The Hunt: Demon Eyes [Updated 08. July]

All I can say is well done, look forward to finding out more after the spell, the people we have met so far your descriptions are great I can close my eyes and visualise all of them, looking forward to finding out more about the MC’s background or their heritage.

Your writing is so descriptive without being to wordy, well done.

2 Likes

@LadyUmbreon89 Just like the whole trust/wariness stat, this choice was only added with this update and to be honest I’m still not sold on it, I will probably rewrite this section for the next update.

Just like I’m pushing the stat balancing to a later point, because like the noob I am I have to figure out how to do that the best x)

But I made a note and will see what I can make out of that section ^^

@Jordan_Kelley

Common Demons, like this one, don’t really have a physical form, at least not one humans would be able to process as such (imagine weird floaty eldritch horror) and they can’t survive long in our dimension without a host because of that. Hence why they even possess humans in the first place.

There are some efforts to have them possess corpses and… extend the expiration date with magic, but there are mixed feelings on that, as you can imagine x)

@Zenobrighter :yellow_heart: :yellow_heart: :yellow_heart: Thank you so much! That’s such a great compliment <3 Glad you like it so far ^^

5 Likes

@tiranka
Just a thought when we get our weapon, i feel like we shouldn’t point it as Lupita at all. Atleast not unintentionally, seeing as we are trained with whatever weapon we are holding i just don’t see someone trained to use a weapon accidently pointing it at someone. (maybe this is more specific to guns but MC does still point whatever weapon we have at Lupita)

Perhaps rather then pointing our weapon at Lupita accidently she could instead get uncomfortable at the get go, when you pick it up. Which would make sense (even if she doesn’t know you’re a hunter that is a hunters weapon) and then she could ask you to put it down then you could have the option to put it down, point it at her, etc.

Sorry if i’m being nitpicky, i don’t intend to be.

As a finish off i wanted to say i love the story so far aswell as all the characters. There hasn’t been a single one whos come across as bland, all of them have their own personality and uniqueness which i love.

1 Like

Nah, don’t worry about it! It’s what this thread is for, after all.

I see your point, but I will have to think about it. That would be a huge section to re-write, mainly because it has (at least slightly) different variations.

But I noted it down and will see what I can do ^^

And thank you so much! I’m glad the characters are enjoyable, I love writing them all <3

3 Likes

@domthestar @tiranka
That last comment made me curious.
I wasn’t bothered at all by this scene. It was the opposite even, I liked it a lot. It may depend on how one plays the MC though? I mean, if it feels natural or not. Or maybe it’s just my interpretation?
The MC may say mentally he’s mostly worried, but let’s be real, he suffered an extreme trauma, and you can see that in most if not all scenes. You CAN’T be okay right after that. I mean, he woke up the same day this is all happening. And well, as open minded as he may be, depending on the playstyle, he’s still in supernatural central, basically, and his instincts obviously rear their heads all the time. He may obey them or resist the urges, but you can’t get rid of something like that so quickly, especially in extreme stress situations.
Not to mention he was nervous about not having his weapons, and thinking about that a couple of times. At that moment, he finally got his hands on weapons he’s comfortable with, and his mind strayed a bit, probably still under the effect of exhaustion and stuff. And then suddenly, Lup surprises him, waking him from his reverie. The only thing he senses at that moment is “Behind me! Werewolf! Weapons ready!”. I didn’t feel like it was related to not being able to use his weapons properly or any training issue. It’s because of his good training that he did that.

I mean, it’s my opinion and I’m kinda butting in, but I was surprised someone disliked that part, so I wanted to say what I think about it. I hope you don’t mind?

10 Likes

I don’t mind at all, opinions and discussions are welcome to me ^^

I guess it really has to do with playstyle and what you feel is right for your MC, but I’m glad you enjoyed the scene! It was a beast with coding but fun to write :slight_smile:

It was indeed intended as a moment of being distracted and Lup startling the Hunter. Considering even professionals fuck up at times and under certain circumstances… Well, maybe I can make that a bit clearer. It would be easier than rewriting the scene.

But again, both valid points and I will think about it. ^^

3 Likes

I wasn’t nesesarily bothered by the scene. I quite liked it actually, i was simply putting in my 2 cents. In the situation it could make sense for them to drop to instinct due to trauma.

Thinking about it now my perspective may have differed from what the mc might think. I was thinking about it from the training perspective that i have, which was that under no circumstance do you ever point a weapon at anyone unless you intend to kill them with it. (ie essentially never) Whereas a hunters training probably would have been to get ready to fight and possibly kill with your weapon. (i presume they would also get safety training but possibly to a lesser extent then combat itself)

Perhaps it would we simpler (and also make perfect sense) to simply make it that the mc is startled and goes into flight or fight more clear. (as @tiranka has already mentioned) perhaps having Lupa do something which might cause a bit more of a startle?

2 Likes

Ah, I also have another random question I’m a bit lazy to check out. When you select how does your character’s hair look like, at some point they notice something while looking themselve out, and you get the option to select either that it was a trick of the light, or that there’s a gray hair. Is this a subtle way to customize the hunter’s age?

2 Likes

Not really, it’s mostly just flavoring.

If you select it, you will be informed that the gray streak appeared likely due to the stress your body went through.
You can use it as a signal of aging too, I guess. Though in-game, it will be assumed that you didn’t have it before and therefore went through some shit to go gray.

4 Likes

Okay, thanks! Makes sense. If that’s the explanation in game, then I may actually change my choice and select that in future runs.

I think it’s obvious from my talks about the Lupita scene with the weapon, but I really like the fact you don’t downplay the trauma the MC went through, and that it can show more or less depending on your choices (like that choice with Bas, by the end, where you could select an option where the MC is clearly getting unconfortable and stressed out about that). It would be so easy to make a MC who overcomes that quicky and then the story moves on. But it’s way more interesting the way it is. It’s especially nice since usually the stories that actually show the effects of trauma tend to be overall very grim and dark. But that isn’t the case here, so it makes for a nice equilibrium I guess.

2 Likes

The demo was always lovely, but the update was soooo fuckin good.

I’m kinda roleplaying a Dean-like mindset (aka all monsters are bad with slight doubt but killing them is a must) and I just …Iove this lmao.

4 Likes

Sunday update 12.07

Big week this week, because chapter 2 was finally added to the demo! Next will be adding Xiuying’s route to chapter 2, I already have some ideas on what that will entail, but I haven’t started writing yet and instead took a little break.

Thanks to everyone for pointing out errors, making suggestions, and giving feedback!

I had a lot of fun answering questions, and I’m so happy about all the lovely comments for the story, the writing, and the characters <3

I would not be as motivated as I am right now without you guys <3

There are already the first wishes for adding in Nasim as a RO, as well as questions about possible poly-options. Not to mention the brief discussion of in which direction the Demon’s relationship could develop. On tumblr and here.

Next week I plan on starting the first draft of Xiuying’s route, but it also is the last week of the uni for the summer, I probably won’t get too far.

Other than that, I also want to remind you guys of the poll for the 300+ followers on tumblr event.

You can vote on a character for whom you’d like to read a backstory short. You can vote more than once, but please don’t overdo it (like voting ten times for the same character). I will post the story here too, under a summary in the first post.

Link to the poll is here ^^ The poll closes on the 20th so that should be more than enough time ^^

And that’s it from my side this week :smiley:

Thank all of you again! I had a fun week thanks to you guys <3

15 Likes

It occurs to me. Bas said Elian saved them when they were wounded and they know what Elian is. Combined with the quote on Elians tumblr page “The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple.". I theorise that Bas was attacked (possibly accidently) by Elian, they then felt bad about it and saved them.

This is of course just a theory, a theory based on extremely small amounts of information aswell. So the chance of it being right is quite low, but i figured i’d post it just to get the theory out there. Plus on the off chance i’m somehow right i can say i told ye so XD.

3 Likes

I’m not going to confirm or deny any theories but I love that they show up now and then x) :+1: :+1: :+1:

Love to read those and snicker to myself :wink:

6 Likes

That was really Fun! It was really unique and is
actually immersive in the supernatural world you made! Wow!

1 Like

@domthestar My thoughts exactly

@tiranka

Hmm, I don’t mind the presence of poly routes, but IF you make a poly route, will it be possible to still romance the individual characters? I’m not fond of poly, unless the game is literally centered about it.

4 Likes

IF I add them, then yes, everyone would still get solo routes, yes.

But I won’t decide anything yet, because I want to introduce all relevant characters first. ^^ That discussion will open after the 3rd or 4th chapter.

9 Likes

That heartbreaking feeling when you reach the end of the wip/demo ; - ;
We’ll be waiting for more!

3 Likes

So…I’m the only one waiting for the moment we can kill, something, someone?

2 Likes

In regards to someone (I‘m guessing you mean the supernatural NPCs?) Nope, not this book.

Something however… :wink:

4 Likes