The Kaliegoss Saga (WIP) Updated 02/06/2020

God dammit. I’m sorry, I can’t help myself. The ‘no guns’ rule, while I get it, doesn’t make sense for a story set in the modern day. The discovery of gunpowder is basically the single greatest discovery in history (second maybe to agriculture) and has led to huge leaps in technology and had crazy impacts on our culture and society. Basically, we would not have 90% of the things we have today without guns. Maybe it would be better to have guns, but have your country(?) just prefer to not use them for… reasons.

While I see your point, the invention of guns was revolutionary and did play a part in propelling our society forward, guns as a whole are not responsible for the advancements we have made today.

If guns hadn’t been invented, I still believe we would be where we are today, to an extent.

Take my world for example. Guns were never invented. And look how inherently medieval a lot of things still are. It’s the present, but in a way, still stuck in the past.

Personal preferences set aside, I wanted a world that is in the 21st century, but hasn’t made a lot of the technological advances our world has made. Heck, in the chapter I’m writing now, I subtly explain how things don’t really even run on electricity, instead using magic. Even the internet, which in our world uses data, wavelengths, and electricity, is instead run on just magic.

I don’t know if this really explains a lot, and I’m sorry if the way my world is set up ruins the experience for you. I hope as I update, you can look past some things and just enjoy the story for what it is

3 Likes

No no no. Don’t worry about me. I want to go along with it but my brain is trying to science the sh*t out of it. Clearly I’m taking this waaay too literally.

1 Like

You’re fine, and I appreciate you not being rude about everything. I’m glad I got to debate issues without either of us resorting to outright aggression. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Could you possibly add more races like Assimar

1 Like

I like the idea of magic substituting for things. Maybe instead of getting into a car and driving to the airport you could have magic… things. Basically make it different enough that I’m not constantly drawing parallels.

1 Like

I scrapped a few races for character creation to make coding easier on my end, but I will consider adding some if others really want them. If enough people bring it up, I’ll most likely put which races to add to a vote at some point

1 Like

Hey, I really like premise you have laid down so far and look forward to seeing how the story progresses. I caught a few spelling and grammar errors here.

Summary

“The car ride to the airport is long, with Clearmont as far from the city as it is. When you fianlly arrive, Laughter is waiting for you at the baggage check.”
Finally is mispelled here.

“You both check in and get shown to the room. It’s emaculant. Red velvet carpet, gold trimming on the walls, a hottub right next to a large window overlooking the city.”
Emaculant is spelled immaculate.

"Laughter sets her bags down and sprawls out on the other side of the couch with you. “We should do something tonight. I don’t have my job interview til tomorrow afternoon.”
I would use till instead of til, it still works as is however grammatically speaking it is incorrect.

“That’s the musical about the elvehn emancipation, right?”
Got an extra letter in here.

“Prime Miniter Adlar Xilloscient smiles down at the crowd as he waves. He wears a wine red, velvet suit and black tie. His salt and pepper hair is gelled to the side, and his purple eyes are creased as he smiles.”
This sentence would flow a lot better if you changed creased to crease and drop are.

“The lights dim as the show begins, and an elvhen male steps into center stage. Must be the actor playing Morquen. You barely pay attention to the play though. Your focus is solely on the royals.”
Got another letter in here.

For the sake of history and science, guns are just the result of the actual thing that revolutionized our society: gunpowder. Originally thought as elixir of life (immortality?) by ancient chinese chemists, it saw various application from fireworks to munition propulsions. Since the West had loved with the idea of explosive sticks that shoot lethal pebbles to those at the other end of the stick, guns evolved from simple flintlock to musket to carbine with auto-reload mechanism. Now, the future concept of guns are railguns which replace “fixed” gunpowder with “variable” electromagnetism.

While I can see why your setting doesn’t have guns (gunpowder?), I’d expect to see more crossbows with maybe some form of advanced spring-based mechanism. Heck, if car is a thing, I can see some madman built a fuel-based version of machine-gun, no matter how clunky or unwieldy it might be.

3 Likes

Question. Don’t the paladins and warlocks fit in any world as long as there are gods?I mean paladins are basically knights or can be treated similar to the templar organization from Aassassin’s Creed(either a corporation or a secret order against evil) and warlocks can be similar to cultists or they just stumbled upon some kind of demon/playful god that either accepted them as their follower or
“gifted” them a taste for power waiting for the MC to crave for more either because of need or being evil.

Very interesting take on the DnD races. I’ve played plenty of games where there are modern things in a mostly medieval setting but never an actual modern take on the world, so it’s very refreshing to see, at least for me.
Interesting tidbit, years ago I made an elf whose last name was also Xilloscient, so that was funny to see.

@Szaal Crossbows are definitely a thing, but are mainly only used by town guards and the army. It’s kind of like the AKs of this world. You have to have a permit to have one

@Greed22 I had trouble figuring out how to fit paladins and warlocks in my world. Since everybody has the ability to learn and use magic, I couldn’t find a definitive reason to add those classes.

Paladins are not really added into the army because of separation of church and state, and also didn’t make much sense guarding churches since that’s what the town guards are for, to protect the whole city

I will try finding out ways to add them into the lore

@Amanda Thank you for the typos!

@Able_Wolffe My very first DnD character was an elf with the last name was Xilloscient. It’s my favorite elf last name and use it in a lot of stuff with elves :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not sure what to do about Warlocks, but as for how Paladins could fit in… Even if the player can’t choose to be one, in our real world there are special ‘law enforcers’ above the standard police that aren’t quite militant in nature like a country’s army would be. Whether it be forces like Interpol, or the US’s FBI or CIA. It is also not strange to think that there are ‘self-appointed’ (or at the very least tacitly approved, if not specifically noted on official papers) forces that represent their various religious institutions in both creed, and deed.

In the case of not being expressly approved of by the government, it probably wouldn’t make any sense from a Paladin’s moral standpoint to just ‘exist’ when doing so breaks a law against…vigilantism?..it wouldn’t be officially sanctioned in a scenario where the church they represent is keeping an otherwise illegal private army. If that army were approved on the other hand–or it was less an army than a collective of missionaries that happen to know how to ride, and fight–the law would not be compromising their moral requirements. I would sooner stick to the idea that they would be more of a ‘specialized task force’ that can handle things simple town guards aren’t prepared to combat… Like dangerous drug cartels, I suppose. :thinking:

3 Likes

Minor continuity thing: the race selection page states that humans are 65% Kaliegoss, but later when talking about the prime minister it’s stated that the country is majority nonhuman.

(Also, how are half-elves and half-orcs counted for these statistics?)

I actually did not notice that. I spit balled a number to explain how abundant humans are compared to other races.
What I meant by that is humans are the largest race in regards to how many of each race there are. There are more humans than there are elves. There are more humans than there are dwarves, etc, etc. But when looking at humans vs non-human, elves, dwarves, gnomes, all the other races combined are more than just humans. I should have explained that better. Will change that to better explain

Half-elves and half-orcs are considered their own race, and this carry their own statistics. I’d say, about 15% of Kaliegoss is half-elves, and 5% are half-orcs

3 Likes

Ah, so humans have a plurality but not a majority.

Essentially, yes :slight_smile:

1 Like

New update is posted!

6 Likes

I love this , i love d and d and this is captivating .I love the option to be different races .I can’t wait to see what my archer drow does in her story

1 Like

Is it posible to deal the finishing blow to the manticore?

1 Like