The Judgement of Tarkar [10/21/2023, small adventure mode update)

Summary:
For three years the city of Tarkar has heard the warnings of a doomsayer. For three years the people have heard the plea to cast away their wickedness and return to the order of Heaven. For three years Tarkar, of which you are a citizen, has dismissed it all. And as you soon discover, for three years the gods have been watching closely, and they will have their vengeance.

You play as the mortal guide to Harja, the god chosen to live among the people of Tarkar for one year and bring them judgement. In that one year your actions and guidance may lead to Tarkar’s deliverance… or to its destruction. Yet even as you decide the city’s fate, do not forget you must also decide your own.

Features:

• Play as a man, woman, or person of Tarkar
  • Choose from ten different jobs and five hobbies as you live your daily life
  • Deal with the Housing Council, an assassin, a festival, a merchant feud, and a mysterious cult
  • Adventure outside the city walls, fighting or talking your way to victory and seeking out treasures
  • Romance and befriend a cast of characters, including the rulers of the city and the god at your side
  • Interact with even more, from your nosy neighbor to the sorceress in the forest to the crime lord hidden away
  • Experience events tied to jobs, friends, strengths, weaknesses, and even your birthday
  • Change the fate of the city and yourself with twenty-nine distinct endings
Romance Options (7 out of 7)

Manahen Meletius, the far-seeing potentate
Description: A pale man with dark eyes and obvious wealth, Manahen was simply a poor commoner before he was elected to become the leader of the city. While some might say he is power-hungry, for the power of the nobility has been greatly diminished while under his reign, others rejoice at having such a calm and cautious man as their ruler. Perhaps both sides are true, for those that know him would say he would do anything for those he loves – and with a diplomatic smile to boot.

Manahen can be found in the Palace District in the afternoon. He likes the Pretty Fancy Outfit, and can be easily influenced by those with clout (Wonder skill), leadership (Ruler trait), and like-minded calmness (high Serenity personality). He trusts Terentia alone out of everyone in the palace, and together they race as charioteers for fun. He has no personal enemies, as he hates the nobility as a whole.

Terentia Nerses, the ambitious judge
Description: A tall woman who holds herself with grace and wields a smile as a weapon, Terentia was picked as a child to become the next judge and brought up knowing her future role. Although she is not seen as the city’s leader, her control over lawmaking and years of knowing her worth have made her want to prove to everyone why she was chosen in the first place. Whether it’s in love or in war, Terentia knows sometimes you need to start trouble.

Terentia can be found in the Palace District in the afternoon. She likes the Pretty Fancy Outfit, and can be easily influenced by those with clout (Wonder skill), leadership (Ruler trait), and like-minded anger (low Serenity personality). She trusts Manahen, although sometimes she wonders why she can’t be the sole ruler, and together they race as charioteers. She would say she has no personal enemies, but many outside the city who find themselves under her expanding border and reach might say differently.

Harja, the disguised divine
Description: To describe the gods in their true form is impossible for mortal tongue, but many have seen the newcomer that’s staying for a year in the city. Appearing in the guise of a mortal man or woman with fine features and red hair, the child of the Goddess of the Hearth and the God of War is evaluating everything as they are led by their chosen guide. In truth, they did not really want to take this role as they believe it’s going to end badly, and it’ll be up to their guide to prove them wrong.

It’s impossible to miss Harja: they’re in your house, eating your food, and hounding your step as you help them evaluate the city. They cannot be influenced by any outfit, or skill, or trait, or personality (as they are often the instigator for you seeking out help), but your decisions will shape what sort of god they will become. They look favorably on honesty and dislike being undermined – they’re already unhappy having to evaluate, there’s no reason to make them suffer even more.

Dathus Rioch, the brooding gravedigger
Description: A muscular man with a soft voice and a scar along his jaw, Dathus Rioch was once the cherished son of the richest crime lord in the city. Although not much of a fighter himself, Dathus never thought twice about his father’s dealings growing up and has grown to hate the man who caused his father to lose his empire, his sanity, and eventually his life with a simple card game. There are many rumors about him, including the one that he’s consorted with terrible spirits to ensure he never loses a loved one ever again.

Dathus can be found in the Graveyard in the morning. He likes the Pleasant Outfit, and can be easily influenced by those with spirit (Vitality skill), physicality (Physical trait), and like-minded sensitivity (high Sensitivity personality). His best friend is Soteris, who’s been cheering him on while he practices for the Dessert Competition. To say he hates Raine would be putting it lightly.

Juliana Veturius, the dreaming doomsayer
Description: A short, dark-skinned woman who is a farmer of an apple orchard by trade, Juliana Veturius was once a simple villager whose family was struck by drought. Of all the divine it was the God of Dreams who helped, and ever since she has been his faithful follower. Yet with the introduction of the mortal guide to the gods’ schemes Juliana’s certainty has begun to falter, for she does not know if all her devotion will be for naught or if they are the answer to her prayers.

Juliana can be found at her orchard outside the Eastern Gate in the morning. She likes the Threadbare Outfit, and can be easily influenced by those with clout (Wonder skill), integrity (General trait), and like-minded pride (low Humility personality). She likes to hang out with Ia, and in-between tending to her orchard and doom-saying, she’s won the Pumpkin Carving Competition three times in a row. If she’s not fond of anyone it’d be Nestor, not due to personality but simply because he is a priest of an opposing god.

Raine Pacian, the affable landlord
Description: Friendly face, brown-hair, easily sunburned - many can give a description of Raine Pacian if one asked on the street, for he is the landlord of countless homes around the Slums. Growing up at his mother’s spice stall in the Market, only he could tell you how he cheated the city’s most dangerous crime lord out of many of his tenants, but now he has a small neighborhood empire of his own. Although he’s known for ever-changing infatuations, the truth of his feelings, like the truth of that card game, is one he holds close to his chest.

Raine can be found in the Slums in the evening. He likes the Pleasant Outfit, and can be easily influenced by those with charisma (Charm skill), leadership (Ruler trait), and like-minded callousness (low Sensitivity personality). He’s been friends with Anselm since childhood, to the point that they consider each other family, and together they’ve been fanboying over past charioteers and now taking part in races themselves. Although Raine doesn’t like Dathus because Dathus doesn’t like him, he truly disliked Dathus’ father and would cheat him again even knowing what would occur.

Restituta Benjamin, the restless hunter
Description: A perpetually frowning, green-cloaked woman considered to be the best hunter Tarkar has ever seen, Restituta Benjamin once lived in a nearby village as the eldest of six children. After the war and the king’s taxes hit her village, she decided to go look for a certain treasure to pay off her family’s debts, and in the process stumbled into the city. Although all Restituta knows is her responsibility and life as a hunter, she’s looking for a reason to stay in Tarkar permanently.

Restituta can be found in the Market in the afternoon. She likes the Sturdy Outfit, and can be easily influenced by those with spirit (Vitality skill), physicality (Physical Trait), and like-minded calmness (high Serenity personality). Her best friend is Agatha, and although she’s not very good, has been learning how to dance with the tambourine for the next Music Competition. Restituta considers Soteris a rival, as she is also taking part.

Average Playthrough: ???
Total Word Count: ~486,000

DEMO: The Judgement of Tarkar

Changelog

10/21/2023

• ROs chosen
  • Added Eastern Fields to Adventure Mode
  • Added benedictions to Adventure Mode

0/18/2020

• Added Month 3.
  • Added Month 4.
  • Added Month 5.
  • Added Friendship Event I for all characters.
  • Added Friendship Event II for all characters.
  • Added Chestnut Forest and Sorceress Events.
  • Added Adventure Mode.
  • Added Phaia’s Bakery and Tin Slade’s Smithy.
  • Altered Checkpoint System.

6/4/2019

• Fixed continuity up to month 2, week 3.
  • Added scenes in month 2, weeks 3 - 5.
  • Altered a scene in month 2, week 3.
  • Added progress page in stats.
  • Added first job event for shopkeeper, servant, thief, and sorcerer.
  • Added first Agatha friendship event.
  • Added hobby weekend scenes.
  • Added randomize birthday option.

3/28/2019

• Altered first palace district scene.
  • Altered name choice.
  • Altered weekend choice.
  • Added first town crier job event.
  • Removed old prologue.

3/22/2019

• Fixed typos/grammar/spelling/continuity up to month 2, week 2.
  • Added new prologue and new skip prologue.
  • Added plot lines into checkpoint system.
  • Added job events professional mourner and hunter.
  • Added use inventory option.
  • Added and altered achievements.
  • Altered first Palace District scene.
  • Altered Manahen and Terentia’s weekend results.

1/4/2019

• Added the job event for the alchemist.
  • Added Silver’s Alchemy Shop.
  • Altered the checkpoint system.

12/18/2018

• Added eye/hair color customization.
  • Added a scene to month 2, week 2.
  • Altered a scene in month 2, week 2.
  • Added scenes for month 2, week 3.
  • Added first job event for farmer and innkeeper.
  • Added Anselm’s General Store and five new clothes.

12/9/2018

• Fixed typos/grammar/spelling/continuity up to month two, week 1.
  • Added birthday customization.
  • Added options to thank (or not thank) Harja.
  • Added scenes for month two, week 2.
  • Added six more jobs to be unlocked.
  • Added ability to travel to Chestnut Forest.
  • Added first minor event.
  • Added shopping district and five new clothes to buy.

12/1/2018

• Fixed typos/grammar/spelling/continuity up to month one, week 5.
  • Added save system.
  • Added checkpoint system.
  • Added a scene for month two, week 1.
  • Changed choice method when first meeting characters.

11/25/2018

• Fixed typos/grammar/spelling/continuity up to month one, week 4.
  • Fixed an issue where Harja wasn’t giving any money for the week.
  • Added another “heading home” scene for week 4.
  • Added a few scenes for week 5, including meeting the potentate and the judge.

11/14/2018

• Fixed typos/grammar/spelling/continuity up to month one, week 3.
  • Added another Harja scene in month one, week 2.
  • Added two Harja scenes (for month one, weeks 3 and 4) and another “heading home” scene that changes depending on who you met the previous week for month one, week 3.
215 Likes

This is a master piece the writing and story are outstanding

7 Likes

This had me grinning like a fool. I’m glad you enjoyed it. :blush:

6 Likes

An interesting take on the classical story of gods’ judgement. Can I say that your dialogues were awesome? I love how pompous the gods sound. Writing in such manner in speaking, while retaining a normal level of coherency ain’t easy (at least for my standards), so all more power to you :fire:

The gods in your story, what inspired their creation? Did you use any existing religion for reference and if yes, which one?

Also found this

will be a boon

6 Likes

Wow! Let me just say this is such an amazing first demo! I’m already so enamored with the story and your writing, it’s phenomenal. :blush: I wish you luck on the project! :revolving_hearts:

4 Likes

I really liked it so far! The gods’ dialogues were amazing and the idea in general is so, so interesting!

2 Likes

Ha ha, thank you. That’s the feeling I was going for. :blush:

I would say bits and pieces from all different myths, but the foundation would probably be Greek and Sumerian. Also, thanks for telling me about the typo! If anyone sees any others, please don’t hesitate to point them out.

Thank you! :hugs:

Thank you! I’m glad everyone is liking the gods’ dialogues. :hugs:

3 Likes

I love my nickname The Reluctant Guide. lol

2 Likes

This gives off a very Meet Joe Black vibe mixed with a few other things (I wanted to make another movie reference but the exact title escapes me).

I liked quite a bit of what I read so far. I hope that the child of the Goddess of Hearth will start meddling a bit more. Not necessarily with their powers but rather becoming more nosy in the affairs of mortals in an attempt to understand them further or to change them, perhaps guided by naivete.

I wonder if injustices/harm will befall the protagonist and if we’ll be forced to juggle righteousness with self-preservation and/or more selfish first-reactions. Perhaps with consequences to livelihood or well-being to the overly selfless protagonist.

Or if the other Gods more fearful of the Hearth’s judgement will begin to interfere, leading to further complications.

A critique, however: I noticed that, most times, the child of the Goddess disapproves of your actions if you’re non-committal or harsh. I was hoping there would be more actions where the protagonist is reluctant or blunt but still morally good/righteous instead of having to act with pure candidness to sway the child. It just left the impression that you have to be goofy and vulnerable for the sake of good. Giving the option for a more jaded hero without being punished during a Saviour route would be a welcomed addition.

All in all it was great fun and I look forward to see how it expands and develops.

5 Likes

How to put it? I love it. XD

Also, I wonder how is Harja when romanced lol, I mean, I’m having a hard time imagining how they would behave xD. They are just… Well, quirky if that’s the word.

1 Like

That’s my favorite nickname too. :laughing:

Thank you! Harja will definitely start meddling more (you’ll soon find out they aren’t too pleased they can’t enter the Palace District and want you to do something about it, lol), although it’s up to you change people, if you so choose. Harja’s role is to be an impartial judge, and they take that very seriously… at least, for now.

Let’s just say there’s a reason why Ilatsal and Sarpet’s opinions of you are noted in the prologue. :wink:

As someone who loves playing the jaded hero myself, don’t worry. It is entirely possible to do the savior routes as a jaded hero (or even as a straight up villain).

I will say that disapproving comments from Harja doesn’t necessarily mean what you said or did was bad, and anything positive from them doesn’t necessarily mean what you said or did was moral. Harja may be judging the city for righteousness on behalf of the Goddess of the Hearth, but some gods are more righteous than others… and Harja’s still figuring out which sort of god they are. In other words, Harja’s opinion of you or their peanut gallery commentary is not connected to your morality or the city’s morality.

They ask advice from their father, the God of War. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :frowning:

3 Likes

I can’t wait to read more of this and be able to get to know the characters better.

1 Like

Very interesting, had me reading everything in one go, which I hadn’t done with any of the more recent demos

1 Like

Thank you! The first month is mostly an introduction to all the characters, but depending on who you meet you can start to see which characters are friends, which are enemies, and in Nestor and Ambrose’s case, which are frenemies. :laughing:

Thank you, especially since I didn’t warn how long it was going to be! :blush:

1 Like

…the God of War… xD I don’t know but, if you were in my place and were to read that it’s the God of War that they ask advises for… I don’t know what to expect, I mean, sure I may be judging him from his status of God of War and that doesn’t mean he gives bad advises or something concerning romance but… are these advises legit or are these who lead to comic situations? XD

2 Likes

Well, the advice is legit, but Harja’s relationship is definitely a tragicomedy. Their reactions/how they go about following that advice are comedic and over-the-top even in their sincerity. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Honestly, the God of War is actually one of the sweetest in Heaven. There’s a reason why the Goddess of the Hearth had a child with him. Although everything Harja knows about divine retribution they had learned from him, so… :fearful:

4 Likes

My first thought was Jonah preaching to Nineveh, though any of the (many) prophets sent to Israel/Judah would for just as well. Which one were you thinking of?

1 Like

I figured most would think of Sodom and Gomorrah, as that’s the one always mentioned, but I was thinking of Jonah! Ha ha. :flushed:

I originally didn’t want to say Jonah because a certain character cough Juliana cough is based on him, and if you know his story then you know that their motives aren’t as they seem, but now I realize that the reader can figure that out since I put Harja’s opinion of that certain character’s morality in the breakfast discussion already… so I’ll probably remove that line in the post later.

Anyway, thanks for checking out my game!

Whoops, sorry if I spoiled anything! I didn’t actually catch the Jonah reference in the demo, he was just the first one that came to mind when I thought of “prophet sent to warn doomed city”. Not sure why, he just popped up.

1 Like

Thank you all so much for your replies! It really cheered me on, and so here’s another update:

Average Playthrough: ~16,000
Total Word Count: ~104,000

Fixed typos/grammar/spelling/continuity up to month one, week 3. There’s quite a bit here, but two examples: Harja is no longer the one to bring up the sorceress if you haven’t met Anselm yet before meeting Restituta, and no matter which week you meet Soteris now she’ll say the correct date.

Added another Harja scene in month one, week 2. The housing council, and the palace district, are ever looming on the horizon.

Added two Harja scenes (for month one, weeks 3 and 4) and another “heading home” scene that changes depending on who you met the previous week for month one, week 3. You’ll also get a an item for your house that changes depending on which Harja scene you do first.

Lastly, since we finally reached the end of week four, it’s possible to meet all the characters (except for the potentate and the judge, who are still behind the gates of the Palace District) in one playthrough. If you have any opinions of them, or anything else so far, please do tell! :hugs:

12 Likes