The Magician's Burden

Could you become powerful enough to control Zaleth or even make him go away? Also would it be possible to learn more than 1 type of magic instead of only having either light, stealth or destruction?
Combining them could be very useful in the war. You could use stealth magic to become invisible and sneak into the battleground then heal your friends who are hurt or throw a fireball and destroy a group of unsuspecting enemies. Combining light and destruction is good too, you can cover Mabelin or something from long range with destruction spells then heal her if she gets hurt.

2 Likes

No, Zaleth is a very talented hijacker and that would require immense power to banish him from you safely. I will say that Melithar tries to in Enigma.

That would be really cool, of course, but I think I’m going to stick with magic types. Only wizards can do a lot outside of their class of magic, and plus, having to choose between 3 types of magic provides replay ability.

4 Likes

What is the difference between a magician and a wizard? Won’t you become a wizard too if you get trained enough?

1 Like

Magicians are low-level magic users who got powers when they were born through random magical discharge from the Netherworld.

Wizards are geniuses who have discovered how to tap into the magical discharge around them and bend it to their will. They are exceedingly rare and there are only two of them currently in Lume: Melithar the Eccentric and Iyus the Selfless. You’ll only meet the former in this series.

6 Likes

May I ask why we won’t be able to meet Lyus?

Future Episodes :wink: :two_hearts:

1 Like

Oooh gotcha, thanks @Eiwynn

1 Like

How powerful are Melithar and Violet compared to strong demons ? And about demons in general, where do they come from and how were they created? Is it possible for more than 1 demon to hijack you or they’d have to battle Zaleth first, and could Violet do something to protect you? And finally can demons live without a body? The demon said that if she kills you Zaleth will go to the Netherworld, will he be able to come back and posses somebody else or he’ll get stuck there forever?

3 Likes

Here are the demon ranks:

Peon: (Like Zaleth) able to kill 1-4 humans easily
Vermin: (like Kihbok) able to kill 5-9 humans easily
Cretin: (like Zyphel, the general of the demon army who will be in the 3rd book) able to kill 10-19 humans easily
Master: (like Mendax from my HG trilogy) able to kill 20-49 humans easily)
Sovereign: able to kill 50+ humans easily

As far as strength goes, Violet would be a Vermin and Melithar would be a Sovereign.

Demons come from another dimension called the Netherworld. Portals between Lume and the Netherworld were created by powerful demons long ago, linking the two worlds together.

No, a human can only be possessed or hijacked by one demon at a time. All are able to possess, but hijacking is a more difficult and rare skill.

Demons have bodies of their own, but can only stay on Lume for a limited amount of time without a vessel. The more powerful the demon, the less time they have.

Each time a demon is banished back to the Netherworld, they lose strength. Zaleth would be incredibly weak and quickly die.

If you were possessed, Violet could exorcise you by defeating you physically and then forcing the demon out with a command from her Demon Book of Names. Since you’re just hijacked, she isn’t even aware of Zaleth, despite being a powerful and experienced demon huntress.

@michaelcrank
Iyus spends all of his time presiding over a massive magical prison on the other side of Lume. So far he is only mentioned in Demons Among Men. Melithar is in that series as well as this one.

8 Likes

1 Like

The Peon’s Guide to Breakups:
or, How to Keep your Vessel From Being an Even Bigger Idiot
by Zaleth

Life outside the Netherworld offers all sorts of lovely opportunities for mayhem. But you can’t stick needles in squishy, soft, breakable people when your vessel is mooning over some other monkey. Fortunately, the following five ‘lover’ archetypes offer good opportunities for maintaining your vessel’s attention I MEAN crushing their spirit.

The Tree Rat: Outdoorsy sort, painfully cheery due to overindulgence in narcotics. If your vessel is gullible, suggest that the Rat’s frequent vomiting is a sign of demonic possession. If not, suggest that alcoholics suffer from erectile dysfunction. If all else fails, arrange an accident during climbing.

Bookworm: Frightened, self-loathing, and not really worth noticing. Best to hope they go away on their own.

Hairless Monkey: Violent, greedy, and little to no interest in human morality. If the vessel must have another monkey, make it this one.

Unnamed fairy (see Book 2):…What? How would that even work, anatomically? I don’t even-

Knight in Dusty Armor: WHAT ARE YOU DOING STOP TOUCHING MY VESSEL LIKE THAT IMMEDIATELY

(The rest of the document is bloodstained and illegible.)

19 Likes

@anon49824592
THIS IS NOW CANON

Zaleth compared to most demons = Rigel

7 Likes

@anon49824592

I’d like to give you this golden pen for that eye-opening book. :grinning:

Hands over the golden pen

I’d also like to give you this currently unconscious demon. :sweat_smile:

Holds out a passed out Zaleth in the same way one would hold a dirty rag

Apparently Leto’s Zaleth tried out that passage about how handle the Tree Rat (A.K.A Keano, Leto’s boyfriend), and Leto found out what the little demon was scheming. The following response from the young Light Mage was not pretty (to say the least about the matter).

7 Likes

Why is Zaleth so different from the other demons? Does it have something to do with why he wanted to get out of the Netherworld so badly? Also where does our character stand on the demon rank? ALSO YOU’RE A GODDAMN TEASER! If I find out Zaleth is a RO in the next book, I’m dropping every NPC in a ditch and go for him instead!

5 Likes

He was a baby when he left the Netherworld, and the 18 years he has spent in Lume have made him MUCH softer than other demons, like Kihbok for example. Regardless of how tough demons are, though, it’s basically terrible for all of them in the Netherworld except for Masters and Sovereigns who are all the other demons’ cruel overlords. And obviously it’s worse the lower your rank.

Currently the MC is a Peon, though in Enigma and Enemy, you’ll be a Vermin.

Hahaha. :joy:

Okay, I fixed another couple dozen typos. Thanks for to those who pointed them out! I’ve taken the demo down, since TMB has been submitted. However, you can expect the demos for Winter of the Bovine and The Magician’s Enigma to be up later this year.

Thanks so much to everyone who beta tested, especially @elvesforthewin @anon49824592 @HomingPidgeon @Okami-Nora @Eiwynn @Kristina_NRE @VioletHikari @TinyOnion @AmericanShakespeare and @Umbreonpanda . You all will be credited as beta testers when TMB comes out. :slight_smile: If you feel like I missed your name, let me know and I shall scrutinize your case heavily.

EDIT:
Wait… wut. ._. the link still works despite me deleting TMB off Dashingdon. Help.

9 Likes

attempts to cough politely and breaks into a violent coughing fit, somehow managing to slowly expel an entire live salmon in the proccess

5 Likes

Subtle :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

looks at the coughed up salmon Can… Can you like… Cough up a steak for me?

7 Likes

You guys are disgusting.

5 Likes

Hey, don’t judge me. I’m hungry right now waiting on dinner to be finished. Lol

1 Like