The Last Wizard - Beta Test CLOSED!

Beta test is over! Look for a release in a few months. Thanks!

Beta Testers Wanted!

Be sure to refresh the game often so that you have the most recent files.

If you are ready to play and send feedback within a few days, please join us! If not, let someone else join the current wave and you can join a future one when you have time.

I like to test in small groups, fix the errors, and slowly let in new people with fresh eyes. It prevents having 50 people reporting the same bugs. I encourage the early testers to keep testing as the updates are released, since I will undoubtedly make new errors. :slight_smile:

If the Beta Test is currently open: please email me at mike_walter AT rogers DOT com. Donā€™t forget to say your forum name! Although you can mention your intention to join on this thread, the actual joining and reporting is done through email, not here. Please donā€™t sent me Forum Private Messages to join the Beta Testing.

Thanks in advance for everyoneā€™s help!

The Last Wizard:

Itā€™s a regular Tuesday evening when you are pulled from Earth and sent to a place where magic still exists. You are given a wizardā€™s tower filled with arcane knowledge that you are expected to learn. You find yourself in the middle of a war between two nations and itā€™s up to you to save the kingdom where you now live.

In my newest 197,000-word interactive-fiction story the Last Wizard, you will get to choose which powerful spells you will learn and make friends with a variety of people. Your choices will influence who rules the land and what happens to the civilians living there.

Will you find love or will you strive to return to the life you were forced to leave behind? Will you save the kingdom, or will you betray the people for your own personal gain? The choice is yours in the Last Wizard.

60 Likes

is ā€˜mike_walter AT rogers DOT comā€™ the same one as the ā€œlucid519ā€ one? because I accidentally sent it to ā€œlucid519ā€

I see both and I responded from the other account. :slight_smile:

I suppose I could use the other one. Just habit that I used my normal one.

No offense but this sounds like a Piers Anthony Xanth (Iā€™ll have to find the one Iā€™m talking about for the title) novelā€¦ I really liked it. And your idea I hope differs enough to not cause issues. Itā€™s really is a short read (all of his books are).

There are quite a few ā€œtransplantā€ stories and novels down through the history of SF/Fantasy genres. There are even some mythical stories in the backwoods of America about such happenings (getting transported into another world and becoming its hero).

Iā€™m looking forward to enjoying the read, once the competition is over. Hopefully this will be but one of many worthy entries that are submitted.

Edit: @Lucid - did you want the thread locked until youā€™re ready to reopen the beta?

1 Like

No worries. Itā€™s unique. This theme has been written about many times, but thereā€™s room for more.

No need to lock. Iā€™m working with the first wave and will change the title when I reopen the beta. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Beta Testing is going very well. Iā€™ve added nearly 10k words with new choices and a new ending.

Iā€™ll be opening and closing this test every few days over the next month so that I can keep a steady flow of fresh eyes.

Thank you to my existing testers. You have given me so much to work with already! Please donā€™t stop! And thanks to those who will be joining us soon. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Iā€™m looking for a few new testers. Anyone ready to join this week?

4 Likes

Reporting for Duty!
(20 chars)

beta test please my good sir

I wouldnā€™t mind beta testing, Iā€™m off work for a few days and I like the story line.

:raised_hand:t2: Yes Sir!

I could help out if youā€™re still looking.

Iā€™d love to if you still have need of more!

Has it really been two weeks already?

Iā€™m ready for another couple of new testers for this week.

-> Current testers, donā€™t stop! Be sure to send me what youā€™ve found too.

-> New testers, be sure to read the first email in this thread to see how to join.

Thanks, everyone!

1 Like

I want to test, if possible.

I would love to test the game if possible am on Christmas break and have alot of free time , just send the email rn

Sent and hoping to hear back.

First of all, thank you to all of my wonderful beta testers. As you know, I reply to every message sent to me either agreeing with the fix/change, or explaining my reasoning as to why it might not work.

Unfortunately, the response rate of the people asking to Beta Test has been a little frustrating. Of the 34 people who have asked to join so far, 18 people have replied with no feedback at all. I understand that things come up, but please, the purpose of Beta Testing is to help find errors and give specific examples for improvement.

So, quiet beta testers, please send me your feedback. If youā€™ve collected some and havenā€™t sent them yet, SEND THEM! This is especially frustrating because the wave method I use requires each wave to send errors over the first few days of playing. This Beta will eventually become fully open, but not yet.

BETA TEST OPEN! (For now. I change the title to reflect when itā€™s open or closed, read the first post.)

I am also opening the beta for a few new testers. So, if you are willing to send feedback, read the first email and follow the instructions. Again, only request to join if you can leave some feedback over the next few days, if youā€™re busy, wait for the next wave.

Thanks!

7 Likes

Remember, if you havenā€™t had a chance to play for a day or so, REFRESH and start over. :slight_smile:

If you leave your game open and I update, the variables get reset and it creates a lot of fake errors which makes it difficult to tell which are real and which are just from the files changing while you are playing.

Iā€™ve added a new romance scene to all 7 ROs and included some special statements if you are considering using the amulet or not. So, if you havenā€™t played in a while, you might want to check it out.

Remember, joining information can be found in the first post.

Thanks again, everyone!

3 Likes