The Kepler Colony: Evacuation (OUT NOW!)

I’ve been working this weekend on getting the list of 100 people complete. I have names and professions for all now! The next job is to list them all in the game and make a conversation with each of them. This could take a bit of time so bear with me!

2 Likes

I am very excited for this. I cant wait to see what you come up with :smiley:

1 Like

Progress update: writing 100 mini interviews takes time! Still nothing new to play but when they’re all done I’ll update it all for everyone.

The basic structure is this:
Task: choose 10 out of 100 people who will survive on the spaceship.
How?
-Random
-choose from a profile list (name, gender, age, job)
-interview any or all of the people.

Random choice was long done and the profile list is complete. I’m working through the interviews now.
After interviewing, any new info is added to the profiles to aid you in your choices. It’s a lot of variables and a lot of writing! Fun though!

6 Likes

Hey considering I really dont mind spoilers, do you have a list of the jobs you would like to share? I’m really curious about what job you finaly decided to put in!

I can do that but it’ll take a bit of time: they are all mixed in with the code. I’ll try and seperate them when I get a chance.

All of the choices are 18+ years old. The younger ones are predominantly students (with a specified field of study). The older ones vary a lot.

1 Like

Hey if you feel like it would be taking too much time from the game then please ignore this and stay on it. I love this game but I wouldnt want to slow it down for a preview.

1 Like

You can always ask if a certain profession is included…

2 Likes

Well I am pretty curious about those students in specific fields. Do you have some examples? I do t really have any in mind so this would actualy help me imagine what will be possible. That would be really nice.

I know you said no kids but what about a child prodigy?

For example, student of medicine, or student of Astrophysics, or student of modern art… The fields vary a lot. Bear in mind his is a list of 10 out of 100 who will live you are choosing. That doesn’t mean the 10 best jobs, but the 10 best people. The farmer and violinist are more than just a job.

How you whittle the choice down is up to you though. You might set an age limit / only choose single people / only choose heterosexuals / only choose the well educated / ignore all with a criminal record / ignore any who say the wrong thing at interview… The choice is yours. Just remember: those you don’t choose will die.

2 Likes

I don’t think I could do that in real life, only choosing 10 out of 100, I couldn’t do it.

Well considering the scale of the situation I do think it would be difficult but in this kind of moment life become cheap as terrible as it sound.

The world is about to die and the only thing our character can do is try to soften the blow. Morality and what is “right” become more and more confused as time goes on so anybody in this position of power need to became a machine otherwise feelings might cause more damage to the whole.

An example would be having having to chose between a children and a soldier. The moral thing to do would be to take the children but when you consider the whole situation, a soldier have the capacity to save more peoples than the children.

On the other hand the child is innocent and could grow up to become an efficient member of the colony so when it come down to it there is no good answers, only actions and reactions. And no matter what you chose peoples WILL try to use it against you and complain.

1 Like

I got the idea for this part from a very old book called One in 300, by J T Macintosh. The main character in his book has an even tougher choice: 10 people out of 3000 to live.

If it makes it any easier, you aren’t the only person choosing survivors/passengers. Other high profile people will be enlisted to make the same decision as well.

1 Like

Gosh, a hundred people is a lot. I applaude you on your creativity. I’m wondering if you should start at 50 people first and work up to adding more on the list later.

Progress is going well. You have a lot of ways to choose your 10. You can just browse the profiles and choose 10, you can interview the ones you think ‘maybe’ to get more information, you can interview all 100 if you choose! Or you can just pick 10 at random.
Interviewing gives extra information, such as marital status, hobbies, prejudices or health.

4 Likes

Minor update: just a quick post to say progress is going well even though there is nothing new to see yet.

A question though: some of the 100 characters stand out as obvious choices to take due to age, job, personality. Should I add traits like smugness or arrogance to make them less desirable?

2 Likes

I feel so, at least on some maybe. If there are a few to good ones a few bad traits would balance it out maybe. That’s just my personal opinion because I feel no one is perfect.

Why not give each person a good trait and a flaw. Maybe one can be hardworking but arrogant and refuses to listen. Another can be lazy but intelligent

1 Like

I think it would be a good moment to remind peoples that even the best of us have dirty parts to themselves. Of course it doesnt have to be huge obvious stuff like “he’s a genius be he’s also a cannibal” but small stuff like health problems, prejudice, ages and such could be great ways to counter this. I also think it might be a good idea to hide some stuff. A member that is seemingly harmless and perfect right now could have both of his kidney give up on him during the journey or the perfectly healthy old soldier might have an undiagnosed schyzophrenia just waiting to come out.

I think stuff like that could be good.

2 Likes

Personally, I find myself less inclined to invest in the Public Sector and the Military Support because I’m unaware how much I should invest. Whilst in the other cases, I know how much money I need to finish project X and research Y.

Is there a way to know how much?

Perhaps there should be a similar system in the former (Public Sector). You can invest in certain things and so.Such as…if people start a riot due to a horrible educational system, perhaps you can invest in certain things in education.

1 Like