatient as fuck.

Also, some news, everyone:

Instead of just focusing on Winter of the Bovine until it’s finished, I’ve decided to also focus half of my time on The Magician’s Enigma so I don’t get burned out on either of them. This means progress on both as a whole will be a bit slower, but they’ll also be finished at around the same time, and you all will be able to see the sequel to TMB sooner.

10 Likes

cant find the link anymore wonder why?

@AlexFalkor
It’s not avaiable anymore because it has been completed. Author sent it to CoG for editing/proof-reading/etc so it can be released at a later date.

4 Likes

ah makes sense to me

Yeah, I submitted it for the Choice of Games Interactive Fiction Competition.

After it’s published, I’ll be putting up a demo for the sequel, The Magician’s Enigma.

6 Likes

Beautiful. :grin:

You know the best part about being a Light Mage who confronts Killian but also heals him is, though? It’s that even Killian already seems to know his personal justifications for tormenting the Mage MC are completely BULLCRAP. If he really did believe that line of thinking is utterly solid, being healed by the Light Mage wouldn’t break him the way it clearly does on both occasions (especially in the jail scene). Being healed by someone he tormented really forces him to face how despicable and utterly pathetic he is as a person. Because you’re right with those words: Killian could’ve done better. But in the end, his character was much weaker than a Light Mage who heals him, and he realizes that well enough on his own.

And now with the death of his friends and the most ironic karmic encounter with the Kihbok (didn’t know Killian said those things when asked about why he did it, but it’s great to know that the deadly encounter he experienced was much more ironic than I originally thought), he’s got no one. His actions made him highly despised by a great deal of people, and I get the feeling that some people will take advantage of the fact that he’s going to have to face many things on his own for the most part and doesn’t really have anyone to watch his back anymore (not that either of his friends had enough of a backbone to stick around when the going got tough until the end).

I really do wonder what he’s going to do next after all the stuff that happened in the Magician’s Burden.:thinking:

6 Likes

My insomnia won’t let me sleep, and I also find great joy in making lists. So, I made a list of all of the stats, and how many times they are used choices. (*selectable_if) Now, a lot of the stats were also used for differing content and flavor text, but this list is purely for *selectable_ifs

It’s plain to see that some stats are much more useful than others, though they will gradually even out as the series progresses. However, if you all have any specific ideas for how to implement some of the more neglected stats in Burden, then I would love to hear them.

Killian: 0
Sincere: 0
Sarcastic: 0
Avarice: 0
Callous: 0
Geography: 0
Cautious: 0
Daring: 0
Compassionate: 1
Introverted: 1
Percy: 1
Mowbow: 1
Mother: 1
Father: 1
Economics: 2
Agriculture: 2
History: 3
Zaleth: 4
Long Ranged Weapons: 4
Willpower: 4
Diplomacy: 5
Extroverted: 6
Nature: 6
Stealth: 6
Melee: 6
Intimidation: 6
Arcana: 7
Deception: 7
Warcraft: 9
Speed: 9
Stealth Magic: 9
Mana/ Miscellaneous Magic: 10
Intelligence: 11
Strength: 12
Destruction Magic: 14
Light Magic: 15
Rigel: 18
Coins: 18
Violet: 21
Keano: 22
Mabelin: 22
Charisma: 40 -_-

5 Likes

I saw that if you healed your father is raised the Father relationship stat, what’s the use of it? I mean he’s going to die anyway so there’s no use of having high relationship with him. Anyway Charisma seems really useful though I guess it would be less useful in the actual war cause you wouldn’t be really able to persuade hostile demons…

3 Likes

There’s no particular use at that point, but that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t improve your relationship with him, regardless of how long he had left at that point.

True. Most of the charisma checks come from flirting with the ROs, but still.

4 Likes

Wow. I made actual contribution to someone else’s game. That’s awesome! Now I’m going to put TMB on the top of my ‘buy when I’m old enough to work’ list. :laughing:Also, definitely going to follow (and buy) the whole series as well.

Why thank you.:relaxed:
And well said.

True. And well, I imagine the MC would maybe feel better knowing that their father no longer feel resentful about them having magic. And that they did good for him.

Or maybe they won’t. It’s the least of their concerns after all.

Anyways, I really enjoyed reading and choosing the interactions between the MC and their family in general.

By the way, I noticed that apparently after you beat Killian, you can be nice or heal him and Zaleth would complain about it but his stats wouldn’t decrease. Is that intentional?L

6 Likes

Haha, thanks!

I’ll look into it. I may have just forgot to put the Zaleth decrease in parenthesis.

4 Likes

Where is the link to the game? On the old thread?

The link has been taken down, since the game has been submitted for publication.

5 Likes

Awww. I didn’t even get a chance to read it as I was suspended :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

You missed the chance of a lifetime. Tsk tsk.

4 Likes

What a shame…
Oh wow! I suddenly have 2,500,000 bitcoins in my virtual pocket. I’m sure you see how shiny they are… Ya know… If you just let me take a peek at the story… They are all yours!! Pinky promise :wink::joy::joy:

3 Likes