The Lure of the Gallows (W.I.P.) [Update 9/15]

Hey everyone!

I started working on my first ever interactive fiction game earlier this year, which I named The Lure of the Gallows. Since this is my first ever game and I’m still not used to the coding involved, I would love and appreciate any feedback or advice that could help me improve the game.

In The Lure of the Gallows, you are the last living seer in Washington Bay after a mysterious fire burns your family home to the ground. As you investigate the circumstances of your family’s murder and delve deeper into the corruption of your hometown, you begin to realize that the secrets of your ancestors may be the only thing keeping your town together…

Since the game is aimed towards young adults, there are no heavy themes that are either violent or sexual. There is some mention of murder since the plot revolves around it, but there are no graphic details! Also, there is no sexual content, but there are brief mentions of promiscuous encounters of one of the main characters who is an incubus (kind of his thing, really).

UPDATE(S)

• Uploaded the next part, Chapter One, which clocks in at 25,153 words
  • Updated the game’s official summary to give more surprise to the main characters you counter

If you have any questions you can privately message me on Tumblr or right on the forum. There’s an F.A.Q and extra info on the game’s Tumblr page as well. :slight_smile:

DEMO: https://dashingdon.com/go/2896
TUMBLR: https://lureofthegallowsgame.tumblr.com/

193 Likes

Really enjoyed the small bit I’ve read so far, so great work. I found the premise really intriguing and I’m looking forward to see how it turns out. A seer is an interesting twist so that should be good. One question about the stats though, there’s an opposed pair of sight versus intuition. Is that eyesight or something like mage sight?

2 Likes

This is a pretty solid read to me so far. I really want to see how this turns out.

If I have anything to comment on though…personally, I’d prefer getting to see what the main characters are like over time by their actions when meeting them rather than have a debriefing summary prior to it.

1 Like

does the demo end at ‘I wish I had listened’ ? or is there more and its bugging for meh ?

2 Likes

Not sure, I have the same problem as well. Though, it is a good chance that it does stop there since there’s only 7k+ words.

2 Likes

hope see what going down this story like going be good read

Thank you for playing! The next update should be up by the end of next week at the latest.:slight_smile:

The ‘Sight’ stat is based on if the MC depends on their visions of the future. The ‘Intuition’ stat is based on if the MC depends on the present clues instead of just their visions. The player can choose to depend on their Seer abilities or their own investigation skills. Or a balance of both!

Thanks for playing the demo and letting me know what you think! :slight_smile:

Oops, that was my bad. I forgot to code for the finish for the demo. I can fix it when I get home, sorry for the confusion!

Thank you for playing the demo! :slight_smile:

I see what you mean. I should update the summary so it doesn’t give too much about the characters now that the demo is posted. I personally always like to be surprised when I play.

Thank you for the feedback, and thanks for playing the demo! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Sounds interesting it dose

Deeply interested in this story already. Very intriguing so far! I understand how coding can be challenging, I wish you luck with working on this story!

I found this through tumblr since I’m following other development blogs over there too. I like the premise a lot. The romance interests seem very nice too! I can’t wait to explore more of Washington Bay and meet more characters!

1 Like

I really enjoyed the new update! Leo is such a sweetheart :relaxed: And I really liked the other characters too!

2 Likes

absolutely loved the demo! I was immediately enamoured with the characters, they’re super strong and a big draw. the plot and premise are also super interesting, and I can’t wait to see more of this!!

1 Like

Found this through Tumblr and I have to admit I do not regret reading it

2 Likes

I love this!
And Leo is such a sweetheart.

Gotta say that I’m glad I’m not the only one to have found this game on Tumblr.

2 Likes

I really liked this! The beginning (“any remaining seer in Washington Bay won’t live to see the new year.”) was chilling, and the characters we’ve met so far seem lovely & lovable. :grin: I’m excited to see where this goes!

1 Like

The best :+1: :laughing: :+1:
I LOVE this game already! And I really love how you let us, the reader, to choose what the gender for the mc friends. Really love it! :heart_eyes: and the plot and your writing is AMAZING! I can’t wait for the next update :relaxed:

By the way, may I ask is it normal for the end of the chapter 2 load longer. I’ve tried to refresh it but nothing work. Is it the end of the wip so far or…

Oh I also noticed that in your tumblr you have said that the game has been updated may I know what the update you have made (if you don’t mind) and also maybe you should update the progress of the story in here too if you can.

Also have an amazing day! And have this meme just for fun

4 Likes

This is soo good!! Can’t wait for more :heart:

My face flushed light red at the memories that flooded to the surface.

maybe be a little different words here since, not all mcs are light skinned or have skin that people notice when they blush

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. If you want to reopen your WiP, contact the @moderators.