The Lost Heir Trilogy

On the subject of the universe, I like to just think they are all part of some alternate dimension. Sure, there are some references here and there, but I like to think that each game happens in a different time stream.

If LOaM is part of the same universe then it will also mean that the Kingdom of Daria will eventually fall and either be replaced by or absorbed into a federal, presidential republic quite similar to OTL USA.

I personally like to think of TLH as the sequel to LOAW as that would mean the world follows a comfortable and somewhat familiar pattern of declining levels of magic as it approaches modern times.

On the other hand if TLH is the sequel and LOaM is indeed set in the same universe it might mean that magic (and whatever magical creatures remain) have merely gone underground and a ā€œmasqueradeā€ of sorts has been put in place that the characters in LOaM simply cannot see through or have no reason to see through.

Life of a Game Writer: The Creation of a Sequel

9 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure Kobolds are the ā€œopponentsā€ in your first job in LoaW

Yep. Kobold bandits were your first mission as adventurers.

How I envy the life of writersā€¦

On another note, I see the timeline like this:

LoaW (golden age of magic) ā†’ TLH (set centuries later with magic on the decline) ā†’ LoaM (modern times, magic is all but gone)

You know I think in Tolkienā€™s Middle-Earth mythos - magic itself is bound to the flow of time - the more forward time flows, the more magic unravels and eventually becomes no more.
Magic in LoaW and TLH seems to have various sources - apparently a number of deities exist from whom magical energy can be summoned from - Soulburners generate magic internally through their life force but the most common process of wielding magic appears to be deriving it from external sources.

Assuming LoaW and TLH do indeed share the same universe - then we remember when in LoaW when the MC is transported to what was either:
1). A version of the real world where magic never existed, set in some historical period
2). Another time period set in the same universe, presumably the future, when magic dwindled away

In either case the MC was unable to use magic in that world because there was no external source of magical energy to absorb and manipulate - which can only mean that during the timeline of LoaW magic was a metaphysical natural resource of the world the MC lived in.

In TLH the nature of magic is expanded upon - as its called an ā€˜ā€˜essential force that permeates all of existenceā€™ā€™ though its also possible to be granted ā€˜divineā€™ magic by deities - essentially magic appears to hold a unitary property that makes it magic - but there are different ways to acquire magic, the most common to learn to control and wield it yourself.

This probably means that by the timeline of LoaM this ā€˜forceā€™ that is magic that is bound to the fabric of existence itself has somehow either diminished or died out - or humans have simply lost the knowledge of how to control this unseen resource. This does paint a theory - at some point after LoaW and TLH but before LoaM perhaps a Doom fell upon the magical world that destroyed the old magical civilization and almost all its teachings - something also happened to the non-human races that once held nations of their own - in the end somehow only humans survive - in LoaW we know humans are special since their biologically most compatible with all other races in terms of reproduction - this does seem to indicate that humans may have been the base template of existence for the other races, well that is just a theory.

Further possible evidence that magic did not cease to be but was rather simply forgotten could be taken from the much unappreciated Paradox Factor. Now what if PF is set either concurrently or even ahead of LoaM - in modern or post modern times - what if the time machine built is simply a technological conduit that is able to harness magic through scientific means (what if magic can actually be explained scientifically as some kind of physics related inter-dimensional phenomenon) - meaning that magic still remains in the timeline LoaM (and PF) but the knowledge of its existence and how to wield it has been long lost?

Iā€™d say the timeline might just be:

LoaW ā†’ TLH ā†’ LoaM ā†’ PF

@EmperorHeartless Oh, yes, I actually forgot all about the kobolds in LoaW, though in TLH their numbers are certainly a lot smaller.

It might also leave the possibility that an ancient conspiracy that helped this loss of knowledge along resulting in a ā€œmasqueradeā€ of sorts being put in place did happen at some point. I do like the idea that the ambient level of free floating magical energy rapidly decreases the closer one gets to modern times and technology. Still casting spells using life force as its source and maybe using demonstones might still be possible.

If they are the indeed in the same timeline, I would have loved the opportunity to visit a museum of natural history in the world of LoAM though. Seeing as to how we were able to coexist and perhaps even intermingle with the Neanderthals for nearly 5000 years I would love to hear this world evolutionary scientists theories about how and why exactly the other humanoid races died out and perhaps how something of their genes survives in modern humans still. Maybe the cataclysm was a Yellowstone like super eruption (possibly caused by magic) that reduced most of the old world to literal rubble and somehow only humans were left at the end of the dark age that followed, owing to our greater adaptibility? It would also provide a possible explanation for the name New Daria instead of the obvious one of New Daria having been a colony of old Daria.

New York was named after Yorkshire in England - so Colonialists would name their colonies in honor of their original regions - if LoaM more or less resembles the real world - then its unlikely that that it was a colony of Daria - a fictional country which doesnā€™t exist in the real world - but we donā€™t know the status of Daria in LoaM - thereā€™s the possibility that it co-existed with the British Empire and other historical powers and therefore undertook its own colonization in the New World - but Iā€™m more inclined to believe that LoaM virtually resembles our real world - in that case its unlikely that the Kingdom of Daria survived into modern times, or even to colonial times - it likely perished a long time ago - and became a word of myth - geographically maybe it was an ancient kingdom that once existed presumably in mainland Europe - but I donā€™t think it existed concurrently with Colonial Powers like the British Empire - but the region itself must still exist - maybe part of another modern day sovereign state - maybe all that survived of Daria was its legend and nothing else (kind of like Atlantis?) - and perhaps it was a well known legend - dismissed as fiction - when in actuality its myths are based on the truth about the exploits of the LoaW and TLH MCs.

In a way maybe Daria could be compared to Camelot - to us in the modern world this magical land likely never existed but within a fictional history it did indeed exist and lives on in our memories through its myths, legends and folklore.

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if there are actual real life places named after something related to Arthurian mythology - maybe the same principle can be applied to New Daria - its named not after a real life place (as far as the modern world thinks) but named after an enduring story several generations grew up with - the Myth and Legends of Daria.

i replayed the game last nightā€¦ maybe gonna stick with this playthrough, for the next installmentā€¦ anywayā€¦ i found out that the partner glitch is still there, i slept with petra then the next day slept with karla, with no repercussionsā€¦ is this part of an elaborate ploy to restart the dynasty by having 2 partners?.. well maybe pertra as queen since sheā€™s a noble of sorts then karla and or jess if i can find a way to make her fall inlove with a good aligned squire as concubines???

Can someone please tell me how to beat the last boss without high agility.

whats youā€™re character class?.. i beat him with high strength, high natureā€¦ poisoned him (-25 to his health), used the knife (-25 to his health), took a hit to get close (-25 to my health), yanked the belt using 60 strength, then used the sword to kill him (-50 to his health)ā€¦

my class is a priest high magic and religion I also have a high perception and charm

magic is OP imo so long as you never forget to choose to take the hit (-25 hp to you) to get closer when he moves after you kill his 3 lackeysā€¦ doing anything else results in him damaging you and you miss your chance to remove his beltā€¦

I have done that but I canā€™t dodge his first attack that takes (-50 hp) and when I try and kill the guards I take another (-25 hp) from them so how do I beat him?

ah i seeā€¦ i forgot about that one, because when he attacks i just grab his arms since iā€™m high strengthā€¦ did you happen to have the spider cloak from the mountain temple?.. it make you dodge his -50hp attackā€¦ you need gil/gale for to avoid the trap, but if you have petra/peter, 50/50 chance of getting it or get getting poisoned and missing the itemā€¦ oh and if you saved money, the shield you can buy from the peddler in your home town during your winter stay also provides a way to block the -50hp attackā€¦

I canā€™t get the spider cloak because I have a bad relationships with gil/gale and petra/peter. I guess Iā€™ll try and get the shield

I always dodged. Bardic Mage with high charm and at least 35 in each of the knowledge stats (with artifacts). I chose agility options when getting past the guards in the beginning, Bard life under Amos gives agility boost, and then used agility to kill the troll. Also got my blades up to 58 without maxing my magic, but my magic was still pretty high at 87. I think I had enough to dodge Thujas attack and basically beat the **** out of him.

Oh also I went to Zusaks speech and casted some fire magic at him. Thuja took the hit for -25 so at the start of the battle he only had 75 health.

If you manage to take the Belt off of Thujua, it doesnā€™t matter what his health is. The next attack will always kill him.

@Lucid Are you considering IAPs for this game? Such as plus 10 to all stats?

I think if Lucid wanted IAPs, theyā€™d already be in the game.