Project Legends: The Battlemage (WIP)

I am going the wake up route. I’m probably going to edit the exposition and make it something like a school lesson on “The God’s War”.

I’ll be pushing an update for the new beginning version for new chapter 1 sometime today hopefully.

5 Likes

So I have good news and bad news. Oh and neutral(?) news.
For the good news…

Alright after a long long week of stuff going on I managed to somehow eek out enough writing for another update. Hooray!

Change Log:

• Starting from the prologue will eventually take you to newchapter 1 instead of original chapter 1
  • new chapter 1 has changed it’s intro, responses on how the change from prologue to newchapter 1 feels would be much appreciated.
  • Possession Intro is up. Yay!
  • Poison intro has changed a bit. I’m storing Nox for a later time. (Probably to kick you when you’re down just cause Nox is mean.)
  • Runic intro has moved forward a bit, new character introduced (no not an RO. Be creepy if it was 0.0 )
  • Contemplating a new concept called The Inner World
  • And also re-implementing a little stat I call “sanity”. Yep, play your cards right and eventually you can be powerful AND crazy! Hooray!
  • You meet 3 new NPCs in the Possession intro.

ahem

Now for the bad news.
I have forgotten the image for the update. The way I did it specifically was with a image to link converter and for some reason I can’t get it to work again after I accidentally deleted it so that image is non-existent at the moment :frowning:
This may be the last public update for awhile. At least until I sort out a lot of the grammatical issues done. @Cecilia_Rosewood has been forcibly conscripted volunteered to help with that.

Oh and neutral(?) news.

• Still on the look out for Alpha testers :stuck_out_tongue: I won’t ask for all of your time just all the time you use to sleep , just some of your time so the Battle Mage can someday be on that coveted “Hosted Games” list.

Oh and a 3 questions for all of you Magi out there :stuck_out_tongue:

1. Do you plan on being a good mage and learning the ways to harness the power of nature to destroy your foes and bolster your allies? Or do you plan on learning a different trade like the way of the sword, because you always wanted to be that one weird mage that charges into battle with a mage’s robe wielding a steel sword you stole from that poor (now) unarmed guard.

2. Do you want to fulfill your family’s wishes of spreading their House power or will you betray them? If you want to betray them do you want to dominate them or destroy them?

3. Will you embrace your ancestral family magic or will you go against it?

5 Likes

Well, I’m in medical school, so I don’t sleep anyway. What the hell, I’ll alpha test! :stuck_out_tongue:

Now, for your questions.

1. I prefer a more neutral toward good leaning mage myself. To me, being a mage is more about forging one’s own path with the power at their disposal, so I liked going for a more non-traditional path. Using the sword seemed very appealing to me, especially after you mentioned that it might make my character looked down on by other noble mage families for using something so archaic as swordsmanship. I really like the idea of using something traditionally looked down on and beating people with it. It’s always an interesting direction for character building.

2. I really haven’t seen enough development with the parental figures to go either direction on this currently. It really depends on the childhood that the character goes through. If there’s a real reason to betray the family, I will likely consider it. Are they the same kind of nobles that look down on others who are not traditional mages? Did they reject my love interest? Kill my dog? Even the most “mundane” of actions have been known to move mountains.

3. I think it really depends on my ancestral magic. I really want to make my ancestral magic work for me. If I can blend the ancestral magic in new and interesting ways to complement the mage’s fighting style, that would be super interesting to do. I remember that I originally chose the trap magic type because I thought it would make the swordsmanship style truly shine with an interesting kind of battlefield control. Sort of like “let me press my advantage because I know I can press the attack toward the magic trap I set up on the field in this direction.”

1 Like

I can’t seem to get past the first day because an error occurrs when you get past the training room.

Same. Got an error when trying to study.

@Terriermon50 @Nick_K can you tell me what specific choices you make and what the error says? In my own play tests I haven’t experienced one so far.

@APersonOnAComp Thank you for volunteering the last of your sleep to me!

1. Yep you will be discriminated against if you take that common-man’s hobby and make it your primary skill. Although if you wanted to combine magic and blades into a single skill that’s a future possibility as well. Or just go pure swordsman and beat everyone by hitting them with the handle of your blade.

Might have to make a catch phrase of that honestly.

1. True the parents aren’t shown too much. I’m thinking of making a choice between they genuinely care for you or only want to use you as a tool to expand their position. Yes even Assassin parents can love you, in their own frigid way.

2. Your Ancestral Magic will be unique, but not terribly so. It will open up new possibilities of combat, but I’m thinking about putting some kind of limitation or some kind of catch to each Ancestral Magic.
    I have a rough idea for that with the Poison Ancestral Magic.

Of course each Ancestral Magic will come with benefits too, to help even out the disadvantage.

1 Like

I love stories with magic and this game looks promising already so I am looking forward to more.

I think I may be getting the same error. What I do and the message I get is as follows:

Start from the beginning
Savages. Watching them disgusts me.
Tornado
Throw Fireballs and Earth Spikes!
Son
Aster
Dewolfe
Runic Magic (INCOMPLETE)
Yes, my family built it’s fortune from Runic Magic and magical reserach. (This should be research.)
Stone. I never had a good sense for names.
What a waste of magical potential.
Research room 3?
Yes, Stone is doing a great job.
Well… who are you?
You said something about the golems?
Help me how?
How did you come to join my family?
Great Purge?
No, that’s all.
Runic Magic Practice

I see the problem now.

There’s an entire scene between the practice room and speaking with Professor Darrius that I never put in. Oops.

Where did I put that scene?
Actually how in the world did I ever misplace an entire scene in the first place…

3 Likes

Alright for now I’m adjusting the runic background to end after you’re done speaking to Professor Darrius. I can’t find the old scene for it, so I’ll have to write a new one.

Also for the Runic mages, how do you feel about having a little miniature golem to follow you around? It’s basic right now, but I plan for you to be able to customize them with runes that give it new abilities. Like the ability to keep your drinks cold. :smiley: That’s what I’d use a expensive and cutting-edge piece of technology for… So how would you use our delightful little golem?

9 Likes

The golem stole it obviously. They just want you all to themselves your that precious to them.

edit: yes customization is fun and entertaining idea. the new ceasar says :+1:
i have a spontaneous urge to name my golem Neoheartless or maybe Rosewood…hmm

3 Likes

I’d use the golem to gather information about potential love interests? I’d affectionately call it “Jenkins.”

2 Likes

@EmperorHeartless I chose runic magic and tried studying runic as well as martial arts. Both ended with an error.

The Runic path should end after you’re done speaking with Professor Darrius.

Currently I’m working on furthering the Poison path and will be doing Runic next, since my original scene in between the talk with Professor Darrius and the training room decided to disappear. :frowning:

Although I’m on vacation right now and have no WiFi for my laptop so sadly I can’t update anything for awhile. Although other error reports and grammatical corrections are still welcomed.

@DrakEye I do hope you selected “NeoHeartlrss did a good job.”

Of course anyone doing the Runic background can name their Golem @Cecilia_Rosewood. Then you have a Rosemod to follow you around!

1 Like

I would make it pretend to be an ordinary statue and scare people :smiling_imp:

@Guhik it’s still a better use of years of research than me using a golem as a portable cooler.

@APersonOnAComp That’s… Interesting actually. I might have to add in an option to completely change how your golem looks in the future to help fulfill its subterfuge needs.

4 Likes

Woo! I’m helping! :laughing:

General Update: Yaa!! This isn’t dead. It’s being worked on still (at half a snail’s pace of course.) I’m reworking my startup page, because it’s a mess. One big jumbled mess. In my effort to create both a long with a large amount of replay-ability I have sorely underestimated the amount of variables I have needed.

Currently I’m fiddling around with a stealth system that would be more based on decision making than stats, to try and avoid being over-reliant on stats for every occasion. (Jeez I’m trying a lot of things with this W.I.P.) I’m a bit stuck on it. If anyone has any ideas or insights into it I’d be happy to hear them.

So some things that have been made for the three different family routes. Each route will have a specific gender-changeable NPC.

Also apologies for the severely long delays in updates, especially to my private testers. Life is moving a lot with a large amount of ups and downs, add in lack of inspiration, laziness (My greatest enemy.), and a slew of other things my time to write has severely dwindled.

Also with Dropbox’s announcement to remove the ability to render HTML content I will be changing my links accordingly sometime this month.

12 Likes

New update is up, and new link on the first post.

Prologue has been updated slightly.

Runic, Poison, and Possession routes have all been updated. Several new NPC’s have been introduced. Max/Maxxie and Jeeves will be appearing later on. Max/Maxxie only in the Runic route.

Oh yes and the Codex will change in aesthetic certain functions depending on the family background. While they would all serve the same purpose as an in-game lore item that helps one keep track of stats, the codex will also be a prized possession that only the rich, wealthy, and magical would be able to ever even think of owning.

I guess that means you’re already spoiled? Hooray!

14 Likes

No complaints with the story so far but one bug I found was, if you want to type in your own family name, when you type it in and hit next, it just sends you back to the surname selection part and won’t let you move forward unless you pick one of the names given. No problem with the first name selection though.

Thank you! Also I found the error. Really embarrassing. I had a random *goto that brought you back to the selection. I have no idea why it was there, but it will be gone when I update the game. Thanks for pointing that out (For some reason I kept missing this error.)