The Kepler Colony: Evacuation (OUT NOW!)

Update:

Today I added the cybernetic choice scene. Alongside your robot you can also buy one of 2 different cybernetic implants (if you make cybernetics legal, that is).

Other recent updates:
-Alternate and rewritten scenes for Year 2 and 3, if you tell the public early.
-election results introducing the new President/PM
-continuity changes - less dead characters will reappear now (testing will be needed to find others!)
Preparations for name changes depending on your nationality.
Year 26 ending (if you don’t launch a spaceship in time…)

Tomorrow: unveiling of new president/PM and introduction to the team for Sally Albright.

There are still 8-10 unfinished areas I need to do, as well as one very large part. Progress is good and I’m enjoying having the time to write.

10 Likes

Sounds fun! Good luck.

1 Like

Quick question: if you had a cybernetic surgery and wanted to advertise, what slogan would you use on posters? I plan to steal the best ideas you come up with!

1 Like

(A New Lease On Life). (Choose your edge. Lose your limits) (The future is up ahead, will you step up?) (do you want to be a cool kid? yes! then tell your dad to buy you the new cybernetic genitalia, kiddo :sunglasses: )

“Remove humanity’s shackles, ascend to a new life.”
Or
[Image of a successful person]“They became a successful athlete! Animals don’t bite them anymore! People flock to them! You too can be like this person with our cybernetic enhancements! Call this number to receive a 10% discount on your next purchase! 1-800-NO-BAMBOOZLE!”

“T R A N D E S C E N D”

“Live progress”

“Life is better in chrome”

“The next step of evolution, today.”

“From prosthetic to bionic”

“It only cost an arm”

2 Likes

“Advancing humanity, one limb at a time.”

2 Likes

‘We have the parts to make you whole.’

(I suppose that would make them a little creepy…but many advertisements are rather creepy anyway?)

‘Improve yourself—instantly!’

‘Taking nature to the next level.’

3 Likes

“We provide a chance to advance human to next step of life”

Update:

The new president has been added and cosmetic and continuity changes made to year 13 (I had the Russians as a trade partner when the lore of the game had them desert the planet 2 years earlier!)

I’ve discovered, but not yet corrected, an annoying bug that takes you back to the start of year 1 seemingly randomly. Tomorrow will be tracking that down, as well as a rewrite for joining the UN for when you tell the public early about the asteroid.

Regarding the cybernetics question, I have used ideas from @Logan3000x and @cyanide - thank you to everyone for replying and giving your input!

3 Likes

UPDATE:

Today has been very productive. Lots of writing added and more loose ends tied up. I have good writing time tomorrow as well. Long may it continue!

QUESTION:

I’ve been thinking about how to do the spaceship parts of the game. Once you launch your spaceship, the game will move to being on a spaceship. Depending on what you have done on Earth, there will be 10 different branched stories with upto 3 of them being played in 1 playthrough… In total, the spaceship part will be around 130k words, but 1 playthrough will be just 20-30k words. As such, I see three options:

A. Have the spaceship as the end to CK62e: Evacuation - the current plan.
B. Have the spaceship be the introduction for CK62e: Old Home (the name for the third game of the series)
C. Have the spaceship section as a separate game entirely, changing the trilogy into a quadrilogy (or whatever the word for 4 is!)

D. Another option would be to end Evacuation part way through the spaceship section… (just thinking of this as I write now).

So 4 choices. What do you all think? How should the series be broken up?

4 Likes

This seems the most logical as to story-focus and plot.

1 Like

Yeah. I think this one is most logical.

Lets be realistic here and stop bashing the bush. we all want another book, there I said it.

I agree it seems the most logical, however logistically it isn’t perfect by far.

The downside to C is that each playthrough will be very short. Especially if you continue from where Evacuation left off. Each playthrough would be 20-30 thousand words, which is very short for a standalone game.

Although… I have an idea for it that would work. Upon starting the spaceship section, you would have a choice of continuing from Evacuation or freeplay. Continuing would lock you into the correct storyline based upon your actions in Evacuation. Free play would let you play through any of the scenarios. In essence, the game would be both a continuation of Evacuation and a set of short stories.

4 Likes

that a good middle ground.

UPDATE

Alright, I’m relenting. The demo for the game is going up live on Dashingon.com

It’s fully up to date (as of today) which means there’s new content for everyone to read through.
There will be errors - There’s one persistent error that I haven’t narrowed down yet. Hopefully, from feedback from you amazing testers, I can find it quicker.

Meanwhile…
I have a question. I have uploaded all of the files to Dashingdon.com already but for some reason, the images are not working. All images are well under 1mb in size and they are all in jpg format. When I run the game from my computer directly, the images show up correctly. On Dashingdon.com they don’t show up. The error message displayed is a 404, as if the files don’t exist. The only image that I have got to work is dashpic.jpg - an image for the Dashingdon website.

If anyone can help with this image problem it will be appreciated!

Now, the bit you’ve all been waiting for:

DEMO LINK
https://dashingdon.com/go/1645

5 Likes

I think @DUNGEON_MASTER or @Szaal can help you with that

1 Like

Holy shit, its back! Evacuation is back! Oh, praise Cthulhu! I will play and hunt down errors post-haste!

1 Like

UPDATE Thanks to Dashingdon, images are now working. The answer was to make all the images lowercase (servers are upper/lowercase sensitive where choicescript is not, so it worked fine on my computer but the server wasn’t having it.)

3 Likes