The Judgement of Tarkar [WIP Updated 10/18/2020: Month Five and Adventure Mode!]

I really don’t get why this WIP doesn’t get more attention. You have a really well written and polished game here. I don’t comment often anymore but I had to let you know this a gem and something that deserves a lot more attention. Nice work.

5 Likes

Thank you! I always get encouraged by every comment, and I’m glad you think it’s well written. I’m always open to suggestions to make it even more polished and fun! :blush:

5 Likes

This is a great game you have going with proper plot and developed characters, apart from a few grammar issues its brilliant keep up the good work

2 Likes

Thanks! Hopefully I’ll be able to catch those grammar issues as I edit. And I’m glad you like the characters – the next update should have more of the friendship events so you’ll be able to learn more about them. :smile:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Opened at author’s request

New Update for 10/18/2020! :partying_face:

Added Month 3: Deal with the Housing Council! Gather all the evidence against them – or purposely fail to get on their good side. Force their leader out of the city, gain a house, or do both and claim leadership for yourself!

Added Month 4: The potentate has been attacked! No one’s allowed into the palace, but that’s not stopping Harja. Use your connections made through work and obtain the help of nobility or a group of thieves to enter, or disguise yourself as an ambassador from another city! Or perhaps you’ll do neither, and find the secret passage…

Added Month 5: Deal with the peasants’ rebellion! It’s time to learn the assassin’s identity, but will the potentate believe your word? Speak the truth or simply guess, blame someone or be imprisoned yourself, either way you may just receive the Key to the City (and even a mine!) or answer the peasants’ prayers.

Added Friendship Event I for all characters: Begin to learn about everyone through their hobbies, and join in the fun too!

Added Friendship Event II for all characters: Discover why Dathus hates Raine because of a card game against a crime lord, and hear from Aquila about why he knows so much about spies. Find out how Terentia rose to become a judge while Agatha fell to become an orphan, and learn more about the gods with Ilatsal and Sarpet. Answer their questions carefully, it may just affect their futures.

Added Chestnut Forest and Sorceress Events: Visit Chestnut Forest and find the Sorceress! Will you be able to answer her questions about yourself, or will you seek out other ways to receive her spells and curses?

Added Adventure Mode: Explore the mountains beyond the city gates! Fight strange creatures, gather what the Sorceress seeks, see unique sights, and speak with an odd bunch of people! Will you find the hidden Sword of Ilatsal or will you relax at the Icehouse? Don’t worry if you get lost: you’ll always have a handy map that changes to your location to show you the way!

Added Phaia’s Bakery and Tin Slade’s Smithy: You’ll need food and weapons when you go exploring outside the city walls! Visit Phaia’s Bakery to buy treats that’ll heal your spirit and boost your skills, or take a look through Tin Slade’s Smithy for weapons to fight with.

Altered Checkpoint System: No longer are checkpoints divided by months – now you can save and load three files at the beginning the weeks as you wish. There is also an autosave file that saves at the beginning of each month, too!

Average Playthrough: Normally I’d give an average word count as well, but randomtest has a sweet tooth and likes visiting the bakery a bit too much.

Adventure Mode still needs more treasure to find and less bland fighting dialogue, so if there’s something you want to see please tell me! I can also finally put up that romance poll now that Friendship Event II lets everyone get a better sense of the characters.

I’d love to hear any feedback you have! :smile:

16 Likes

This update was amazing! Loved the friendship events. Also lowkey really like the sorceress :+1:t2:

2 Likes

I really love what I played so far. Although I do have a problem. I don’t know if it’s a bug but I told Harja that I saw the word smoke and yet he couldn’t go to the meeting and the game act as if I didn’t tell him the password. Although I did? I didn’t see an option to tell him directly the password tho?

1 Like

I reach that point and can I ask what trait do we need to claim the leadership ?

2 Likes

This is such a great story, I’ve finished the first playthrough and ready for a few more. It’s so well written and I can tell a lot of thought and care has gone into it. Really nice work!

1 Like

Think I can bribe it with sweetrolls and honey-crusted walnuts?

1 Like

I got that as well, the first and second time I played. Not sure what the issue is.

1 Like

Thank you! The sorceress is a lot of fun to write – although you might like her less once you learn what her plans are for MCs that give her too much information. :smiling_imp:

Thanks! I figured out what the problem was, so hopefully everything should work now!

Thank you! I’m so happy everyone’s enjoying it enough to replay it! :grin:

:laughing:
You’ll need to bribe it with clothes too – in the latest randomtests it would buy all the outfits, head to the mountains to try everything on over and over again, and then fall to a sheep because it didn’t have enough money to buy a weapon.

I don’t think Raine has ever received the full rent from randomtest yet. :cry:

No matter what your highest stats are it’s possible to claim leadership! You need to focus on either gathering answers for Harja and proving to the Housing Council’s leader that there’s no chance you’ll play nice, or gather answers for yourself (and purposely fail to give them to Harja) to prove to the leader that you are to be trusted and actually capable. If you try to mix the two the leader won’t take the MC seriously enough to even consider hearing the idea of MC becoming the next leader.

Here’s a mini walkthrough if anyone needs more help:

Warning: spoilers!

Path 1: Threaten
In month 2, week 2, successfully learn who is involved with the Housing Council. Then, when Harja asks, tell them the truth. – OR, fail to learn but lie and successfully name one of the people anyway.
In month 2, week 4, learn about the two people who are being evicted. (In choices that look like this one, you can succeed if the stat is high enough as well as low enough (less than 10).)
In month 3, week 2, focus on the Council noblewoman and not the beggar. Successfully deal with the attack, and then answer her question based on the MC’s current personality.
In month 3, week 3, tell Harja what you learned from the noblewoman.
In month 3, week 5, when you greet the leader, choose either of the last two options (to show that you won’t play nice). Then, when the two people involved with the Council are asked to tell the truth, choose either of the first two options for both so they can reveal what’s been going on to Harja.

Path 2: Convince
In month 2, week 2, successfully learn who is involved with the Housing Council. Then, when Harja asks, do not tell them the truth so you fail to reach the widower’s house on time.
In month 3, week 2, focus on the Council noblewoman and not the beggar. Successfully deal with the attack, and then answer her question based on the MC’s current personality.
In month 3, week 3, do not tell Harja what you learned from the noblewoman.
In month 3, week 5, when you greet the leader, choose either of the first two options (to show the leader that you will play nice). Then, when the two people involved with the Council are asked to tell the truth, choose either of the last two options for both (again, to show the leader you are on his side).

3 Likes