The Kepler Colony: Evacuation (OUT NOW!)

No Micheal Fassbenders, right?

I think you will be okay on that point. I do have some artwork for the spaceship part already - characters. None look like Michael Fassbender.

2 Likes

ā€¦Iā€™m trusting you, mate!

1 Like

UPDATE

Third update today! (Iā€™m loving having the time and motivation to write!)

This update is a year 3 choice over which type of spaceship to build. This is a restrictive update, which mean it will be easier to finish your spaceship. As such, I will tweak the cost of modules and scientists needed in the next update.

Link: https://dashingdon.com/go/1645

5 Likes

The world is going to end and you have to decide which one of these 10 people gets to survive on a large interstellar spaceship to another planet. Who would you save and why?

• Andy Gherkin, male, 37, teacher, has a son, writes for a hobby, suffers from asthma
  • Iain Stanley, male, 21, student of mathematics, heavy drinker, cybernetic eye, long-term girlfriend
  • Richard Press, male, 40, yoga instructor, transgender, gun owner, not married
  • Christopher Tyler, male, 45, accounting assistant, hobby: historic photographs, no children, mild
  • Roger Thompson, male, 61, school inspector, puzzle enthusiast, two grandchildren, coffee drinker
  • Carol Thompson, female, 31, personnel manager, engaged, charismatic, likes to talk
  • Pete Dormer, male, 22, student of history, agitated, passionate about history, coffee drinker
  • Reena Mandagaar, female, 29, catalogue manager, outgoing, has a pet cat, not married
  • Kiran Capp, male, 18, plumbing apprentice, cycling enthusiast, ambidextrous, muscular
  • Arun Orkins, male, 34, writer, loves to travel, part-time photographer, not married

0 voters

(This question is a small part of Colonising Kepler 62e: Evacuation)

Edit: correction to question to make the situation clearer.

3 Likes

Christoper mild what?

A mild manner. As opposed to aggressive.

1 Like

Ahh, thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

Havenā€™t played the game, not much into sci-fi, but do push myself to try games from genres I donā€™t tend to normally like every so often, so will try and give your game a go :slight_smile: . This was super easy, Iā€™ll save Richard! Why? : Heā€™s trans, itā€™d give us some common ground, plus heā€™s a gun owner- I live in the UK and visually impared, so not one myself. I have been to a gun range, but they didnā€™t have visually impared adaptions, and the closest range that does is miles away :ā€™( but either way again, common ground and something to talk about. The yoga is kinda a meh point, but the other two things are a big plus with me. His age is kinda irrelevant too, I often feel neutral/indifferent to people, and am happy to hang out with people of all ages.

TBH though, I kinda focussed on those two things and zoned out after that :stuck_out_tongue: but pete would be a good candidate too, a coffee drinker and into history? Great, again good common ground. Plus his age is a lot closer to mine. I know I said that isnā€™t a big factor, but it is still a slight factor of course. Oh and their marital status isnā€™t a factor, as I donā€™t see myself being in a relationship any time soon, and quite like my own space, plus points to Pete there too, heā€™s agitated? Guessing he might be introverted too then :stuck_out_tongue: .

1 Like

Yeah, I didnā€™t look for common ground. I merely saw someone who was young and fit, ambidextrous, and had the potential to be turned into something else, so I went with Kiran.

When talking about the preservation of our species, conversation wonā€™t save us. Only logical selection will. 18, male, not only fit, but muscular as well, and already has some above-average knowledge? Couldnā€™t asked for a better blank slate. I can see why people chose Pete, but it looks like he has some emotional problems.

3 Likes

I pick Carol because it sounds like sheā€™s a people person, and if youā€™re setting up a new colony it would surely help to have someone whoā€™s good at organising people and helping everyone work together.

2 Likes

ā€¦Ok Iā€™m going to be really honest, on an emotional level I donā€™t care about the future of humanity, itā€™s just the way my brain is wired. Like if you offered me a billion pounds to care, I couldnā€™t. On a logical level I care, but not on an emotional one, so Iā€™d just be thinking about the quality of my life. Plus thinking more on it, having people with similar interests might make those interests more prominent in society in the future? Certainly saving Richard would affect the future of gun laws anyhoo.

1 Like

Heh. We might need exosuits where weā€™re going, not just guns.

4 Likes

Haha, save that idea for when we reach Kepler 62e! (also, should probably be in the main game thread) :slight_smile:

I donā€™t plan on replying to peopleā€™s reason just yet - Iā€™d prefer to let other people give their thoughts first and I donā€™t want to influence any decisions.

2 Likes

Ah, I assumed (edit: at first) that whoever I picked would be going on that spaceship alone (ie, without me) so whether I get along with them or not is irrelevant. And if theyā€™re going alone, then ā€œpreserving the human raceā€ isnā€™t going to be an option either. Everyoneā€™s going to die, and itā€™s just a question of who gets to enjoy a few extra years wandering an alien planet. So I ended up picking Arun as the one most likely to actually enjoy those few extra years, since he loves travelling so much. Though Kiran was a very close second as the most likely to survive the longest.

Edit: now that it seems clear that theyā€™re not going alone, Iā€™m changing my answer to Kiran as most likely to survive. Also, plumbing know-how is supremely important and I refuse to live in a world where flush toilets are not a reality.

2 Likes

I assume that I and others are going to be on the ship and need to continue the human race. Any old person (females over 30) would have difficulty repopulating the new Earth so theyā€™re out. I want them healthy with no addictions that could end up hurting other crew members. No cats because I donā€™t like them and am not wasting precious resources on feeding and waste removal and in emergencies they are a food source and that could cause conflict.

Weā€™re surviving on small famine relief calorie packets or mres and maybe supplemental space farms and dead consumption in emergencies, so no coffee. We need to keep weight down as not to exceed carrying capacity.

Kiran is young and can occupy himself with biking around different sectors to check on them and fixing stuff. Only a skeleton crew is alive, so there wonā€™t be much social pursuits outside of work and breeding since heā€™s not important enough for cryo. Heā€™s a plumber so heā€™d like fertilizing crops and providing fuel.

Arun liked traveling, so heā€™d get upset at living his entire life in one place, so heā€™s out.

Christopher is ok and is runner up.

2 Likes

Having played and enjoyed the game there are actually very different ships these people could be on. From cryogenic ships where they just sleep the whole way there to habitation ships where it will be several generations before anyone set foot on ground again. Or you can combine the two into a hybrid ship. I think different skills would be priorities from one to the other.

For example on a habitat ship reproduction becomes much less important because you will want to keep population growth at zero for several generations until you reach your destination and have the room to expand.

2 Likes

Kiran. No medical issues (listed) and has a needed trade education.

2 Likes

Kiran seems the most helpful one doing the ā€œget out of the ship and patch up this vent with tapeā€ jobs so im going with him.

1 Like

Hey, muscular people weigh more and need more food :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes